hegel325

DHS was unable to verify my immigration status when I applied for SSN

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi all,

I'm a student holding a F-1 visa and I have been having this problem for over a year. I came to the US 2 years ago, and last year, when I went to the SSA to apply for the social security number with CPT, the system didn't let me through. The reason was that "DHS is unable to verify immigration status. Refer student visitor to the their school sponsor to resolve status." I went back to the International Student Office of my school, and they checked everything -- everything was fine. Since then my advisor at ISO had been communicating with an employee at DHS back and forth. During that course, that person told me to try several times, but the same problem remained. On December last year, I was told that since I was going back to my home country for the winter break, the problem would be gone after my re-entry. I went back to my home country, came here again, but SSA didn't let me to apply last spring, saying that the CPT had expired long time ago.

This summer, I was able to get a new CPT, and I went back to SSA to reapply. However, the problem is still there. What should I ask the advisor at my school's ISO to do? Thank you very much!

• 2 years later...
Filed: F-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi all,

I'm a student holding a F-1 visa and I have been having this problem for over a year. I came to the US 2 years ago, and last year, when I went to the SSA to apply for the social security number with CPT, the system didn't let me through. The reason was that "DHS is unable to verify immigration status. Refer student visitor to the their school sponsor to resolve status." I went back to the International Student Office of my school, and they checked everything -- everything was fine. Since then my advisor at ISO had been communicating with an employee at DHS back and forth. During that course, that person told me to try several times, but the same problem remained. On December last year, I was told that since I was going back to my home country for the winter break, the problem would be gone after my re-entry. I went back to my home country, came here again, but SSA didn't let me to apply last spring, saying that the CPT had expired long time ago.

This summer, I was able to get a new CPT, and I went back to SSA to reapply. However, the problem is still there. What should I ask the advisor at my school's ISO to do? Thank you very much!

So finally what happened to your SSN and your status???

• 4 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.