7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I have a few questions about responding to an RFE. When I (USC)and my husband (applying for permanent resident) first sent in our application I was the only sponsor. Although I make 125% of the poverty line, I do not expect to maintain this income for 2010. Therefore, I think the safest thing to do is to have my father be a co-sponosor. I have a few questions about this:

1. My father receives about 16,400/yr in social security retirement. He also receives about 7,000/yr in a pension. I believe the SS retirement income counts as income, but does the pension also count?

2. We would also like to include my mother's income (who is married to my father and living in his household). Can we combine my mother's and father's income?

3. Can we simply respond to the RFE by saying we now want my father to be a joint sponsor and send it the forms? Or would we have to somehow start the process all over again?

4. My husband works and earns way more than myself and my parents. Can we just say in the letter that we'd like his income to be considered as well?

Thanks so much for any advice.

I have a few questions about responding to an RFE. When I (USC)and my husband (applying for permanent resident) first sent in our application I was the only sponsor. Although I make 125% of the poverty line, I do not expect to maintain this income for 2010. Therefore, I think the safest thing to do is to have my father be a co-sponosor. I have a few questions about this:

1. My father receives about 16,400/yr in social security retirement. He also receives about 7,000/yr in a pension. I believe the SS retirement income counts as income, but does the pension also count?

Yes, I'm sure the pension would count

2. We would also like to include my mother's income (who is married to my father and living in his household). Can we combine my mother's and father's income?

In order to do this, your father fills out the I-864, and your mother fills out an I-864A. As you follow the forms, you'll see where her income gets incorporated into the I-864 and added to your father's.

3. Can we simply respond to the RFE by saying we now want my father to be a joint sponsor and send it the forms? Or would we have to somehow start the process all over again?

I would respond specifically to what they asked for in the RFE (I can't remember, was it employer letter or proof of individual income?) Put a cover letter on the whole thing explaining that you are 1) Responding to their specific request, 2) Including a joint sponsor's affidavit if it is required.

4. My husband works and earns way more than myself and my parents. Can we just say in the letter that we'd like his income to be considered as well?

Usually, I would say yes, but I think that you mentioned previously that this was not a permanent position...You could request that this be included in the cover letter...

Thanks so much for any advice.

Can you remind us if you are living with your parents? I can't remember if I've asked before.

Edited by Nik+Heather

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Can you remind us if you are living with your parents? I can't remember if I've asked before.

Thanks so much for the response, Nik, this is very helpful. No, we are not living with my parents. So I believe my parents would just have to make enough for a 3 person household (my parents + my husband). They wouldn't have to make enough for a 4 person household (+me) correct?

Thanks again.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Zimbabwe
Timeline

Thanks so much for the response, Nik, this is very helpful. No, we are not living with my parents. So I believe my parents would just have to make enough for a 3 person household (my parents + my husband). They wouldn't have to make enough for a 4 person household (+me) correct?

Thanks again.

Are you one of their dependents? I.e. do they claim you on tax forms? If yes, you're counted. If no, it's only the 3 of them.

Married - 3/12/10

AOS Filed - 5/13/10

Biometrics received - 6/5/10

Biometrics done - 6/9/10

RFE Received 6/10/10

Touched - 6/7/10, 6/16/10, 6/17,10 (all)

RFE delivered - 6/29/10

Resumed processing - 6/30/10

EAD Production Ordered - 7/2/10, 7/8/10, mailed 7/15/10

Touched - 7/6/10, 7/8/10 (485, 765)

Touched EAD - 7/16/10

EAD Received!! - 7/17/10

Interview - August 30, 8:45- Approved!

Are you one of their dependents? I.e. do they claim you on tax forms? If yes, you're counted. If no, it's only the 3 of them.

No, they don't claim me. One other question, from my reading of the forms although her income is included and she completes I-864A my mother is NOT a joint sponsor. Just my father, correct?

Really appreciate the help.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Zimbabwe
Timeline

No, they don't claim me. One other question, from my reading of the forms although her income is included and she completes I-864A my mother is NOT a joint sponsor. Just my father, correct?

Really appreciate the help.

I thought they were both "on the hook," so to speak, but I'm not 100% positive.

Married - 3/12/10

AOS Filed - 5/13/10

Biometrics received - 6/5/10

Biometrics done - 6/9/10

RFE Received 6/10/10

Touched - 6/7/10, 6/16/10, 6/17,10 (all)

RFE delivered - 6/29/10

Resumed processing - 6/30/10

EAD Production Ordered - 7/2/10, 7/8/10, mailed 7/15/10

Touched - 7/6/10, 7/8/10 (485, 765)

Touched EAD - 7/16/10

EAD Received!! - 7/17/10

Interview - August 30, 8:45- Approved!

I thought they were both "on the hook," so to speak, but I'm not 100% positive.

I think they are, but my dad is the official sponsor and my mother is just a household member. In other words, when my father completes form 864 he identifies himself as the "only joint sponsor" instead of one of "two joint sponsors." If anyone can verify this I'd appreciate it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.