venassa

Proof of ties to Canada

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

When i was crossing at the Ambassador bridge to go to the Detroit airport to fly to Atlanta and visit Joe I had my package of information that included a copy of our I-129f and NOA1 (the NOA2 took nearly 7 months so there was a lot of travel before it arrived). I always said I was going to the airport to fly to Atlanta to visit my fiance and would be back on xxxx date. I volunteered that much and on the majority of times was just waved through. I was pulled into secondary inspection twice and I watched as they went through my package of ties to Canada. In each case when they got to the fiance petition paperwork they closed the file, returned it to me and told me I was good to go - so yes, bring a copy of the file as it verifies the information you are providing about your visit and shows that you have already initiated the paperwork for the proper visa process. It does seem to count as good evidence.

Good luck.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Like Katheryn says about bringing the petition, i brought my huge folder everytime. more often than not they looked at the noa and ignored the rest lol. they did not want to have to read it all. :) Actually they only did once, the very first time i tried to cross, then they put a bunch of stuff in the computer and after that it was easy. every time they would just ask me where are you going, for how long, when are you comming back with the occasional do you have your interview date yet.

HWDWm6.png

Timeline

That's right. I'm moving back to Sarnia (my hometown) so we can see each other more.

I've never crossed at the Ambassador Bridge or the tunnel. Did you ever use the tunnel? I imagine at some point I'll be crossing via one or the other. I'll probably get sick of driving the I-94 all the time, haha.

i always used the bridge when i lived in Windsor, was way way more easier and more friendly.

HWDWm6.png

Timeline

Hello. I have questions for Canadians who visited their fiancee in the U.S. I dont have the NOA or P3 or any immigration forms yet. I filed for a I-129F form and my fiancee recieved the reciept which I have the number of. So can I visit him? What should I bring with me, other then usual documents to proof im coming back to Canada? Should I go to the us customs here in montreal at the airport and ask them advice? and if they say try it why not then do the ticket there? what do u advice me? thanks. and good luck to everyone and have a wonderful time with ur loved ones when u see them for a bit or forever :)

the receipt is your first NOA or NOA1 as we call it. If you can get a copy of it and your original package you sent that would be very good to have on hand. Again it all comes down to the individual POE officer.

HWDWm6.png

Timeline

Thank you for the advice everyone! I crossed the border July 1st and the border guy was in the worst mood..he made me go to another officer who was really nice and all was good ;). I just stated I was visiting a friend (still waiting on Noa2)and then he asked me who paid for my plane ticket I said I did, and then said "oh no my freind did"...cause usually I do pay for my ticket! anyhow...my next visit is in September...and im flying to Vegas for a friends wedding and my fiancee will be meeting me there...then we are flying to Denver (he paid for my 1 way las-den)and from Denver im flying back home on my American Airlines points...so im a little nervous....again lol

No reason to say your friend. you can say your fiance, not like your doing anything illegal are you? by doing the k1 route you are doing the immigration process legally. no reason to lie or not state the truth. they can find out the info pretty quick in the computers if they want to, especially if they ask your your friends name. Just my .02.

HWDWm6.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.