Fandango

British Bun in the Oven

1,114 posts in this topic

Thanks for waking up the thread! Was curious how everyone is doing. Under 100 days for me and little one to go. I'm on every 2 week appointments now. Getting closer. whew!

2010 K1 December Filers: December Filers Citizenship Help

---
Let's get this Citizenship party started:
Dec 28. 2011 - Sent AOS Forms
May 15. 2012 - Green Card in Hand
Jun 12. 2012 - Our 1st Baby was born! :)

Oct 14. 2014 - ROC approved.
---

08/16/2015 - Looking into Citizenship process!

Click Here for a detailed timeline of our K1 Journey.

physically i've been OK but heartburn is starting to hit something terrible. emotionally i've been fighting with my husband every hormonal chance I get. He's a good sport. And by good sport I mean he yells right back. lol. I am totally scared but I find some peace in the fact that this is happening no matter what and chances are I will come out of it alive. Now just trying to figure out what after-baby work life will look like. Hmmmmmmmmm....

---

---

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Congrats on being so close to the end you two!!

Tracy, that sucks about the job and the gallbladder.

Tomorrow I finish my last scheduled fulltime shift. I will be working evenings 20 hours a week. Not sure how it will be, but I have barely seen my husband except for during the weekends for the last 5 weeks. It has been so hard I can barely handle it. Tonight was the first night I came home at 10 pm and everyone was already in bed. Very sad day as this is what I have to look forward to 5 days a week starting next Tuesday.

Rozzie is 8 months old and close to crawling. Tomorrow will be the last day she is in daycare and I am so happy. So excited to be home with my kids during the day and only gone at night while Dave (or my mom if he is out of town) is taking care of them.

Dave is leaving for a work guy's trip to Vegas for a couple days next week and I'm not looking forward to it for a lot of reasons. Mostly because the baby wakes up 4 times a night and I'm sleep deprived. Not happy that he gets a 2 night break from it and I don't. :crying:

Ok, time to stop venting/ranting. Life is good in a new house in a new city just south of where we use to live. After tomorrow I get a 3 day weekend. YAY!

Our VisaJourney started July 2009 when I mailed the 129-F

Fiance here February 2010, married 10 days later

GC received in the mail 10-Jun-2010

Able to apply to remove conditions 12-Feb-2012

BABY GIRL BORN JULY 2011!!!

Hi, ladies

How are things? I'm glad to see this thread getting some action again!

Rachel, the place looks great! I bet the day bed will come in very handy. How are you feeling?

I wasn't worried about the birth at all, about the only advantage to having a largely miserable pregnancy. I just wanted it to be over and didn't care how I got there! Although I did know that I would be requesting whatever painkilling substances they could throw at me. Like Tracy, I knew when the time was upon me. I woke up with what felt like pretty bad menstrual cramps and was spotting for the first time during the pregnancy. I was also four days past my due date at that point. My water didn't break until I'd been in the hospital for a few hours. The contractions started in the early afternoon, and again, there was no mistaking them for Braxton Hicks contractions, which I'd been having for months. It was very exciting!

Tracy, I'm so sorry about the gallbladder situation. Is there any way you can take unpaid leave and get it done ASAP? How long is the recovery? I'm going to channel my Jewish grandmother here: "Nothing is more important than your health!" My mom had her gallbladder out when she was about my age, although this was back in the old days before the laparoscopic option. I know it wasn't fun, but she felt so much better afterwards. She only had a few attacks and she said they weren't that bad. The stones were actually discovered during a test for something else.

Jewel, that's great news about your new schedule...at least the no-daycare part. Why is Rozzie waking up four times a night? That sounds like a nightmare. I wonder if you could try some sleep training? We were a little late to self-soothing approach, but it worked like a charm. Madeleine's nighttime sleep-stretch lengthening was so gradual that we never really had to do it, although in retrospect, we could have been putting her to bed earlier rather than waiting until she was about to pass out. We only realized this after our trip to the UK, which completely screwed up her sleep. She got used to someone tending to her whenever she cried, and it took us a little while to figure this out. After a few painful, loud bedtimes, she's now sleeping nearly 12 hours uninterrupted and is better rested overall. I would have given a limb for this a year ago. My only regret is that we didn't take that approach when she was a bit younger (say, 7 or 8 months).

Dizzy, I hope the heartburn improves for you! I had terrible heartburn toward the end too. Zantac worked pretty well, along with lots of peppermint Tums. And you'll do great when the baby arrives! My thinking was similar. I had no idea what to expect and was anxious in the same way I think every new expecting parent is, but as you said, it's happening, and you'll deal with things as they come. And of course, we're here for advice and/or if you just want to kvetch! :star:

K-1

March 7, 2005: I-129F NOA1

September 20, 2005: K-1 Interview in London. Visa received shortly thereafter.

AOS

December 30, 2005: I-485 received by USCIS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

Received 10-year green card February 28, 2008

Your Humble Advice Columnist, Joyce

Come check out the most happenin' thread on VJ: Dear Joyce

Click here to see me visiting with my homebodies.

[The grooviest signature you've ever seen is under construction!]

Hurrah for three-day weekends! Enjoy it, Jewel!

Julie - I really can't complain. Ankles slightly swollen, lungs compressed, and occasional heart-burn/back pain, but that's really about it! Not too bad for my 8th month of pregnancy. :) I'm still relatively mobile and able to work, thank goodness.

I hope I know when I'm in labour. I've heard so many stories of people thinking their water's broken only to discover they've merely peed themselves, and also a couple of stories of people going in for a regular check-up only to be sent straight to L&D because they're about to deliver!

Dizzy - I'm thinking the same way you are! It's too late to turn back now, so really all I can do is press on!

I've considered only working a 6-hour day after my maternity leave ends, but honestly I'm not sure we can afford it at the moment. Even though Alex is hopefully switching to a schedule where we wouldn't need his mother to babysit for as many hours a day as originally expected, we'd still want to pay her the same - we know she's going to be relying fairly heavily on the income we give her.

Oh - it turns out my OB doesn't even attend vaginal births or emergency c-sections! He's actually only there if you have a scheduled c-section; no wonder he is so pro them! Honestly this is a bit of a relief for me; I like him, but was kind of hoping he wouldn't be in attendance at the birth. ;) Fortunately the hospital seems really great. They have private rooms, they allow you to labour in whatever position you're comfortable in (so long as you don't have an epidural, of course), and they're very pro skin-to-skin contact after birth. :)

sharasugar.pngsharanomsugar.png

07/11/2006 - First met

08/22/2008 - K1 Visa in hand

12/27/2008 - Marriage

05/20/2009 - AOS complete

10/06/2011 - ROC complete

04/20/2012 - Annaleah born!

physically i've been OK but heartburn is starting to hit something terrible. emotionally i've been fighting with my husband every hormonal chance I get. He's a good sport. And by good sport I mean he yells right back. lol. I am totally scared but I find some peace in the fact that this is happening no matter what and chances are I will come out of it alive. Now just trying to figure out what after-baby work life will look like. Hmmmmmmmmm....

That heartburn about killed me at the end! I just had to keep telling myself it will end. LOL. As will the hormonal induced spousal fights. HA HA!!! What are you thinking about work ?

Hi, ladies

How are things? I'm glad to see this thread getting some action again!

Rachel, the place looks great! I bet the day bed will come in very handy. How are you feeling?

I wasn't worried about the birth at all, about the only advantage to having a largely miserable pregnancy. I just wanted it to be over and didn't care how I got there! Although I did know that I would be requesting whatever painkilling substances they could throw at me. Like Tracy, I knew when the time was upon me. I woke up with what felt like pretty bad menstrual cramps and was spotting for the first time during the pregnancy. I was also four days past my due date at that point. My water didn't break until I'd been in the hospital for a few hours. The contractions started in the early afternoon, and again, there was no mistaking them for Braxton Hicks contractions, which I'd been having for months. It was very exciting!

Tracy, I'm so sorry about the gallbladder situation. Is there any way you can take unpaid leave and get it done ASAP? How long is the recovery? I'm going to channel my Jewish grandmother here: "Nothing is more important than your health!" My mom had her gallbladder out when she was about my age, although this was back in the old days before the laparoscopic option. I know it wasn't fun, but she felt so much better afterwards. She only had a few attacks and she said they weren't that bad. The stones were actually discovered during a test for something else.

Jewel, that's great news about your new schedule...at least the no-daycare part. Why is Rozzie waking up four times a night? That sounds like a nightmare. I wonder if you could try some sleep training? We were a little late to self-soothing approach, but it worked like a charm. Madeleine's nighttime sleep-stretch lengthening was so gradual that we never really had to do it, although in retrospect, we could have been putting her to bed earlier rather than waiting until she was about to pass out. We only realized this after our trip to the UK, which completely screwed up her sleep. She got used to someone tending to her whenever she cried, and it took us a little while to figure this out. After a few painful, loud bedtimes, she's now sleeping nearly 12 hours uninterrupted and is better rested overall. I would have given a limb for this a year ago. My only regret is that we didn't take that approach when she was a bit younger (say, 7 or 8 months).

Dizzy, I hope the heartburn improves for you! I had terrible heartburn toward the end too. Zantac worked pretty well, along with lots of peppermint Tums. And you'll do great when the baby arrives! My thinking was similar. I had no idea what to expect and was anxious in the same way I think every new expecting parent is, but as you said, it's happening, and you'll deal with things as they come. And of course, we're here for advice and/or if you just want to kvetch! :star:

As the sole breadwinner, I can't go a week without pay so I'm going to have to suck it up until August. But hey it could be worse. They say 2-3 day recovery but I've cleared the week of Labor Day off with my boss. I'd rather plan for more days and not need them then feel like ####### and not have them to take.

Jewel - like Empress, i was wondering about the waking at night. At about 4 months, our pediatrician told us we'd spare ourselves tons of grief later if we started to let her soothe herself to sleep. Basically she said to put her down in her crib awake so that she'd learn how to fall asleep without needing us. We could still rock her, give her a bottle or what not - but put her down awake. I think it was about a week after we started that which she got the hint. Sometimes still she'll even wake up in the night, have a quick shout out or two and go right back to sleep. I SO could hug her doctor for that piece of advice!!! LOL

I know you're looking forward to being at home with her during the day too. YAY for that! I know it'll be an adjustment though, but ultimately it will be better for all of you. I'm really glad you have that option.

They have private rooms, they allow you to labour in whatever position you're comfortable in (so long as you don't have an epidural, of course), and they're very pro skin-to-skin contact after birth. :)

If you're going to give birth without drugs, I bow down to you now. :lol: I know that's the 'natural' way but my mind couldn't get around the concept of pushing something the size of a watermelon out of an opening the size of an orange as 'natural'. :rofl: I had another friend do that and I'm still amazed.

SA4userbar.jpg

Being the sole breadwinner is tough! Although in my case Alex does work - but at the moment it's pretty much pocket money for him/money to pay off his credit card. You have my full sympathies, Tracy!

Also, I am going to TRY to go unmedicated! However, if I end up having to be induced... I think I'll opt for the epidural as pitocin contractions do NOT sound fun! Really, my desire to go unmedicated is largely due to knowing how I react to pain medication - i.e. very poorly!

07/11/2006 - First met

12/27/2008 - Marriage

I'm not really singing a sad song. At least I know my child is with her daddy all day - which is worth such an incredible amount of peace of mind, it isn't even funny. But it does mean I sometimes have to make different choices, and put things off (like surgery).

I'm not sure I'd consider an epidural an actual pain medicine in the traditional sense. I think of it more as a pain blocker . I've never heard of anyone having side effects from it other than some vomiting (don't eat once labor starts btw - learned that the hard way because no one told me, LOL) and the 'shakes'. But I do know everyone reacts to medicine in different ways so you have to go with your gut. Or if you just don't like the idea of it - this is why we women have options. :)

I don't think any contractions are fun - they kicked my butt - but I have heard the pitocin ones are stronger.

SA4userbar.jpg

Oh yes - I'd go for the epidural over any other pain medication! I'd try to hold off on the epi - stories of it wearing off, or not working to begin with, etc. - but if I feel I can't manage, I'll go straight for that over anything else. Anything that might mess with my brain = no way! I took some strong prescription-strength painkillers once and the numbing feeling was so horrible I'd have rather coped with the pain.

My MIL and mother managed all-natural births, but then they also had five-hour-maximum labours! (Counting from first regular contraction). I'm keeping an open mind; I've certainly read a few stories recently where the epidural REALLY helped the woman in question. A few of them even slept through the entire transition stage, which sounds pretty sweet to me!

07/11/2006 - First met

12/27/2008 - Marriage

Yo

Rachel, good for you for even considering going w/o the epidural! There certainly are advantages to forgoing it if you can. I'd say the main one is not having to deal with a catheter. Also, I think you can eat sooner after delivery if you don't have an epidural, although I'm not sure about that (Tracy, did you have to wait to eat?). I wasn't allowed to eat solid food for nearly 48 hours after delivery--I think this is because of the c-section, whatever drug they add to usual epidural for that. They said I couldn't eat until I passed gas *snork!*, the concern being that eating solid food too early could lead to major digestive discomfort, which I'm prone to anyway. I don't think this happened for days (I was super constipated after delivery). The epidural also gave me major shakes, and I was sick a few times. But I also had it in for nearly 12 hours. I'd been having contractions pretty close together for hours before I had it put in, and I'll be honest: it was magical when it took effect. A very strange sensation, but suddenly I couldn't feel the contractions at all. It was awesome. But I say, if labor seems to be progressing quickly, see if you can go without.

K-1

AOS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

Yo

Rachel, good for you for even considering going w/o the epidural! There certainly are advantages to forgoing it if you can. I'd say the main one is not having to deal with a catheter. Also, I think you can eat sooner after delivery if you don't have an epidural, although I'm not sure about that (Tracy, did you have to wait to eat?). I wasn't allowed to eat solid food for nearly 48 hours after delivery--I think this is because of the c-section, whatever drug they add to usual epidural for that. They said I couldn't eat until I passed gas *snork!*, the concern being that eating solid food too early could lead to major digestive discomfort, which I'm prone to anyway. I don't think this happened for days (I was super constipated after delivery). The epidural also gave me major shakes, and I was sick a few times. But I also had it in for nearly 12 hours. I'd been having contractions pretty close together for hours before I had it put in, and I'll be honest: it was magical when it took effect. A very strange sensation, but suddenly I couldn't feel the contractions at all. It was awesome. But I say, if labor seems to be progressing quickly, see if you can go without.

I had no restrictions on when or what I could eat post-partum. In fact, I sent my dad out to Panera to get me real food about an hour after I'd had her. :lol: I'm sure yours was due to the c-section.

The catheter didn't bother me. They took it out an hour or so after delivery, then made me get up to pee about an hour after that.

I will say though - I did have a major 'hot spot' during delivery which meant I felt every contraction just below my left hip. :( I had never even heard of a 'hot spot' until it happened to me, so that's why I mention it here. And my left side was WAY more numb than my right. I mean it was noodle leg to get up to the bathroom - it took two nurses and a wheelchair to get me there! My right side was feeling normal a few hours after I had her, but it took until 10 pm or so before my left leg was back to normal (I had her just before 2 pm). But I think my scoliosis probably exacerbated that since I'm kind of 'off to one side' to begin with.

Other than that, I wouldn't have traded the epidural for ANYTHING. It gave me several hours of good rest after having been in labor for nearly 24 hours when I got the epi - so I sorely needed it. Plus I felt nothing when I pushed - just that dang hip 'hot spot' for the contractions.

SA4userbar.jpg

I had no restrictions on when or what I could eat post-partum. In fact, I sent my dad out to Panera to get me real food about an hour after I'd had her. :lol: I'm sure yours was due to the c-section.

The catheter didn't bother me. They took it out an hour or so after delivery, then made me get up to pee about an hour after that.

I will say though - I did have a major 'hot spot' during delivery which meant I felt every contraction just below my left hip. :( I had never even heard of a 'hot spot' until it happened to me, so that's why I mention it here. And my left side was WAY more numb than my right. I mean it was noodle leg to get up to the bathroom - it took two nurses and a wheelchair to get me there! My right side was feeling normal a few hours after I had her, but it took until 10 pm or so before my left leg was back to normal (I had her just before 2 pm). But I think my scoliosis probably exacerbated that since I'm kind of 'off to one side' to begin with.

Other than that, I wouldn't have traded the epidural for ANYTHING. It gave me several hours of good rest after having been in labor for nearly 24 hours when I got the epi - so I sorely needed it. Plus I felt nothing when I pushed - just that dang hip 'hot spot' for the contractions.

Ah, so it does seem that some of the negatives I experienced were specific to the c-section drug. I think the catheter was removed 12-15 hours after delivery. It seemed like an eternity that I was essentially trapped in the bed. Limita was born at 9 a.m., and the nurse took the catheter out sometime that night. Believe it or not, it's a little hazy! I remember they measured my pee output using a urine hat (a little thing they put in the toilet). The nurse was impressed that I knew what it was called. I'd edited a nursing textbook not long before and remembered that term...which is rather memorable. :lol:

K-1

AOS

:lol: I bet it is!!!

Just as an FYI - since Emily is the elder stateslady of this thread - expect some sleep issues before or around their 2nd birthday. While she sleeps well once she goes to sleep (still 12 hours a night), she does NOT want to go to bed. I suppose this is normal - she'd rather be up and playing than in bed, despite being tired.

She also will not nap for love nor money. She'd rather be in her crib having a tantrum over the fact that she's in her crib than have a dang nap (again no matter how tired she is). The only time she gets one anymore is if we happen to have her in the car at the right time. She had about 40 minutes in there Saturday afternoon around 3 pm and she was a different baby that night - hardly cried at all and no tantrums. But then she fought us until 11 to go to bed - and even at that, we had to put her in there only to watch her stand up and have a screaming fit after we'd shut the door. A screaming fit that lasted 20 more minutes.

I'm not really sure what to do. We try to keep to a routine - bath (if it's a bath night) about an hour before bed, then a snack, then bedtime. This worked like a charm up until about 3 months ago. We have tried 'dancing' her to sleep with music in a dark room (one of us holding her, usually Chas) - some nights that works - and we put her in her crib 95% asleep - some nights she just kicks to get down and wants to play. It's stressing us both out because we don't know what to try or if we're going to have an easy night or a night of screaming and temper until she exhausts herself.

Not really sure what else we can do but try and stick to the routine. Maybe we could be a bit more rigid with what time we start it. Some nights its 8:30 - some not until 9 or after. Wonder if that's throwing it off? Gah - I dunno!!

SA4userbar.jpg

Dahhhhhhhh. I felt absolutely certain I was an epi kinda gal. Witnessing my two sisters-in-law give birth a) natural and b) epi...i'm totally convinced epi is the way to go. But then I keep hearing about the after birth benefits of foregoing the epi and now i just don't know.

So now my plan is, go as far as I can taking the pain and when I can't take it anymore - epi. God only knows what I'm going to be thinking when it's D-Day. I'm just ready to hold little dude!

Oh and I'm the bread winner, too. Daddy is most likely going to be the one who is part time and home with dude during the day

Edited by DiZZyLoX

---

---

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.