Harley10

Finding a job.

3 posts in this topic

Hi Folks,

I'm so sorry to read lots of you are having problems finding work here, I arrived in March and I was lucky enough to have loads of interview offers,I left my first job here after 5 weeks because it wasn't a company I wanted to have on my resume, but I was offered another job within 1 week of leaving.

My first tip is that while you are still in your country, look for a job here on Monster or where ever, contact the employer/ agency and tell them that you are due to arrive in the States and would love the opportunity to submit your resume, as this job is exactly the same as what you are currently doing in your country, how excited you would be for an opportunity to work with them blah blah .........

This is what I did before I arrived in the US and it paid off. The person at the first agency I rang took a personal interest in me and was actually the person who found me my current position.

My second tip is to be as confident as you can, ten times more confident than you would be in your country, tell them why you are the best person for the job, they expect it here, actually tell them to their face that you know you can do the job better than anyone else. Its a dog eat dog world here.

Third and last tip, when you first arrive here , you will meet a lot of new people, network, ask them what they do, tie it in with what you do and promote yourself. Cultivate a go getter attitude, you never know, by doing that opportunities may present themselves.

Good luck!!!

07-22-2005 Married my American Man in Galway Ireland.

04-02-2008 Gorgeous baby boy born.

12-16-2009 He got offered fab new job in MN USA , we're moving!

01-04-2010 Sent I-130 to Dublin US Embassy.

01-05-2010 Mailed requests for Irish Police Cert and UK Police Cert.

01-07-2010 Applied for and got approved for baby boys new US Passport.

01-11-2010 Received Irish Police Cert.

01-14-2010 Bankers draft for I-130 cashed

01-16-2010 Husband left for USA to start new job :(

01-21-2010 Received Packet 3

01-22-2010 Sent DS 230 back to Dublin. Waiting to send Notice of Readiness, delays with tax returns.

01-23-2010 Started to prepare for Harleys (cat) pet passport. Rabies shot and Microchip today. Found out he doesnt need a pet passport.

01-25-2010 Sent off Notice of Readiness , booked Medical ,hope my UK Police cert arrives in time!

01-29-2010 UK Police Cert arrives. Receive letter from my childhood doctor stating that all my vaccinations are up to date for medical

02-01-2010 Had medical, because my doctors letter didnt say the words MMR in the letter I had to have vaccination again plus the tetanus. E410 for everything.

02-09-2010 Received packet 4. Picked up medical results.

03-01-2010 Interview . Found out I needed a joint sponsor because my husband has'nt had any US earned income in the last 2 years.

03-08-2010 All paperwork received , my case has been placed under review. Hope I get my visa soon.

03-11-2010 Received my visa today!

03-15-2010 POE Chicago.

Congratulations. Having fluent English is a big bonus, but your advice is good I think too.

Thanks Cortr,

You make a good point about fluent English.

I work in the manufacturing industry and there are many jobs out there in this area, as manufacturing is always one of the first industies to recover after a recession.

I targeted the medical device industry as it my chosen field.I am in the Quality department but there are many people working in Production who are not fluent English speakers when they start work but they learn the language and when they are comfortable enough with English they then start interviewing for the jobs that they are qualified for.

I currently work along side Kenyans, Phillipinos, Mexicans, an Argentinian, a gentleman from Loas, a lady from Kuwait, a lady from Ethiopia and a guy from Togo as well as Americans and other nationalities.

07-22-2005 Married my American Man in Galway Ireland.

04-02-2008 Gorgeous baby boy born.

12-16-2009 He got offered fab new job in MN USA , we're moving!

01-04-2010 Sent I-130 to Dublin US Embassy.

01-05-2010 Mailed requests for Irish Police Cert and UK Police Cert.

01-07-2010 Applied for and got approved for baby boys new US Passport.

01-11-2010 Received Irish Police Cert.

01-14-2010 Bankers draft for I-130 cashed

01-16-2010 Husband left for USA to start new job :(

01-21-2010 Received Packet 3

01-22-2010 Sent DS 230 back to Dublin. Waiting to send Notice of Readiness, delays with tax returns.

01-23-2010 Started to prepare for Harleys (cat) pet passport. Rabies shot and Microchip today. Found out he doesnt need a pet passport.

01-25-2010 Sent off Notice of Readiness , booked Medical ,hope my UK Police cert arrives in time!

01-29-2010 UK Police Cert arrives. Receive letter from my childhood doctor stating that all my vaccinations are up to date for medical

02-01-2010 Had medical, because my doctors letter didnt say the words MMR in the letter I had to have vaccination again plus the tetanus. E410 for everything.

02-09-2010 Received packet 4. Picked up medical results.

03-01-2010 Interview . Found out I needed a joint sponsor because my husband has'nt had any US earned income in the last 2 years.

03-08-2010 All paperwork received , my case has been placed under review. Hope I get my visa soon.

03-11-2010 Received my visa today!

03-15-2010 POE Chicago.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.