8 posts in this topic

I married my Brazilian wife a year ago here in Brazil. I have been here since. We are planning on doing the DCF process so I may bring her back to the U.S with me.

Now there is an issue that really scares both of us. She lived in the U.S for 10 years from age 9-19 under a different last name. Should we be honest on the forms and list her address in the U.S where it asks for previous addresses for the last 5 years? She returned to Brazil with her real name on a new passport that she got from the Brazilian embassy in the states. She returned in 2006. Will this process be denied because of this?

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I married my Brazilian wife a year ago here in Brazil. I have been here since. We are planning on doing the DCF process so I may bring her back to the U.S with me.

Now there is an issue that really scares both of us. She lived in the U.S for 10 years from age 9-19 under a different last name. Should we be honest on the forms and list her address in the U.S where it asks for previous addresses for the last 5 years? She returned to Brazil with her real name on a new passport that she got from the Brazilian embassy in the states. She returned in 2006. Will this process be denied because of this?

Thanks

Okay, I am not as familiar with DCF, but I believe there is a place on the forms where you have to list previously used names. I think, yes, you should be honest and list that address as a prior address. I believe you also have to list the last address abroad. Really, the simple answer is to just be honest. Was she here legally or overstayed a previous visa? Those things could definitely come up at the consular interview and will be considered in approving or denying the case. If you can provide more information about her situation here in the US, someone with more experience may be able to advise you. Best wishes for you both.

event.png

Okay, I am not as familiar with DCF, but I believe there is a place on the forms where you have to list previously used names. I think, yes, you should be honest and list that address as a prior address. I believe you also have to list the last address abroad. Really, the simple answer is to just be honest. Was she here legally or overstayed a previous visa? Those things could definitely come up at the consular interview and will be considered in approving or denying the case. If you can provide more information about her situation here in the US, someone with more experience may be able to advise you. Best wishes for you both.

well, she had a 10 year tourist visa. i think that means she had 6 months per visit. She was in the u.s for 10 consecutive years. she obviously overstayed and used a false last name. it was her moms doing though. she was a child and had no choice. does the u.s government know all of this even though she had a different last name? she left the u.s with a legit passport with her real last name. i really want to be honest, but i am so afraid that because of the long overstay it will be instantly denied.

Timeline

well, she had a 10 year tourist visa. i think that means she had 6 months per visit. She was in the u.s for 10 consecutive years. she obviously overstayed and used a false last name. it was her moms doing though. she was a child and had no choice. does the u.s government know all of this even though she had a different last name? she left the u.s with a legit passport with her real last name. i really want to be honest, but i am so afraid that because of the long overstay it will be instantly denied.

So did she use a false name to get her tourist visa and then overstay? Did she have a birth certificate in that other name? I understand it was her mom's doing. I believe there is some kind of provision for children who had no choice but to do what their parents put into place, but I am not sure up until what age that is valid. So she left at age 19 with a Brazilian passport with her real name? I honestly don't know if the government would make a connection, but I can only imagine what would happen if the information is not disclosed and then discovered. Most likely it would result in a lifetime ban. I understand your fear as well. As I am not well-versed in this type of situation, it is better to consult with someone who is, and perhaps another member on here can advise you better. I just want to offer some moral support. Perhaps the fact that she DID leave once she turned 19 (is that correct?) will be in her favor? I really wish you the best.

event.png

Timeline

So did she use a false name to get her tourist visa and then overstay? Did she have a birth certificate in that other name? I understand it was her mom's doing. I believe there is some kind of provision for children who had no choice but to do what their parents put into place, but I am not sure up until what age that is valid. So she left at age 19 with a Brazilian passport with her real name? I honestly don't know if the government would make a connection, but I can only imagine what would happen if the information is not disclosed and then discovered. Most likely it would result in a lifetime ban. I understand your fear as well. As I am not well-versed in this type of situation, it is better to consult with someone who is, and perhaps another member on here can advise you better. I just want to offer some moral support. Perhaps the fact that she DID leave once she turned 19 (is that correct?) will be in her favor? I really wish you the best.

Oh one more thing. If she returned in 2006, then you only have to indicate a short time spent in the US because you only need to talk about the last 5 years. I don't know if that will work in your favor other than they may want to see her previous visa and ask some questions about how long she was there. However, it might not be denied outright just based on the fact that she was there in the US.

event.png

She got the visa and a passport under a different last name. She had no U.S documents with her fake last name. she completed high school and then after the summer she returned to brazil in oct 2006 with her real last name.

I think we are going to be honest. If we lie that is just asking for trouble.

One of the most critial areas we need to remember is alway be honest with them. One way or another they will know or find out.

"Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all. Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity. It is right and it is duty." -- NAPF page on Oscar Romero

Wife'sTime Line My link

Timeline

Yes, I agree. Being honest is the right thing to do. Just fill out the form where it requests previously used names and the information about previous addresses. In the best world, they will not even question it. At any rate, you are hiding nothing, and that should be worth something. :) Keep us posted!

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.