Zenda

Preparing Documents for Interview

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Norway
Timeline

Thanks to the forms, letters and great advice of the VJ community, we feel that we have a pretty good handle on what's needed for the interview in Oslo. We have spent a great deal of time preparing the papers, and we are now working on the questions-and-answers for the interview.

However, we have a problem. While we have several excellent lists stating the forms and items needed for the interview... We aren't clear on whether some of these items must be originals or if a copy is sufficient. Some of these items, such as my financial proof, needs to be sent overseas to her. Paranoia says send everything, but then we run the small but possible risk of losing it in the mail.

Some of these are easy, some of them aren't. We'll start with the checklist of what she'll have in a binder folder when she goes to the interview.

Her Appointment Letter

Cash for interview fee (2360 kroner)

Her Passport, valid for six months beyond the intended date of entry into the United States

Her Police Certificate

My birth certificate (certified copy)

Her birth certificate (certified copy)

Divorce decree (mine) (certified copy)

Color photographs, passport dimensions, both of us

(There are no court records or military records. There is no marriage certificate.)

I-129F

Copy of all documents provided in I-129F that was sent to USCIS

NOA

NOA1 letter

NOA2 letter

I-134 Two of each

I-134 Form

My 2009 Tax Return (the one filed April 2010)

My 2008 Tax Return (the one filed April 2009)

My pay stubs (4 Months)

Letter from my work showing start date, salary and full time employment status

Letter from both of my banks with account balances, signed by a bank officer

Pages showing deposits, from both of my banks, for 2009 and 2010

Proof of Ongoing Relationship (we filed in March so we've included items from this point onward)

Boarding passes for May 2010 visit

Luggage tag for May 2010 visit

Receipts from stores during May 2010 visit

Account summary of debit card purcases during May 2010 visit

Email from Expedia with May 2010 airline and hotel info (4 pages)

12 pictures from May 2010 visit

Receipt for lost luggage that was delivered to me in my name at her address, signed by me, while I was visiting her

Skype call log from April 2010 to July 2010 (8 pages)

Skype conversation logs discussing wedding, dress, etc (16 pages)

The call logs, email logs, bank statements and several other forms were computer printouts with no signature or other mark that makes something an original or a copy. The photos were on a digital camera and I had them printed out on glossy photo quality and size paper. My birth certificate and my divorce certificate are certified copies from the appropriate counties; her birth certificate is also a certified copy. So I know those are okay to send because they're easily re-obtainable or reproducible.

So, the questions :

1. We are uncertain about the following :

NOA1 letter

NOA2 letter

My pay stubs (4 Months)

Receipt of an item that was delivered to me, signed by me, while I was visiting her

The NOA letters sound nightmarish to regain if lost. The pay stubs are small pieces of paper that were attached to my paychecks. The letters from my work and my banks have ink signatures, and the other items are small and un-reproducable. I've made photocopies of those. Do I need to send the originals of these or would a copy be enough?

2. Is there anything we might have missed? The embassy said the medical can be done after the interview, but we're getting it done next week (prior to the interview) and if there is anything from the medical that needs to be brought then we'll bring it as well.

Thank you,

Jim and Merete

Our Relationship

2007 Fall : We meet online and become good friends

2008 Summer : Our relationship becomes stronger and we fall in love without knowing it

2009 Spring : We meet in person... and everything just "clicks"

2010-01-07 : I propose... and she says yes!

Our K-1 Journey

2010-03-19 : I-129F Sent

2010-03-25 : NOA1

2010-05-14 : NOA2

2010-05-16 : NVC Received

2010-05-18 : NVC Left

2010-05-20 : Consulate Received

2010-05-26 : Packet 3 Received

2010-07-10 : Packet 3 Sent

2010-07-19 : Medical exam in Stavanger

2010-07-20 : Packet 4 Received

2010-08-04 : Interview in Oslo - APPROVED!

2010-08-26 : Port-Of-Entry, Los Angeles

2010-09-10 : Married!

Adjustment of Status

2010-10-29 : I-485 / I-765 / I-131 and related documents sent

2010-11-04 : Email notification, documents received

2010-12-02 : Website says I-765 and I-131 approved and to wait 30 days for the cards to arrive...

2010-12-08 : Biometrics appointment in Los Angeles. Very smooth, zero problems.

2010-12-14 : I-485 case transferred to CSC

2011-01-03 : Called USCIS because EAD and AP never recieved by us.

2011-01-18 : EAD received

2011-02-01 : I-485 Approved! Strangely enough, AP arrives in the mail; guess it was refiled on our behalf.

2011-02-04 : Green card in hand!

Thanks to the forms, letters and great advice of the VJ community, we feel that we have a pretty good handle on what's needed for the interview in Oslo. We have spent a great deal of time preparing the papers, and we are now working on the questions-and-answers for the interview.

However, we have a problem. While we have several excellent lists stating the forms and items needed for the interview... We aren't clear on whether some of these items must be originals or if a copy is sufficient. Some of these items, such as my financial proof, needs to be sent overseas to her. Paranoia says send everything, but then we run the small but possible risk of losing it in the mail.

Some of these are easy, some of them aren't. We'll start with the checklist of what she'll have in a binder folder when she goes to the interview.

Her Appointment Letter

Cash for interview fee (2360 kroner)

Her Passport, valid for six months beyond the intended date of entry into the United States

Her Police Certificate

My birth certificate (certified copy)

Her birth certificate (certified copy)

Divorce decree (mine) (certified copy)

Color photographs, passport dimensions, both of us

(There are no court records or military records. There is no marriage certificate.)

I-129F

Copy of all documents provided in I-129F that was sent to USCIS

NOA

NOA1 letter

NOA2 letter

I-134 Two of each

I-134 Form

My 2009 Tax Return (the one filed April 2010)

My 2008 Tax Return (the one filed April 2009)

My pay stubs (4 Months)

Pages showing deposits, from both of my banks, for 2009 and 2010

Proof of Ongoing Relationship (we filed in March so we've included items from this point onward)

Account summary of debit card purcases during May 2010 visit

Email from Expedia with May 2010 airline and hotel info (4 pages)

12 pictures from May 2010 visit

Receipt for lost luggage that was delivered to me in my name at her address, signed by me, while I was visiting her

Skype call log from April 2010 to July 2010 (8 pages)

Skype conversation logs discussing wedding, dress, etc (16 pages)

The call logs, email logs, bank statements and several other forms were computer printouts with no signature or other mark that makes something an original or a copy. The photos were on a digital camera and I had them printed out on glossy photo quality and size paper. My birth certificate and my divorce certificate are certified copies from the appropriate counties; her birth certificate is also a certified copy. So I know those are okay to send because they're easily re-obtainable or reproducible.

So, the questions :

1. We are uncertain about the following :

NOA1 letter

NOA2 letter

(not needed - since they have the application in hand (you were approved NOA2)

My pay stubs (4 Months)

Good for the 134.

Same as above.

(not needed if your current income is sufficient - and your not using assets.)

Good - but not needed. (USCIS has determined you visited in the 2yr rule at this point)

Not needed - just shows your luggage was there - not you...

good - but not needed.

Receipt of an item that was delivered to me, signed by me, while I was visiting her

Same as above.

The NOA letters sound nightmarish to regain if lost. The pay stubs are small pieces of paper that were attached to my paychecks. The letters from my work and my banks have ink signatures, and the other items are small and un-reproducable. I've made photocopies of those. Do I need to send the originals of these or would a copy be enough?

Send copies - you do not need originals unless it's asked for.

2. Is there anything we might have missed? The embassy said the medical can be done after the interview, but we're getting it done next week (prior to the interview) and if there is anything from the medical that needs to be brought then we'll bring it as well.

looks good to me..

Thank you,

Jim and Merete

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Norway
Timeline

Bobby+Umit, thank you for the helpful reply. :)

Jim and Merete

Our Relationship

2007 Fall : We meet online and become good friends

2008 Summer : Our relationship becomes stronger and we fall in love without knowing it

2009 Spring : We meet in person... and everything just "clicks"

2010-01-07 : I propose... and she says yes!

Our K-1 Journey

2010-03-19 : I-129F Sent

2010-03-25 : NOA1

2010-05-14 : NOA2

2010-05-16 : NVC Received

2010-05-18 : NVC Left

2010-05-20 : Consulate Received

2010-05-26 : Packet 3 Received

2010-07-10 : Packet 3 Sent

2010-07-19 : Medical exam in Stavanger

2010-07-20 : Packet 4 Received

2010-08-04 : Interview in Oslo - APPROVED!

2010-08-26 : Port-Of-Entry, Los Angeles

2010-09-10 : Married!

Adjustment of Status

2010-10-29 : I-485 / I-765 / I-131 and related documents sent

2010-11-04 : Email notification, documents received

2010-12-02 : Website says I-765 and I-131 approved and to wait 30 days for the cards to arrive...

2010-12-08 : Biometrics appointment in Los Angeles. Very smooth, zero problems.

2010-12-14 : I-485 case transferred to CSC

2011-01-03 : Called USCIS because EAD and AP never recieved by us.

2011-01-18 : EAD received

2011-02-01 : I-485 Approved! Strangely enough, AP arrives in the mail; guess it was refiled on our behalf.

2011-02-04 : Green card in hand!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.