Milita

Few questions of I-130 and 1-485 packages...

4 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I'm filling out allthe paperwork and have few questions, maybe somebody can help me!

To start, I was engagedto my now husband and planned to get married by the end of this year, but I cameto visit him last may (for two weeks), as I always did before… but we were sotired of traveling and saying good bye (for 4 years) that we decided to get marriedin that moment!

So now I'm in avisitor visa and I'm filling all the paperwork.. so here are my questions:

* Form I-130:

Part C, question 17

"Information aboutyour alien relative" "List husband/wife and all children of your relative"

Who do I have to listin that part? In the form example they put the USC name. In my case I'm the alien(wife), he is the USC.. what name do I have to put there?

Question 19

"Your relative's addressabroad"

If I'm already in theUnited States, do I have to write down my address abroad (well were I used tolive before coming to USA and getting married?

* I-130 package:

Do I need to submit anoriginal of my marriage certificate? Or just a photocopy?

What about my birthcertificate? Is it the original + translation or a photocopy + original translation?

In my country we alsouse the mother's last name, so I had two last names, for example PerezRodriguez … in almost all forms it ask me "Other names used (include Maiden Name)"..I list my second last name (Rodríguez in the example, because my I-94 has thislast name on it… and my last name after marriage is hyphen so I still have my maidenname… What do you guys think?

* Form I-765:

Question 16:"Eligibility categories"… I think mine is C9, can somebody confirm please?

Do I have to pay tosubmit this form? Under this category? I read something about not having to paythe $340 it cost…

* Form I-485:

Part 2: application type: I'm not sureif I have to check the letter a, since I'm submitting this form with the I-130package… ?

* Form I-864:

My husband is going tobe my sponsor. So in part 6, number 23: "My current individual annual incomeis"… should I write there the amount of money he reported in 2009 taxes?

* I-485 package:

I have two passports(my actual non expire one) and an expire one where my visitor USA visa is on…do I have to photocopy biographical page and entry stamps on the old passporttoo? Or just the photocopy of the page where the visitor visa is?

* I'm confuse on how manychecks do I have to send? Is it one for the I-130 form ($365), one for theI-864 ($70), one for the I-485 ($1,010)… and one for the I-765 ($??) That's all?

Thanks a lot for yourhelp!

I can't wait to submitall my packages to start my timeline! This site is great! smile.gif

05/20/2006 Started dating

12/23/2008 Engaged

06/16/2010 Married

07/21/2010 AOS package sent (I-130, I-485, I-765)

07/23/2010 Package received in Chicago

07/29/2010 Checks cashed!

07/29/2010 NOA1

08/07/2010 Received letter for biometrics appointment

08/31/2010 Biometrics appointment

• 2 weeks later...

See answers below next to your questions:

* Form I-130:

Part C, question 17

"Information about your alien relative" "List husband/wife and all children of your relative"

Who do I have to listin that part? In the form example they put the USC name. In my case I'm the alien(wife), he is the USC.. what name do I have to put there?

Remember, this is your husband's form, not yours, so technically he is completing it. So fill it from his perspective. By this logic: you are his relative, and he is your husband, therefore list him under this question. This question does not care who is the USC, just who is the spouse of the relative for whom the petition is made.

Question 19

"Your relative's address abroad"

If I'm already in the United States, do I have to write down my address abroad (well were I used tolive before coming to USA and getting married?

You are not abroad, you are in the US and live here with him (presumably), therefore the answer is "N/A" - not applicable.

* I-130 package:

Do I need to submit an original of my marriage certificate? Or just a photocopy?

Always submit photocopies, never originals. If they need originals, they will request them and will return them when done. This information is contained in the instructions, read the instructions carefully.

What about my birth certificate? Is it the original + translation or a photocopy + original translation?

Again, photocopy plus translation. A computer printed translation done by yourself suffices. Just add at the bottom the "Certification by Translator" paragraph, found here: General Tips on Assembling Applications for Mailing.

In my country we also use the mother's last name, so I had two last names, for example PerezRodriguez … in almost all forms it ask me "Other names used (include Maiden Name)"..I list my second last name (Rodríguez in the example, because my I-94 has thislast name on it… and my last name after marriage is hyphen so I still have my maidenname… What do you guys think?

The way I would answer this is: under Name put your current name AS IT APPEARS ON YOUR OFFICIAL CURRENT IDENTIFICATION, presumably a passport. If your current passport reflects your married name, then use that under Name. Under Other Names Used put your previous name used before marriage; if that name is double and includes your mother's name, then put that down.

* Form I-765:

Question 16:"Eligibility categories"… I think mine is C9, can somebody confirm please? C9 is correct.

Do I have to pay tosubmit this form? Under this category? I read something about not having to paythe $340 it cost…

The current instructions to this form do not say anything about not paying the fee for this category. On page 8 of the instructions, found here, it does say that there is no need to pay if filed together with I-485, but that was back in 2007. The instructions look like they have been updated in Feb-10, so I think now there is a fee.

* Form I-485:

Part 2: application type: I'm not sureif I have to check the letter a, since I'm submitting this form with the I-130package… ?

Letter A is correct.

* Form I-864:

My husband is going tobe my sponsor. So in part 6, number 23: "My current individual annual incomeis"… should I write there the amount of money he reported in 2009 taxes?

Not necessarily: say someone makes 50,000 a year, but if they put away 10,000 in an IRA retirement account, only 40,000 will be reported on the tax return. Put here the gross income earned from his job: if it's a salary then the gross salary - take the gross pay as per his paycheck and multiply by the number of pay periods per year; if it's an hourly job, multiply the hourly rate by the number of hours he expects to work this year. Hope this makes sense.

* I-485 package:

I have two passports(my actual non expire one) and an expire one where my visitor USA visa is on…do I have to photocopy biographical page and entry stamps on the old passporttoo? Or just the photocopy of the page where the visitor visa is?

Just the photocopy of the page with your current visitor visa, that you used to enter the US the last time.

* I'm confuse on how manychecks do I have to send? Is it one for the I-130 form ($365), one for theI-864 ($70), one for the I-485 ($1,010)… and one for the I-765 ($??) That's all?

Let me check my own package tonight and I will post back about that.

Thanks a lot for yourhelp!

I can't wait to submitall my packages to start my timeline! This site is great! smile.gif

10-Apr-08...Filing date for I-130/AOS/EAD/AP

02-May-08...Biometrics

31-Jul-08...EAD Card received

15-Sep-08...Interview (APPROVED)

27-Sep-08...GC received

03-Aug-10...Filed I-751 (Removal of Conditions)

06-Aug-10...NOA 1-yr Extension Letter

10-Sep-10...Biometrics

02-Dec-10...ROC approved! (Card production ordered)

When I filed back in 2008, the fees were $1,010 for the I-485 and $355 for the I-130. It looks like to that you need to add the I-864 fee and the I-765 fee. The instructions to those forms should clarify this.

10-Apr-08...Filing date for I-130/AOS/EAD/AP

02-May-08...Biometrics

31-Jul-08...EAD Card received

15-Sep-08...Interview (APPROVED)

27-Sep-08...GC received

03-Aug-10...Filed I-751 (Removal of Conditions)

06-Aug-10...NOA 1-yr Extension Letter

10-Sep-10...Biometrics

02-Dec-10...ROC approved! (Card production ordered)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

* Form I-765:

Question 16:"Eligibility categories"… I think mine is C9, can somebody confirm please?

Yes, your category is C9. No fee under the C9 category.

One check for the i-130, and one check for the i-485. That's it.

Instructions on i-864 was confusing to me too. So I wrote a $70 check for the i-864, but USCIS returned it.

All other questions answered by previous poster already :)

AOS 05/08/10 - sent05/14/10 - receipt date on NOAs - transferred to National Benefits Center06/14/10 - Biometrics Done - Lawrence, MA (original appt)07/26/10 - Interview - APPROVED!!07/30/10 - Welcome letter rec'd (notice date: 07/26)08/05/10 - Green Card (&EAD) Received! - 2 months and 28 days total!ROC 04/28/12 - ROC package sent05/03/12 - check cashed05/04/12 - NOA1 received - dated 05/01/1206/07/12 - Biometrics done02/07/13 - Approved (status update via text msg)02/14/13 - Ten year Green card receivedNaturalization07/26/13 - eligible (90 day window opened 4/27/13)02/24/14 - N-400 sent to Dallas03/04/14 - Check cashed & case accepted (update via txt & email)03/10/14 - Biometrics appt letter rec'd (scheduled for 03/28/13)03/28/14 - Biometrics done04/01/14 - In line for interview 04/03/14 - Case status change to scheduled for interview04/10/14 - interview letter rec'd 5/13/14 - interview 6/3/14 - in line for oath 6/30/14 - Scheduled for oath

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.