Fandango

British Bun in the Oven

1,114 posts in this topic

Dahhhhhhhh. I felt absolutely certain I was an epi kinda gal. Witnessing my two sisters-in-law give birth a) natural and b) epi...i'm totally convinced epi is the way to go. But then I keep hearing about the after birth benefits of foregoing the epi and now i just don't know.

So now my plan is, go as far as I can taking the pain and when I can't take it anymore - epi. God only knows what I'm going to be thinking when it's D-Day. I'm just ready to hold little dude!

Oh and I'm the bread winner, too. Daddy is most likely going to be the one who is part time and home with dude during the day

Just curious - what are the after birth benefits of non epi? Not being numb for a while? No catheter? (Both of which I consider very minor inconveniences.)

I'm just glad women have a choice to have their babies how they want to have them. I still consider any woman who chooses natural to be some kind of Amazon goddess, I'll be honest. LOL.

Hail all of us bread winner chicks. :D

SA4userbar.jpg

Hail all of us indeed! ;)

I am also glad women have a choice! Don't get me wrong - I am VERY glad we have medical interventions when necessary. And I'd definitely rather give birth in a hospital in case an emergency arises.

The benefits of not having an epidural, as I understand:

1. Even quicker recovery/more alert baby, although this is rendered moot after a few hours! But I know some women really appreciate it.

2. I've heard a few negative stories from women where they were left with permanent back pain, or problems months after birth, or the epidural never ended up working and so they were, 'why did I even bother?'

3. The natural endorphin/high released when not numbed after an epi is supposedly amazing, I've heard of women who've haemorrhaged or had a fourth-degree tear and haven't even noticed, they were in such a state of bliss!

Anyway, I am apparently GBS+, boo! So I shall have to ensure I reach the hospital in time to have an IV placed with antibiotics. :( Still, I think my OB has prescribed amicipillin instead of penicillin, which is supposedly easier on the veins.

sharasugar.pngsharanomsugar.png

07/11/2006 - First met

08/22/2008 - K1 Visa in hand

12/27/2008 - Marriage

05/20/2009 - AOS complete

10/06/2011 - ROC complete

04/20/2012 - Annaleah born!

Also - I'd rather not get an epi because it can stall labour, and because I'm a little afraid of not having full and total control over my body.

Having said that, my mother had an epi with the twins, after one induction + gas (with me), two completely natural births (with my brothers), and one birth with a different pain relief (my sister, with whom she also had an abruption, not to mention my sister was born with the cord wrapped around her neck and needed treatment for jaundice - my sister is just followed by a black-luck cloud!). And she said the epi was AMAZING! So I shall bear that in mind. ;) She did require a vacuum to get one of the twins out, however.

07/11/2006 - First met

12/27/2008 - Marriage

Dahhhhhhhh. I felt absolutely certain I was an epi kinda gal. Witnessing my two sisters-in-law give birth a) natural and b) epi...i'm totally convinced epi is the way to go. But then I keep hearing about the after birth benefits of foregoing the epi and now i just don't know.

So now my plan is, go as far as I can taking the pain and when I can't take it anymore - epi. God only knows what I'm going to be thinking when it's D-Day. I'm just ready to hold little dude!

Oh and I'm the bread winner, too. Daddy is most likely going to be the one who is part time and home with dude during the day

That was my plan too. I managed to last for about the first 15 hours without any thing and then the nurse told me that I was progressing so slowly that I should definitely have the pitocin - I felt a bit pressured into having it but was so exhausted ended up just agreeing. After about an hour of the pitocin contraction I opted for the epi. I have to say it was like being on a floaty cloud not having any pain. I then managed to sleep for 2 hours and when I woke up they said right you're ready to push and 30 mins later out she popped.

If there is a next time I think I'd go for the same approach - try for as long as possible without it but have it when it gets too much.

What I wish I'd done is have a doula in there with me. I thought about it but my husband had had two kids before and I thought he was going to be the expert. I actually think it worked the other way - he was far too relaxed about the whole thing and I think I could have done with a little more emotional support.

Now we're going through the terrible toddler phase which is exhausting. I work from home editing a website and it's getting very hard to work with all the whining and "Mummy, mummy" being yelled at increasing volume!

Ah right - got it. I think what it boils down to is each woman can have different experiences. I had none of the downsides with the epi, but obviously some women can. Which goes back to the choice thing - and yay rah for that!!

I do have to say that the epi didn't make me feel like I didn't have control of my body. It actually made me relax a little more than I thought would be possible during the process of birthing a baby. The only 'out of control' thing for me was that noodle limp left leg a few hours after birth. But I would still not have traded that for having less anxiety during labor.

Sorry about the GBS + thing! But at least they know and can prepare for it - it'll be fine! They actually told me I had a staph infection in my NOSE (?!) so I had to be very conscious about sanitizing my hands after blowing or touching my nose and then touching Emily. So that's what the nose swab is for - don't be surprised when they do that. I had no clue what it was all about when they did it.

I hope BOTH you ladies have the exact kind of birthing experiences that you want. It will be such a special moment for you and your families. :) We're so excited to see pictures of the little Brits - I can't imagine how your families must feel. :D

SA4userbar.jpg

oh believe you me I am all about the cocktail of numbness.

2010 K1 December Filers: December Filers Citizenship Help

---
Let's get this Citizenship party started:
Dec 28. 2011 - Sent AOS Forms
May 15. 2012 - Green Card in Hand
Jun 12. 2012 - Our 1st Baby was born! :)

Oct 14. 2014 - ROC approved.
---

08/16/2015 - Looking into Citizenship process!

Click Here for a detailed timeline of our K1 Journey.

Lynne - I feel my mother-in-law is going to be an effective substitute doula! I know not many women would agree to have their MIL present at the birth, but she's very supportive and assisted her sisters and many of her friends in home births, so she certainly has the experience. She's a very calm and practical person, whereas Alex - bless him - I'm not trusting to do anything except panic and perhaps faint. ;)

Tracy - thank you! I do, too. I can't wait!

Also I phoned my mother yesterday, and she said that apparently women in our family are very susceptible to streptococcal infections, and that as she'd had rheumatic fever she actually received an IV and antibiotics by default with all of her births. Was interesting to hear as I know it's certainly not routine in the UK!

07/11/2006 - First met

12/27/2008 - Marriage

38 weeks today!

OB did say he was very confident I'd go to my due date, though.

I don't mind too much - been feeling pretty good lately (tiredness is really my only symptom) and I could use the extra money working. :)

07/11/2006 - First met

12/27/2008 - Marriage

38 weeks today!

I don't mind too much - been feeling pretty good lately (tiredness is really my only symptom) and I could use the extra money working. :)

Yay! Nearly there. Can't wait to hear how everything goes and see pics of the baaaby!

K-1

March 7, 2005: I-129F NOA1

September 20, 2005: K-1 Interview in London. Visa received shortly thereafter.

AOS

December 30, 2005: I-485 received by USCIS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

Received 10-year green card February 28, 2008

Your Humble Advice Columnist, Joyce

Come check out the most happenin' thread on VJ: Dear Joyce

Click here to see me visiting with my homebodies.

[The grooviest signature you've ever seen is under construction!]

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

38 weeks today!

WOW! You've made it farther than I did with my kids! I only got to 36.5 and 37.5 weeks. I can't believe you're being so patient and feel so well. Seriously - get as much rest now and enjoy quiet time with your husband if you are able. We are at 9 months post partum and our kiddo loves waking up at night.

Today is Roslyn's 9 month birthday!! I took her in to the doctor for an ear infection last week and sure enough she has her second one ever(and within a month)! They weighed her and it turns out she had only gained 3 ounces since this office saw her 2 months before.

Previously she was at 50th percentile for height and 10th for weight, now she has dropped completely off the chart for weight. We are recording how many ounces of formula plus how many calories from solids she gets everyday. Nursing has almost completely stopped since it appears it isn't working anyways. So now when she wakes up twice a night I get up and make her a bottle instead of trying to nurse her. We had a while where she would sleep for 6 hours straight and that has stopped. Since she is only 14 pounds I'm not going to even attempt to sleep train or try to get her to have longer stretchs. Her night time feedings are usually 160-240 calories and she does need them.

No sleep for us right now!!! We were thinking of having the next one with only a two year space and right now this is the best birth control ever. :devil:

Our VisaJourney started July 2009 when I mailed the 129-F

Fiance here February 2010, married 10 days later

GC received in the mail 10-Jun-2010

Able to apply to remove conditions 12-Feb-2012

BABY GIRL BORN JULY 2011!!!

39 weeks tomorrow!

Hoping Roslyn gains a little weight soon. It must be hard still not getting any sleep!

Yesterday it was as if someone flicked a switch; all of a sudden I've grown REALLY uncomfortable! I also somehow gained 5 lbs in between last week's appointment and yesterday's, whereas the previous week I only gained a half pound. :( I was doing so well with the weight gain, too. I must admit, I couldn't help thinking, if only I'd gone at 37-38 weeks; I'd have never known any 3rd trimester discomfort and I'd have been well within a reasonable weight gain!

I am sooo tired and useless, but unable to actually *sleep*. I manage perhaps 4-5 hours of sleep a day. Most of the time I'm collapsed in front of the TV, unable to really do or move much! I did five hours of housework on Saturday and my body really paid for that afterwards - think I finally grew comfortable enough to sleep around 5 am! Oh well, hopefully not much longer to go now. :)

07/11/2006 - First met

12/27/2008 - Marriage

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Anyday now!!! Can't wait to see pictures!

You will be surprised at how much lighter you are a week post partum. Most of what I gained the last month was swelling and as soon as my milk came in my blood pressure went back to my normal prepregnancy level and the extra fluid was gone. Woosh!

Serioously, what seems excessive during the last couple weeks is nothing if you know you've been ok up until now.

Our VisaJourney started July 2009 when I mailed the 129-F

Fiance here February 2010, married 10 days later

GC received in the mail 10-Jun-2010

Able to apply to remove conditions 12-Feb-2012

BABY GIRL BORN JULY 2011!!!

Thank you; that's very comforting to hear! :)

I'm taking a walk as soon as my coworker gets back from lunch - try to force this baby down a little!

I took a photo today and compared it to one from last week (actually; under a week ago - I think this is from last Thursday) and I see a real difference:

38-39.png

(38 weeks on left, 39 weeks on right)

Edited by Alex & Rachel

07/11/2006 - First met

12/27/2008 - Marriage

Wow - you look amazing. Brings back all those memories for me of those last few weeks. Of course I now have my rose-coloured specs on and remember it as all WONDERFUL - and would love to do it all again.

Oooooohhhhhhh!!! Any DAY now!!! So so so so exciting. I'm a little jealous. I'm ready to be done! I feel pretty good on my 31st week but still, I wish I only had a few days left rather than 9 weeks. We start packing the hospital bag after the baby shower this weekend. I detailed my car last weekend, put new tires on it and got the oil change so it at least feels safer.

I can't wait to see this little one. Hang in there, Rachel!

And happy 9 Month birthday to mini-jewel ;)

2010 K1 December Filers: December Filers Citizenship Help

---
Let's get this Citizenship party started:
Dec 28. 2011 - Sent AOS Forms
May 15. 2012 - Green Card in Hand
Jun 12. 2012 - Our 1st Baby was born! :)

Oct 14. 2014 - ROC approved.
---

08/16/2015 - Looking into Citizenship process!

Click Here for a detailed timeline of our K1 Journey.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.