Jared and May

The 25 Day Shuffle & Share

44 posts in this topic

@Daruma - The driving school ought to be interesting.. She already knows how to drive, but I'm not entirely sure what that means.. LOL I have an 04 Nissan Pathfinder which is what she'll be practicing on.. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing.. I figure I'll let her take me for a spin one early morning, and depending on how much damage she does, I'll enroll her with Sears driving school.. :rofl:

You will find out real quick what that means!:rofl: Take a photo of your Pathfinder because it might be the last time you see it in the shape that it is in.....

Seriously, we wish you both the best. It won't be long now that the two of you will be together sharing your life. Have lots of fun and always remember what got you two together.:thumbs:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Daruma - The driving school ought to be interesting.. She already knows how to drive, but I'm not entirely sure what that means.. LOL I have an 04 Nissan Pathfinder which is what she'll be practicing on.. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing.. I figure I'll let her take me for a spin one early morning, and depending on how much damage she does, I'll enroll her with Sears driving school..

You will find out real quick what that means!:rofl: Take a photo of your Pathfinder because it might be the last time you see it in the shape that it is in.....

:lol::lol::crying:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi guys!

Reading this trail is so hilarious but amusing at the same time. I am the fiancee and my flight is like 16 days before my flight to SFO. My fiance has already been sorting things and cleaning his room for 3 weeks now.

Im amused by how YOU guys prepared for your fiancee's arrival. How lucky these women are (including me) to have these guys because it only shows how serious they are in their relationship.

I think I would require MY man to read this topic. It would really be a big help for me to relieve homesickness once i'm already there in the US. :yes:

Keep on posting more suggestions you guys!! Thanks!

Cheers!!

Timeline

Haha, I don't mind so much about my car getting banged up or totaled.. I'm just more worried about her getting hurt.. Drivers in Connecticut can be a little aggressive and erratic. You can be sure that for the most part I'll be chauffeuring the Mrs around whenever/wherever..

Another thing I've done is upload tons of family photos + videos for her to take a look at.. When my grandmother passed a few years ago she left behind a few buckets of photos and underneath them I discovered some VHS tapes. I had them converted to DV and stumbled upon her wedding video, 8mm of my dad as a baby, some video of me as a baby, etc.. I had that digitized at iMemories.com and gave her access to the site. This morning she mentioned how her mom watched my Granny's wedding video and felt so much more relieved to see that I was "really going to marry her daughter".. :thumbs:

The social calendar for when she arrives is slowly building up as well..

We're going to one of my old college roommate's annual summer BBQ the second weekend after she arrives. Then that following weekend, I was planning on having a cookout at our home, and then I'm going to have my cousins come down and visit the last weekend in July. Somewhere inbetween we're going to see the Goo Goo Dolls (her favorite band) and then go visit her Auntie in NY the weekend after.. In-between there's wedding planning, walks in the park, and I hope I can catch a Red Sox game with her.. I'm hoping the flurry of activity will be enough to keep her from missing home too much in the beginning.

AOS Timeline

08-Sep-2010 Married
28-Sep-2010 Mailed AOS packet via Express Mail
29-Sep-2010 Received @ Chicago Lockbox
18-Oct-2010 Received 797C NOA for Biometrics appointment
22-Oct 2010 Biometrics appointment (orig sched for 10/28)
29-Oct 2010 RFE (missing signature)
03-Nov Received RFE @ Chicago Lockbox
17-Nov Case transferred to California
24-Nov "Touched" Now being processed at USCIS office
30-Nov "Touched again"
03-Dec May calls Senator Joe Courtney's office for help getting EAD/AP approved
15-Dec Received AP in mail, no notification via e-mail/txt website doesn't show approval
16-Dec EAD Approved (SMS/E-mail) USCIS indicates it was approved yesterday?
18-Dec EAD Card arrived in mail
25-Mar 2011 GC Arrived

31-May 2013 10yr GC approved

I got my wife a rice cooker (about $15) and she loves it. She uses it a few times a day.

Watch your phone plans and be prepared for her to chat with family on the net for an hour or two every night. I'm glad her family comes to do that with her regular. Try to have some good filipinas for her to talk to in your area so she can speak her language and relate to from her home culture.

I got my wife a greendot prepaid credit card. You will have to sit down with her and explain costs of living and your budget whatever it is.

Be prepared for some adjustments. I hurt my wifes feelings real bad one time because I cooked a quick snack for me to eat while she was busy doing something. Meals are real important socially in her culture because this is family time. There's probably a few adjustments like that to get used to. We are both very happy and growing as a married couple.

We also got two Filipino channels which she enjoys every day.

The arrival and first days and weeks are great. Every new day is just so awesome when you are with the love of your life.

K1 timeline :

1/11/10 - I-129F sent to California Service Center

1/19/10 - NOA1

2/18/10 - moved and changed address on USCIS site

2/19/10 - touched

3/10/10 - touched

3/10/10 - NOA2, hardcopy recieved 3/12

3/16/10 - Left NVC, recieved MNL case #

3/22/10 - USEM recieved

4/19/10 - Passed Medical

4/28/10 - Interview - Approved

4/30/10 - Picked up Visa and completed CFO

5/5/10 - POE - Honolulu, Hawaii

5/6/10 - married in Hawaii

AOS timeline:

7/8/10 - received SSN Card

7/16/10 - reported US marriage for RP records

10/18/10 - AOS delivered in Chicago

10/25/10 - NOA1

11/04/10 - Biometrics Letter Received

11/23/10 - Biometrics Completed

11/24/10 - touched

11/26/10 - touched

02/14/11 - AOS approved at Interview, GC ordered

02/22/11 - GC arrives in mail

ROC Timeline:

12/17/12 - I-751 sent to California Service Center

12/20/12 - NOA1 arrives in mail

1/14/13 - Biometrics appointment

4/11/13 - RC Approved at Interview

4/22/13 - 10 Year Green Card arrived in mail

event.png

Always Thankful for God's blessings on our lives..

Timeline

I got my wife a rice cooker (about $15) and she loves it. She uses it a few times a day.

Watch your phone plans and be prepared for her to chat with family on the net for an hour or two every night. I'm glad her family comes to do that with her regular. Try to have some good filipinas for her to talk to in your area so she can speak her language and relate to from her home culture.

I got my wife a greendot prepaid credit card. You will have to sit down with her and explain costs of living and your budget whatever it is.

Be prepared for some adjustments. I hurt my wifes feelings real bad one time because I cooked a quick snack for me to eat while she was busy doing something. Meals are real important socially in her culture because this is family time. There's probably a few adjustments like that to get used to. We are both very happy and growing as a married couple.

We also got two Filipino channels which she enjoys every day.

The arrival and first days and weeks are great. Every new day is just so awesome when you are with the love of your life.

This is some really good advice, thank you.. My countdown keeps getting closer, and I'm super wicked excited.. I also find Milagros hanging out with her friends a lot more now than before which makes me think that she's starting to realize that she's leaving soon.

The rice cooker has officially been broken in, I got a really nice Panasonic one..

The pre-paid Credit Card sounds like a really good way to break her into "American spending" without bankrupting me :rofl: :rofl:

AOS Timeline

08-Sep-2010 Married
30-Nov "Touched again"
15-Dec Received AP in mail, no notification via e-mail/txt website doesn't show approval
25-Mar 2011 GC Arrived

Tell her that in a restaurant, when the server asks for her drink & she choses iced tea, there are different kinds of iced tea (sweetened, raspberry, unsweetened). I felt dumb the first time I ordered one and I asked the server back "there's more than one kind of iced tea?" LOL my husband (fiancé then) tried not to laugh. and if she asks for sandwich, make sure she is prepared to answer what kind of bread (white, rye, etc). it was the same server who asked me & I asked her again "there's more than one kind of bread". My husband guffawed when I asked the question again. LOL

Wow, I'm loving all the responses.. :rofl:

OK so to add a bit, because I've realized that I left a few things out..

1. I've got a brand new rice cooker that I've tried out twice.. hehe
  2. I already got her an iPhone, but she's selling it to a friend to get the new one!!
  3. I know where most of the Asian marketa are :thumbs:
  4. She has my digital camera, I left it with her so she could take pics with her friends & family before she leaves.. I also ended up getting a DSLR because I started to notice how many pics we'd take on a trip.. LOL

@Tahoma - the flowers is a great idea, I'm going to do that..

@Daruma - The driving school ought to be interesting.. She already knows how to drive, but I'm not entirely sure what that means.. LOL I have an 04 Nissan Pathfinder which is what she'll be practicing on.. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing.. I figure I'll let her take me for a spin one early morning, and depending on how much damage she does, I'll enroll her with Sears driving school.. :rofl:

On our way home after hubby picked me up at the airport we pass this one area where there are so many cars. I asked him what is going on there why so many cars parked outside. I'm thinking there was some kind of party...hubby laugh so hard while telling me what is it. It's a company thats sells cars....Back in PI theres only like 5-7 cars in the showroom..I never seen a showrooms that have 500-1000 cars :D

If she is under 5'feet get her a pillow to sit on the car while she drives. I have to used one as I cant see the road....

29960_396648778323_615343323_4014936_8258670_n.jpg

Q3b5m7.png

Aug 3, 2006 Sent I-129f in to CSC

Aug 15, 2006 Sent in updated I-129f

Aug 23, 2006 NOA1

Aug 25, 2006 They cashed my check

Aug 30, 2006 NOA1 received in mail

Dec 2, 2006 NOA2 recieved in mail

Dec 12, 2006 I receive that letter from NVC

Mar 22, 2007 St. Lukes appointment

Mar 29, 2007 7:30am Interview

Mar 29, 2007 12pm APPROVED!!! PRAISE GOD!!!

April 10, 2007 Fiancee Arrived!!! WOO HOO!!!

June 26, 2007 Wedding

July 2, 2007 Medical for AOS

July 6, 2007 Sent in AOS (cutting it really close to the 90 days!)

July 8, 2007 USCIS receives i-485

July 16, 2007 NOA1

July 18, 2007 NOA biometrics

Aug 11, 2007 Biometrics appointment.

Oct 11, 2007 Interview

Oct 11, 2007 Green card Approved!!! You cant kick me out now Baby!

Oct 18, 2007 Welcome letter saying Green card is on its way

Oct 22, 2007 2 year Green card arrived!!

TIMELINE-I-751-Oct 11, 2009 GC Expiration

July 8, 2009- Sent 1-751 in to CSC

July 15, 2009- CSC sent back my papers saying its too early for 90 days expiration

July 16, 2009- Resend my papers 85 days before GC expired

July 18, 2009- Arrived at CSC-10:53 am

July 22, 2009- Cashed Check

July 27, 2009- NOA 1 recieved

July 31, 2009- Biometric Notice Recieved

Aug 18, 2009- Biometric Schedule

Sep 03, 2009- Card Production ordered

Sep 09, 2009-Approval letter recieved in the mail

Sep 12, 2009- 10 Year GC recieved

Tell her that in a restaurant, when the server asks for her drink & she choses iced tea, there are different kinds of iced tea (sweetened, raspberry, unsweetened). I felt dumb the first time I ordered one and I asked the server back "there's more than one kind of iced tea?" LOL my husband (fiancé then) tried not to laugh. and if she asks for sandwich, make sure she is prepared to answer what kind of bread (white, rye, etc). it was the same server who asked me & I asked her again "there's more than one kind of bread". My husband guffawed when I asked the question again. LOL

This scenario makes me laugh too..I don't order sandwich at all as they asked so many questions :D From what kind of bread to what kind of cheese you want to your sandwich.I let hubby do the job!

29960_396648778323_615343323_4014936_8258670_n.jpg

Q3b5m7.png

Aug 3, 2006 Sent I-129f in to CSC

Aug 15, 2006 Sent in updated I-129f

Aug 23, 2006 NOA1

Aug 25, 2006 They cashed my check

Aug 30, 2006 NOA1 received in mail

Dec 2, 2006 NOA2 recieved in mail

Dec 12, 2006 I receive that letter from NVC

Mar 22, 2007 St. Lukes appointment

Mar 29, 2007 7:30am Interview

Mar 29, 2007 12pm APPROVED!!! PRAISE GOD!!!

April 10, 2007 Fiancee Arrived!!! WOO HOO!!!

June 26, 2007 Wedding

July 2, 2007 Medical for AOS

July 6, 2007 Sent in AOS (cutting it really close to the 90 days!)

July 8, 2007 USCIS receives i-485

July 16, 2007 NOA1

July 18, 2007 NOA biometrics

Aug 11, 2007 Biometrics appointment.

Oct 11, 2007 Interview

Oct 11, 2007 Green card Approved!!! You cant kick me out now Baby!

Oct 18, 2007 Welcome letter saying Green card is on its way

Oct 22, 2007 2 year Green card arrived!!

TIMELINE-I-751-Oct 11, 2009 GC Expiration

July 8, 2009- Sent 1-751 in to CSC

July 15, 2009- CSC sent back my papers saying its too early for 90 days expiration

July 16, 2009- Resend my papers 85 days before GC expired

July 18, 2009- Arrived at CSC-10:53 am

July 22, 2009- Cashed Check

July 27, 2009- NOA 1 recieved

July 31, 2009- Biometric Notice Recieved

Aug 18, 2009- Biometric Schedule

Sep 03, 2009- Card Production ordered

Sep 09, 2009-Approval letter recieved in the mail

Sep 12, 2009- 10 Year GC recieved

Timeline

LOL, yes she loves ice tea so I'm going to have to introduce her to our various flavors.. I should probably even stock up on some before she arrives, thanks for the reminder.. :thumbs:

That's a pretty story about the types of bread too.. Hehe.. Just down to 18 days.. Woohoo!

If she is under 5'feet get her a pillow to sit on the car while she drives. I have to used one as I cant see the road....

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

AOS Timeline

08-Sep-2010 Married
30-Nov "Touched again"
25-Mar 2011 GC Arrived

This scenario makes me laugh too..I don't order sandwich at all as they asked so many questions :D From what kind of bread to what kind of cheese you want to your sandwich.I let hubby do the job!

LOL After what happened, I never ordered again. I just point at what I want on the menu and I let the husband do the ordering. It took months before I got the courage to order again myself. Actually, my husband finally said he won't do it for me...

And there was this one time, I wanted broccoli as a side but I guess I was saying it wrong (brocCOli instead of BROCcli) and the server could not understand me. After several attempts, I just said I want corn HAHAHAHAHA! It has been months but my husband still teases me about it.

Edited by dianecmea

So maybe it's just me but the PI boards have been a little dull as of late.. I was hoping to maybe kick off a fun thread..

So today is officially 25 days before I pick May up at JFK and to say I'm excited would be an understatement. I wanted to share some of the things I've done to prep for her arrival and ask others to share their stories about picking their significant others up at the airport for the first time..

1. Cleaned the whole house
  2. Made tons of room for her in our closet
  3. Order The Filipino Channel & AT&T U-Verse
  4. Made a shopping list of some foods to pick up the day before she arrives
  5. Arranged things she sent back with me from my last trip (women's products in bathroom)
  6. Bought a 25 lb bag of rice :rofl:

So what did you guys/girls do? What are some other helpful things to ease the homesickness? I've been living by myself for about 4 years now so the condo has plenty of room for

Also how awesome was the airport pickup/drive home..? I'd love to read some stories... B-)

Buy her a walis tambo. it will help her clean the kitchen floor.

Hokey Smoke!

Rocky: "Baby, are they still mad at us on VJ?"

Bullwinkle: "No, they are just confused."

Timeline

Buy her a walis tambo. it will help her clean the kitchen floor.

LOL I had to Google that.. When I saw the tambo word, I was thinking about the alternate toilet paper.. :rofl: :rofl:

AOS Timeline

08-Sep-2010 Married
30-Nov "Touched again"
25-Mar 2011 GC Arrived

LOL I had to Google that.. When I saw the tambo word, I was thinking about the alternate toilet paper.. :rofl: :rofl:

I don't think they have the walis that we are used to in the Phils. the walis they have here is hard... I've been here for 3years and i still don't like it. If you have non-carpeted floors, better to get the Swivel sweeper but I don't suggest you buying that before she arrives coz she may think you brought her to the US to clean your floors. LOL

It's good you have activities planned already. Try to keep her really busy. When I arrived here, my husband couldn't get time off work so I was all alone all day. Made me really homesick. So he got me cat :)

I don't think you will ever get everything ready, so, after she's settled, offer to take her shopping and let her shop! Any woman would love that! And remind her not to convert everything to pesos or she would go out empty handed.

And oh! don't forget towels!

Edited by dianecmea

Timeline

LOL she's already planning on going shopping the first weekend.. Food, clothes, etc.. :thumbs:

It's so crazy to think just 2 weeks / 14 days from now my sweetiepie will finally be here.

AOS Timeline

08-Sep-2010 Married
30-Nov "Touched again"
25-Mar 2011 GC Arrived

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.