Pennsylvania

I-134 Requirements

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hello everyone,

We are moving along so quickly in time and would like to get things in complete order as we anticipate scheduling the interview very soon.

From a previous post, I understand that, because of my unique situation with definite jobs lined up which would put me well over the poverty limit for our prospective household of two :) , and with a tax return sufficient for last year, but without having started continuous employment until next month, I should have a co-sponsor. My parents have agreed to do this, and I understand that I will need I-134 applications from them, as well as all proofs and birth certificates. Here is what I would like to know:

My parents filed their tax return jointly. Their joint income before taxes is approximately $50,000. We have ordered tax transcripts from the past three years showing this basic information. Is it the income before, or after, taxes that counts? Should we also include their bank statements? Is it helpful? Overkill? All of their bank accounts are joint accounts. They jointly own a house, but I understand that absent a professional valuation of the house, this will not help - right? - copies of insurance policy with valuation or property tax valuation would not alone be useful?

I'm sure that they should each (father and mother) file a signed I-134 form, but how should they list their income / assets on this form? Divide them? List as a whole with reference to each other's form? Or ??????

Also, as of 2008, I was listed as a dependent on my parents' income tax return. This is no longer the case. I have a sister who still lives at home and is a dependent. On their I-134 forms, they will list that they have one dependent - my sister. Should she be counted as a half a dependent on each, or one on each or ??? Should we file any explanation to explain the fact that I show up as a dependent on some earlier tax returns but not now? And, how will this be factored in, in terms of determining the number of dependents for the poverty line?

Thanks for any help!!!!! We are so close, we don't want to make a mistake now.

10/18/2009 We became acquainted online

03/08/2010 First visit

03/10/2010 First "I Love You"

03/15/2010 First sad return home

04/20/2010 We decided to get married

05/11/2010 Sent I-129F package

05/13/2010 Package received by VSC (mail receipt)

05/23/2010 NOA-1

05/24/2010 Check Cashed by VSC

06/17/2010 NOA-2!!!!

08/01/2010 Second visit

08/??/2010 Formal engagement

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

You are not allowed to have two joint sponsors. You only have one joint sponsor (not the case for AOS). The primary income earner (the larger of the two incomes) should file the I-134 form.

You need to fill out and submit an I-134 as Sponsor and your father OR mother needs to fill out the other I-134 form as the joint sponsor.

Income is handled as the income that person earned (basically) so you will need the W-2s for the person filling out the I-134. The person acting as the joint sponsor needs to submit W-2s, 1099s to substantiate THEIR income. That will be the annual income listed on the I-134. Of course if there is unearned income from dividends, capital gains and interest, that would be split 50% for the I-134 joint sponsor as common income with the other spouse.

Be sure to submit current pay stubs as a good source of documenting the current income of the joint sponsor. They need to include on the I-134 themself, the spouse, the daughter (your sister) and the alien beneficiary (your fiance(e)). So look up the number for 125% of the poverty line for a household of four.

Good luck.

Naturalization N-400

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

You are not allowed to have two joint sponsors. You only have one joint sponsor (not the case for AOS). The primary income earner (the larger of the two incomes) should file the I-134 form.

You need to fill out and submit an I-134 as Sponsor and your father OR mother needs to fill out the other I-134 form as the joint sponsor.

Income is handled as the income that person earned (basically) so you will need the W-2s for the person filling out the I-134. The person acting as the joint sponsor needs to submit W-2s, 1099s to substantiate THEIR income. That will be the annual income listed on the I-134. Of course if there is unearned income from dividends, capital gains and interest, that would be split 50% for the I-134 joint sponsor as common income with the other spouse.

Be sure to submit current pay stubs as a good source of documenting the current income of the joint sponsor. They need to include on the I-134 themself, the spouse, the daughter (your sister) and the alien beneficiary (your fiance(e)). So look up the number for 125% of the poverty line for a household of four.

Good luck.

Actually, you can have all the co-sponsors you want. But only ONE counts. Make it a good one and you only need one.

Your co-sponsor needs to fill out an I-134 and attach all supporting documents, just as you do (YOU are always the sponsor and ALWAYS need to fill out forms even if your income is -0-) Your co-sponsor also needs to attach documentation that he/she is a citizen of the US or Permanant resident (passport copy/birth certificate/naturalization papers or copy of green card)

You will present TWO I-134s at the interview. Yours and the co-sponsors.

IF the co-sponsor has joint tax returns, then ONLY the income of the co-sponsor counts and MUST be deliniated in the document (copies of w-2s, etc.) Their income MUST be adequate to support themselves, their family and your fiancee.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hello everyone,

We are moving along so quickly in time and would like to get things in complete order as we anticipate scheduling the interview very soon.

From a previous post, I understand that, because of my unique situation with definite jobs lined up which would put me well over the poverty limit for our prospective household of two :) , and with a tax return sufficient for last year, but without having started continuous employment until next month, I should have a co-sponsor. My parents have agreed to do this, and I understand that I will need I-134 applications from them, as well as all proofs and birth certificates. Here is what I would like to know:

My parents filed their tax return jointly. Their joint income before taxes is approximately $50,000. We have ordered tax transcripts from the past three years showing this basic information. Is it the income before, or after, taxes that counts? Should we also include their bank statements? Is it helpful? Overkill? All of their bank accounts are joint accounts. They jointly own a house, but I understand that absent a professional valuation of the house, this will not help - right? - copies of insurance policy with valuation or property tax valuation would not alone be useful?

I'm sure that they should each (father and mother) file a signed I-134 form, but how should they list their income / assets on this form? Divide them? List as a whole with reference to each other's form? Or ??????

Also, as of 2008, I was listed as a dependent on my parents' income tax return. This is no longer the case. I have a sister who still lives at home and is a dependent. On their I-134 forms, they will list that they have one dependent - my sister. Should she be counted as a half a dependent on each, or one on each or ??? Should we file any explanation to explain the fact that I show up as a dependent on some earlier tax returns but not now? And, how will this be factored in, in terms of determining the number of dependents for the poverty line?

Thanks for any help!!!!! We are so close, we don't want to make a mistake now.

GROSS income is used. A US citizen spouse (your mother for example) does NOT count as a "dependent" if they have their own income. ANY children counted on the tax return as dependents...even you if applicable...MUST be counted in the family size OR they must state why they would not be counted in the family size. For example, if you have a 19 year old sister and she moved out of the house into her own apartment in February of this year, she would have been a dependent for 2009 but is no longer a dependent. If she is not counted in the family size now, attacdh a letter explaining that.

If your father makes $40,000 per year, and your mother makes $10,000 per year (for example) and there are 2 children at home then his family size is FOUR. Himself, the two children and your fiancee.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.