arwilson80

Round-up of yesterday - Visa in Administrative Processing!

59 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Any idea why you're in AP?

Are you originally from another country?

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Well... just off phone to DoS... My AP is undergoing name checks in DC. :( 30-90 day wait time. :(

Here are a couple of links that may put minds at ease (or maybe not)...

http://www.fbi.gov/congress/congress04/garrity022504.htm

http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/security_checks_42506.pdf

http://www.visajourney.com/news/2009/03/

I hope so - my name check has lasted 126 days so far. It exceeds all the figures quoted. The last line of the USCIS link is the most difficult to deal with, especially the status aspect.

Do you think that your name might match or be similar to someone involved in the Troubles?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Any idea why you're in AP?

Are you originally from another country?

I have no idea why. I kinda wish i did, at least then i would know if there was anything i could do to resolve it (or more importantly what there is against my name that would trigger any suspiciousness - as i'm not aware of anything).

I'm from N. Ireland. I guess technically it is a different country but it's still part of the UK.

I hope so - my name check has lasted 126 days so far. It exceeds all the figures quoted. The last line of the USCIS link is the most difficult to deal with, especially the status aspect.

Do you think that your name might match or be similar to someone involved in the Troubles?

I very much doubt it (and if it does it's definately not me. All i have is 1 speeding ticket... :)), but i guess with a surname that is one of the most common in the western world it's entirely possible it's going to 'match' up with someone somewhere. :angry:

1990(-ish): Family Holiday to FL. Met Nicole & family.

1990(-ish) - 1992(-ish): A few return visits

08-09/2007: Go back to FL. Meet with 'the folks' & Accept that we both 'like' each other & start dating.

02/2008 - Present: ...go back to FL again a few times.

09/2009: Propose and she says 'Yes'! :D

11/06/2009: I-129F posted to VSC

11/07/2009: I-129F received at VSC

11/09/2009: NOA1

11/13/2009: Touch

12/2009: ...back to FL once again

03/08/2010: Touch & NOA2 (119 Days)

03/11/2010: NVC have my case

03/12/2010: NVC incorrectly assigned & dispatched case to Dublin, not London!

03/18/2010: Package arrived in Dublin

03/19/2010: Ring Dublin and get case transferred to London

04/01/2010: London Sent 'P3'

04/03/2010: I Received 'P3'

04/14/2010: 'P3' sent back to embassy

04/16/2010: 'P3' recieved at embassy

04/29/2010: Medical - Passed

06/17/2010: Interview - In AP (220 Days)

08/17/2010: AP Finished - Approved

event.png

event.png

I very much doubt it (and if it does it's definately not me. All i have is 1 speeding ticket... :)), but i guess with a surname that is one of the most common in the western world it's entirely possible it's going to 'match' up with someone somewhere. :angry:

I can't find the link, but recently I came across the list of individuals and organisations named by the US as you-know-whats, and they did include Irish groups. As you say, with such a common surname it's entirely possible that a 'namesake' is involved. My husband told me that when they do name checks, they don't just check an applicant's name, but variants of it and those similar to it as well. I don't know how true that is, but for anyone with a common name it does mean it takes longer.

I hope it's over very soon for you :thumbs:

That's why I was nervous for David, who has a common last name and NO middle name! What is up with the Brits not having middle names? :)

I hate that this happening to you guys :( I hope you get out of it soon.

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
My husband told me that when they do name checks, they don't just check an applicant's name, but variants of it and those similar to it as well. I don't know how true that is, but for anyone with a common name it does mean it takes longer.

Yeah, that's highly likely. And to be honest i don't mind if it takes longer... but i don't understand why they can't do these checks alongside the USCIS stuff in NVC, or while the case is sitting 'idle' in the embassy between P3 and the interview. And the fact they they process 2- 3 million of them in a year, yet they have 'no idea' how long they will take.

That's why I was nervous for David, who has a common last name and NO middle name! What is up with the Brits not having middle names? :)

I have no idea. All i know is that i do have one. In fact all our folks have at least 1 middle name. Sometimes 2. :)

1990(-ish): Family Holiday to FL. Met Nicole & family.

1990(-ish) - 1992(-ish): A few return visits

08-09/2007: Go back to FL. Meet with 'the folks' & Accept that we both 'like' each other & start dating.

02/2008 - Present: ...go back to FL again a few times.

09/2009: Propose and she says 'Yes'! :D

11/06/2009: I-129F posted to VSC

11/07/2009: I-129F received at VSC

11/09/2009: NOA1

11/13/2009: Touch

12/2009: ...back to FL once again

03/08/2010: Touch & NOA2 (119 Days)

03/11/2010: NVC have my case

03/12/2010: NVC incorrectly assigned & dispatched case to Dublin, not London!

03/18/2010: Package arrived in Dublin

03/19/2010: Ring Dublin and get case transferred to London

04/01/2010: London Sent 'P3'

04/03/2010: I Received 'P3'

04/14/2010: 'P3' sent back to embassy

04/16/2010: 'P3' recieved at embassy

04/29/2010: Medical - Passed

06/17/2010: Interview - In AP (220 Days)

08/17/2010: AP Finished - Approved

event.png

event.png

Yeah, that's highly likely. And to be honest i don't mind if it takes longer... but i don't understand why they can't do these checks alongside the USCIS stuff in NVC, or while the case is sitting 'idle' in the embassy between P3 and the interview. And the fact they they process 2- 3 million of them in a year, yet they have 'no idea' how long they will take.

I have no idea. All i know is that i do have one. In fact all our folks have at least 1 middle name. Sometimes 2. :)

My Dads's side of the family, no middle names, mum's side, all have. Me and my brother don't have middle names at all, most people find that really strange now. I had a few mishaps when I was young, and common name Wilson. I never had any issues, but I also have a police background and previous military security clearance, maybe helped or maybe didn't.

USCIS & NVC

05-04-09 - Married

09-05-09 - I130 Approved (CSC)

12-09-09 - Case Completed (NVC)

01-08-10 - Approved (LND)

01-20-10 - PoE PHL

I-751

01-10-12 - Filed I-751, VT Service Center

01-17-12 - NOA1

02-08-12 - Biometrics at Alexandria, Va

10-04-12 - RFE

11-16-12 - Sent additional evidence (5.5lbs of evidence!)

12-04-12 - Approved

12-10-12 - Card arrived

My first husband had no middle name; at the time his parents were of the opinion that having a middle name was overly poncy and middle class, and not keeping to their then "power to the people" schtick. By the time his younger half brother and sister were born 9 years later, his mum had gotten over it and the twins were both given very posh middle names.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Most people I know have a middle name or two, sometimes even three! My brother has one, I don't :P

Like you, I've no problem people checking my name. Like you, I wondered why they didn't do it at the NVC stage or before the interview. The USC has their name checked at the USCIS stage. You might have read on the AP tracker thread that the reason they send the name to one agency at a time is so that it saves money. All it takes is for one agency to come up with a hit and the application is dealt with accordingly, so why waste money sending it to multiple agencies all at once? Presumably, this is the logic regarding doing the name checks before the interview - if the visa is denied/delayed for whatever reason, it would have been a waste of time and resources to have done the checks beforehand.

It does make sense, even though I wish it were otherwise :(

Actually, come to think of it my brother has two middle names!!

Edited by treehugger

If an immigrant from Northern Ireland gets caught in a security clearance or a namecheck, why is there always the assumption (especially from the English) that there must be some connection to the Troubles?

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

If an immigrant from Northern Ireland gets caught in a security clearance or a namecheck, why is there always the assumption (especially from the English) that there must be some connection to the Troubles?

Seeing how the Troubles dominated life in Northern Ireland and for the period of time it did so, it's not unreasonable to think that a significant proportion of the population were either directly involved, or related to someone who was. That period is thankfully over and has been for some time, and although I in no way meant to imply that arwilson was involved in any way, it's not that farfetched to think that someone with a similar name might have been. To be honest, before seeing the list put out by DoS, it hadn't even occurred to me. Is NI associated with any other activity that might entail longer than usual name checks? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the other issues that might come up are mostly linked to the Troubles too. Of course there could be another reason but as it's AP no one will never know, but it's the most obvious one, at least according to DoS.

I could ask, why was it when I said I was in AP everyone asked whether I was a naturalized citizen, or from a certain part of the world originally? If I were, would it automatically be so that even though I'm female, I must have a dubious past?

I've just looked at the ACRO site, which covers England, Wales and Northern Ireland. It specifically asks if the applicant has lived in Scotland or convicted of a criminal offence there, presumably because it is outside of ACRO's catchment area / jurisdiction. However, it also asks if an applicant has ever lived in NI or convicted of a criminal offence there. What possible explanation do you have for that, seeing that NI is within ACRO's catchment, and yet they don't ask similar questions about England and Wales?

I've just looked at the ACRO site, which covers England, Wales and Northern Ireland. It specifically asks if the applicant has lived in Scotland or convicted of a criminal offence there, presumably because it is outside of ACRO's catchment area / jurisdiction. However, it also asks if an applicant has ever lived in NI or convicted of a criminal offence there. What possible explanation do you have for that, seeing that NI is within ACRO's catchment, and yet they don't ask similar questions about England and Wales?

The explanation for that would be that the Police Service of Northern Ireland is a separate body apart from that on the mainland.

Seeing how the Troubles dominated life in Northern Ireland and for the period of time it did so, it's not unreasonable to think that a significant proportion of the population were either directly involved, or related to someone who was. That period is thankfully over and has been for some time, and although I in no way meant to imply that arwilson was involved in any way, it's not that farfetched to think that someone with a similar name might have been. To be honest, before seeing the list put out by DoS, it hadn't even occurred to me. Is NI associated with any other activity that might entail longer than usual name checks? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the other issues that might come up are mostly linked to the Troubles too. Of course there could be another reason but as it's AP no one will never know, but it's the most obvious one, at least according to DoS.

I could ask, why was it when I said I was in AP everyone asked whether I was a naturalized citizen, or from a certain part of the world originally? If I were, would it automatically be so that even though I'm female, I must have a dubious past?

People aren't very well versed in how AP occurs. Many don't know the records checked by DOS. Or why.

There's quite a lot of bigotry involved in some of the questions asked of you.

Just as those comments toward you were unreasonable, I would call it unreasonable to assume that "a significant proportion of the population were either directly involved, or related to someone who was" involved in the Troubles. It was actually a sliver of the population who were responsible for those atrocities. There WAS and REMAINS a significant proportion of the population who was touched by the violence, but that is far different than having been a perpetrator.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

When I've asked those types of questions it's been a matter of wondering what DOS could possibly use to flag people they put in AP. Several of us were aware of specific cases at the London as well as other consulates which made us think that maybe people with ties to certain countries could be put into lengthy AP processes.

I think it is silly that so many VJers get put into AP. There are several that have passed the medical with flying colors AND proved they have no criminal records yet they still end up in AP. I understand that this process will catch a few people that want to get into the country with very bad intentions. With that logic I can understand that AP is necessary even if it is overly used.

I know it is unfair and hard to go through. The good part is that when you do finally get settled into your new life in the US it can always be said that you passed x amount of months of security checks to get where you are. :luv:

Our VisaJourney started July 2009 when I mailed the 129-F

Fiance here February 2010, married 10 days later

GC received in the mail 10-Jun-2010

Able to apply to remove conditions 12-Feb-2012

BABY GIRL BORN JULY 2011!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.