guguis

us citizenship based on 3 yera marriage

5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-5 Country: Mexico
Timeline

hello everyone once again in the journey of my wife trying to become an american citizen, i just have some questions we been filing our taxes together always but for the last 2 years we filed together but i was not working i was trying to start our own business to make the story short it didnt work so im starting to work in my old job again, my question is, she was working and we filed but my wages where 0 so this will carry any problems for her, also we will submit our daugther birth certificate and we are expecting again, and also we are sending more paperwork but im worried about the taxes thank you.

hello everyone once again in the journey of my wife trying to become an american citizen, i just have some questions we been filing our taxes together always but for the last 2 years we filed together but i was not working i was trying to start our own business to make the story short it didnt work so im starting to work in my old job again, my question is, she was working and we filed but my wages where 0 so this will carry any problems for her, also we will submit our daugther birth certificate and we are expecting again, and also we are sending more paperwork but im worried about the taxes thank you.

hi guguis.

At this point - there isn't much to worry about. As long as you passed and got approved for ROC, then the toughest is behind you now.

Here are answers to your questions.

1. As long as the tax returns show married filing jointly/separately - then that's all they care about. They want to see proof that you are still married to the same USC and still living together... other than that how much you earned and how much your wife earned is information of no use to them.

2. Submitting your daughter's b-cert will only solidify your marriage and your petition to become a citizen.

Please read this guide which will explain to you all the things you need to know, in addition, it will provide you with a guide and a list of items to submit when applying for naturalization - an extremely helpful guide.

http://www.uscis.gov...ticle/M-476.pdf

hope this helps

Edited by v333k

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Filed: IR-5 Country: Mexico
Timeline

hi guguis.

At this point - there isn't much to worry about. As long as you passed and got approved for ROC, then the toughest is behind you now.

Here are answers to your questions.

1. As long as the tax returns show married filing jointly/separately - then that's all they care about. They want to see proof that you are still married to the same USC and still living together... other than that how much you earned and how much your wife earned is information of no use to them.

2. Submitting your daughter's b-cert will only solidify your marriage and your petition to become a citizen.

Please read this guide which will explain to you all the things you need to know, in addition, it will provide you with a guide and a list of items to submit when applying for naturalization - an extremely helpful guide.

http://www.uscis.gov...ticle/M-476.pdf

hope this helps

thank you v333k you every step is different and we always get concern about all this, hopefully this is the end of the journey finally

Filed: Other Timeline

Nothing to worry about.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Hello there, and sorry to interfere in your topic, but I have a question: is it absolutely necessary to show taxes when filing for citizenship through marriage? Can one bring different kinds of proof of relationship, or whatever else is required? I searched the USCIS website, but I haven't found a satisfying response :unsure:... They say you have to prove that you haven't been outside of the US for more than a certain period of time, that you have "good moral character", that you can read, speak and write correct English, that you know the history of the US... Taxes are not mentioned as a necessary requirement, still so many people talk about taxes when filing for citinzenship. My question is, do you absolutely have to bring proof of taxes? What happens if you haven't worked at all during those 3 years, which means you haven't filed taxes, or if your spouse hasn't filed taxes due to particular circumstances? Can they deny your application because of that?

Please, please help with a response!

Thank you!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.