Kukolka

How do you pay duty on vehicle?

10 posts in this topic

Suppose a Canadian is entering the US on a K-1 visa, and importing his car. Suppose when he gets to the border, it is determined that he needs to pay duty on his car. How do they want this paid? Cheque? Debit Card?

~ Long version of K-1 timeline in profile "About Me" ~

November 2007 - Met on Tortus server of Rappelz

3 October 2009 - Met IRL

13 November 2010 - POE Lewiston NY

28 November 2010 - Married!

23 December 2010 - Filed for AOS/EAD/AP

31 January 2011 - walk-in Biometrics

04 March 2011 - Green Card Production ordered - no interview

05 December 2012 - Mailed I-751

VJsig.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Ok, here's what you do:

You need to mail a letter to the manufacturer of your vehicle and request a letter saying that your vehicle conforms to US-standards. Easy and free. Takes about a month/6weeks last time I did it, the damn border folks in Montana didnt know what to think of me but I sure showed them! Its FREE....no duty, just a letter. Have fun.

b2gel0s1sc.png

We're a April 2009 K1 filer, see our timeline for specifics....:-)

Adjustment of Status

Event Date

Date Filed : 2009-01-31

Date: 2010-02-02

Bio. Appt. : 2010-03-09

EAD received: 2010-04-01

Interview Date 2010-04-29--APPROVED!

VISA IN HAND: 2010-05-28--WAHOOO!

You can also call. I got mine the same day I called, they faxed it. It's called a letter of compliance. Note most car companies require that your car be paid in full (if your financing was with them) before sending you the compliance letter. I also needed to show them my registration and my bill of sale.

If your fiance has owned his car for longer than 6 months he will not have to pay taxes or duty

12/31/2009 - Marriage

07/21/2010 - AOS approved

08/04/2010 - Green Card received (and it's actually green!)

05/30/2012 - Sent ROC packet to VSC

06/08/2012 - Received NOA1 for ROC (Dated 06/04/2012)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Also, depending on who manufactured your car, the letter of compliance may not be free. I know Ford and several other companies do charge a fee.

I've never heard that you had to have owned the vehicle for 6 months - basically it's just that most Canadian vehicles can be imported duty free.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/trade/basic_trade/importing_car.xml#DutiableEntry

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You are allowed to import 1 car on a k-1 for free. Duty is slapped on any other cars afterwards. You need the letter from the manufacturor like the others stated tho to be able to import it. I would guess you pay debit/credit. They may not take checks, but it also depends on what border your crossing too.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

OK, thank you for your answers.. He already does know about the letter of compliance, the exact fee for it from his vehicle's manufacturer, and plans to request it soon. I should have mentioned that.

I have read on this site that most people don't have to pay duty on their cars. A few have, and we want to be prepared. He may not have passed the six month mark by the time he POEs.

My real question is: if he has to pay duty on *anything*, *how* do they want it paid?

I don't have time to find out the POE now, will later. It's one of the ones to Buffalo, NY.

Edited by Kukolka

3 October 2009 - Met IRL

VJsig.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

If you had to pay duty on the car, my fiance' said he was told he could pay via credit card.

He was also told if the VIN starts with 5, then your car is covered under the Free Trade Agreement so you wouldn't have to pay duty at all.

I agree, duty has nothing to do with status crossing the border. I does have to do with whether a car was manufactured anywhere outside of North America plus time of ownership. In other words when you produce the registration and ownership papers you must have owned the vehicle more than one year or you will likely have to pay duty. NAFTA has changed things over dutry etc; also you have ten years to move your personal affects duty free when you finally import your household items etc.

You can also go to the border patrol site and in the search engine type in importing vehicles - this will give you some answers.

The letter of complaince proves the Canadian made vehicle complies with US standards; that's required. I have a two cars to import, a Canadian made Nissan which I've received the compliance letter for, and a US made Nissan - didn't need compliance on that but showed there are no recalls going on.

Good luck

2007 Nov 30: Met in Las Vegas, Nevada

2009 Jul 13: Proposed/Engaged in Sedona, Arizona

2009 Dec 26: Married in Tucson, Arizona

USCIS

2009 Dec 30: Filed I-130

2010 Jan 02: I-130 delivered

2010 Jan 07: NOA1 - email - CSC

2010 Jan 11: Received NOA1 hardcopy

2010 Mar 24: NOA2 - email & text - NVC

2010 Mar 29: Received NOA2 hardcopy

I-130 was approved in 76 days from NOA1 date

NVC

2010 Mar 30: NVC received - case# assigned - emails given to NVC

2010 Mar 30: Opted in - DS3032 emailed to NVC

2010 Mar 31: Received AOS bill & DS3032 - paid AOS

2010 Apr 05: Online payment portal confirms paid AOS(Apr 2 processing date)

2010 Apr 05: Sent I-864 package

2010 Apr 15: EP confirmation email

2010 Apr 15: IV bill generated & paid

2010 Apr 15: Email confirmation - receipt of DS3032

2010 Apr 16: IV bill confirmed paid - sent DS230 package

2010 Apr 19: NVC operator confirms I864 & DS230 documents have been received

2010 Apr 21: AVR confirms all documents received Apr 19th

2010 Apr 23: Email from NVC: case complete - confirmed by NVC - sign in fail

Completed in 24 days

CONSULATE

2010 May 27: Email from NVC - consulate received file - interview Montreal Jul 27th

2010 Jun 16: Medical @ Woking Medical Centre, Vancouver, Canada - APPROVED

2010 Jul 27: Interview @ US Consulate in Montreal, Canada - APPROVED

Your interview took 201 days from your I-130 NOA1 date

2010 Aug 13:POE Washington - APPROVED

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

2012 May 14 - mailed I-751

2012 May 16 - delivered @ CSC

2012 Jun 18 - I 551 stamp

2012 Jun 28 - biometrics appointment NOA notice date Jun 7

2012 Dec 20 - approved

I had to go to work and couldn't find out right then; the POE is Lewiston Bridge Complex in NY.

This page https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/238/kw/duty is... informative but bleh (don't have debit as an option) :(

So I called CBP today and the man I spoke to (at Vehicle Importations NY number) asked what kind of car it was, and said that kind of car would have been made in the US, Canada, or Mexico, and not be dutiable anyway. He said people entering on K visas don't need to pay duty on personal belongings, and asked if the car is in my fiance's name. He says there's no ATM at the POE. I kept badgering him with what-if's and he said if I'm that concerned about it I should be with my fiance. I thought, duh, I *want* to be with him, that's why we're getting married!! Then realised he meant be with him *when* he POEs. :bonk:

3 October 2009 - Met IRL

VJsig.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.