Angel Eyes Yuseef

What is the steps to get married in Egypt

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

This sounds about right if memory serves.

Norielorie, as we discussed, my husband and I were married in one day. We started out early in the day, this is key to getting it done same day. The translation and other authentication processes do take about a week but you need not be present if you have time constraints. Just be certain that your future husband knows the correct spellings and other info, in English, to make sure everything is accurate. We didn't have such information when we got married but with a little asking around and baksheesh we got the job done. :) Make sure you have a CERTIFIED copy of your divorce decree with you when and if you get married in Egypt. I'm not sure if this still has to be done but my certified copy was then sent to the Secretary of State of my state then to the Secretary of State in D.C. This authentication may also be done through the Egyptian consulate, I believe.

Do i have to have any papers translated. I read in the embassy page and it did not look like i did. But this day has been a emotional blur..lol

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I had my authenticated divorce decree, birth cert. and passport with me. My husband had his national ID.

I would bring along copies of all immigration paperwork to fill out with your future husband while you're still in Egypt. Decide which visa you want to do and have all paperwork filled out and signed but not dated. Also, get a couple sets of passport style pics of your future husband to use for immigration. I wish I would have done that, it would've saved us a lot of time and expense!!

Oh, you will need to have, I believe, (5) passport style photos of yourself and your future husband for the marriage papers. Have these done in Egypt prior to heading out to get married. Wish I'd have known that, too. We were really running that day. Photo places are all over the place in Cairo esp. near the US embassy.

"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

I had my authenticated divorce decree, birth cert. and passport with me. My husband had his national ID.

I would bring along copies of all immigration paperwork to fill out with your future husband while you're still in Egypt. Decide which visa you want to do and have all paperwork filled out and signed but not dated. Also, get a couple sets of passport style pics of your future husband to use for immigration. I wish I would have done that, it would've saved us a lot of time and expense!!

Oh, you will need to have, I believe, (5) passport style photos of yourself and your future husband for the marriage papers. Have these done in Egypt prior to heading out to get married. Wish I'd have known that, too. We were really running that day. Photo places are all over the place in Cairo esp. near the US embassy.

Thanks that is not a lot of paperwork at all... It takes more in Morocco, and a lot longer. The guys there are telling him it will take 2 weeks to get married. I told him i will find out for sure, i have my ways...lol.

Timeline

With all the running around and the procrastinating (my husband is guilty unless someone (me) puts a fire under his #######) and the traveling back and forth to Cairo (if the person doesn't live there)it could very well take two weeks. If you count the week it took for the marriage papers to get authenticated or recorded or whatever then translated then authenticated again which my husband had to travel back to Cairo to do, it took about 2 weeks. But the actual getting married part took a day. It's all the other stuff that takes time. Other stuff that you don't necessarily have to be there for. Your husband could send you your copies of the original (they give two copies to you) and the translation. If you're ####### like me then you'll stay and make sure the translation is done correctly. :) Nothing is done correctly unless I'm there supervising, lol. :P

With all the running around and the procrastinating (my husband is guilty unless someone (me) puts a fire under his #######) and the traveling back and forth to Cairo (if the person doesn't live there)it could very well take two weeks. If you count the week it took for the marriage papers to get authenticated or recorded or whatever then translated then authenticated again which my husband had to travel back to Cairo to do, it took about 2 weeks. But the actual getting married part took a day. It's all the other stuff that takes time. Other stuff that you don't necessarily have to be there for. Your husband could send you your copies of the original (they give two copies to you) and the translation. If you're ####### like me then you'll stay and make sure the translation is done correctly. :) Nothing is done correctly unless I'm there supervising, lol. :P

I have to admit I like to be in charge and make sure things are done right. My fiance is pretty presistent too. I guess that is the leader in him , and in charge of a lot of people all day long...lol. The best part is he lives in cario, so that will be a little easier. And he is talking to his lawyer too. He is already like, so lets figure out how much this is going to cost so we can be ready. :PI am like ok, but can i take breath first.. lol. But if we can get it done in the first few days i am there, the better i will feel. Get it done and enjoy the rest of the time.

Timeline

Not to throw a wrench into things but honestly, I'd be nervous about the push for marriage and the talking to an attorney already. This would make the wheels in my head spin out of control. Especially considering what you've already been through in the past 6 months. I hope he realizes you may still be vulnerable from the last relationship. I know you've known him for awhile but this is only online, correct? Knowing someone online even for years is nothing like knowing someone in real life.

That being said, we got married about half way through my visit. I was there a month that time.

Not to throw a wrench into things but honestly, I'd be nervous about the push for marriage and the talking to an attorney already. This would make the wheels in my head spin out of control. Especially considering what you've already been through in the past 6 months. I hope he realizes you may still be vulnerable from the last relationship. I know you've known him for awhile but this is only online, correct? Knowing someone online even for years is nothing like knowing someone in real life.

That being said, we got married about half way through my visit. I was there a month that time.

At this point is a idea. The whole money talk is my visit there. And the things we will do. I am taking my daughter with me. So we want to make sure to do a lot of things that will entertain her. And i want to get a feel for him too. After the first time i visted the last guy, i ignored the feelings i had. I see where that got me. And with the other i was not nearly as advanced as i am with this one. It was like pulling teeth to get information about him. This one sings to me, jokes, talks with my kids, sometimes more then me..lol. He spent hours on video chat for my daughters birthday. All the party guest's got to meet him.

He has asked a lot of difficult questions, and i have asked a lot of questions to you. And there is a lot more then what i put into on here. But the first time we devoted a lot of time too us, before i ran away from him. And yes i left him cuz he loved me and at the time i was going through a divorce and just not use to beig loved. The first chat we had that was 7 hours long we talked about a lot. There is just a lot of info that i can not put out here. But this relationship is just not him and me, it is my kids and my mom too. They all talk alot, and even when i am at work. I know how easy it is to get wrapped up in all of the excitment. He askes a lot why i am not excited like he is. Well i am reserved and watching. And lets just say with his job which i can not go into detail on, he is risking a lot to even be with a forgein women.

Ohh i forgot, the whole attorney for him . Deals more with his job, more then marriage and yadda, yadda. As i mentioned before he is risking a lot to be with me.

Timeline

I don't know maybe I'm jaded. It's been a long while since I've had to deal with chats and LDRs. I've learned so much about my husband after actually meeting him in person that it almost seems like the person I knew online doesn't exist. I'm talking about both good and bad things I've learned. I don't trust things like being nice on chats and asking about my kids, etc. It's easy to do, you know what I mean? It doesn't make a person necessarily "nice" or even honest. But you should know this already based on your prior experience. I would hate for that to happen again for you. Anyways, my job isn't to analyze your relationship. My job is to share my experiences to be helpful to those who could use my help. Whatever happens after that is not my business nor is it my problem.

Edited by je veux ton amour

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.