Fandango

British Bun in the Oven

1,114 posts in this topic

Dizzy & Rachel, I meant to point out a couple of great sites, if you're not already familiar with them:

www.babysteals.com

and

kids.woot.com/

Babysteals has two deals a day, and Woot has one. The Woot site has a lot of kids' stuff too, but some great baby stuff occasionally. I've bought several useful things from Babysteals, including cloth diapers.

K-1

March 7, 2005: I-129F NOA1

September 20, 2005: K-1 Interview in London. Visa received shortly thereafter.

AOS

December 30, 2005: I-485 received by USCIS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

Received 10-year green card February 28, 2008

Your Humble Advice Columnist, Joyce

Come check out the most happenin' thread on VJ: Dear Joyce

Click here to see me visiting with my homebodies.

[The grooviest signature you've ever seen is under construction!]

Knock on wood, things seem to be back to normal. We had to return to a bit of sleep training (never fun), but it seems to have paid off, and she's now sleeping 10-11 hours. :star: She also seems in better spirits because she's finally getting adequate rest! Madeleine's UK cousin Max, who is 13 months, is still waking up at least once a night because my bro- and sis-in-law can't stand the crying and never really taught him to self-soothe. My SIL is exhausted all the time. It's weird, because when he was younger (like four months), he was a much better sleeper than Madeleine was at that time (she was six months--way older in baby time, especially where sleep is concerned--and I was so jealous!). I'm not sure what happened, but their basic routine is to put him down at 7 or so, and when he wakes up crying anywhere between 12 and 3, they take him to bed with them. This settles him down initially, but at some point he gets restless and starts crying again. I don't think any of them has had a decent night's sleep in months. They tried CIO, and the first night, he screamed for over an hour, and they gave up. I'm not sure if they've tried it since. I hope I'm not introducing a controversial subject, because I know people have different views on this. My SIL says she knows they're doing everything wrong, but she doesn't want to call the "supernanny" who helped them early on because she's afraid she'll "give her a bollocking." Which I'm sure she won't. I'm thinking, if she can help you, who cares anyway? Honestly, I'd be at my wits' end.

Anyway, Mad-Ag's sleep is good now. She's still fusses for a few minutes before settling down, but all in all, we're back in business!

That is odd about your brother and sister in law's son! Honestly I think moving him into their bed was a huge mistake. All that taught him was mommy and daddy will soothe me. Of course, I know they did this out of desperation for sleep (don't mean to sound 'judgey') but that certainly isn't something they want him to rely on going forward. Having them learn to self soothe is the key, and unfortunately now that he's a little older, he's probably going to fight that harder than he would have if he were younger. I feel for them - but agree with you-- if 'supernanny' can help, who cares? LOL

I've had a cruddy week at the new job. Got in Monday a.m. to find an email from my team lead. She decided to take her Sunday and review the work I'd done the prior week, which is fine (I expect that at this stage). She included a spreadsheet going through the situations one at a time. But what I was not happy about was that she was taking me to task for things I couldn't possibly have known. For example, I am running through steps in a scenario that someone else on the team wrote. She had an issue with the steps and wrote down her issue with the steps on the spreadsheet and then put 'this should have been caught and questioned'. Um - how was I supposed to know that the steps my coworkers provided were wrong, esp. when I know zero about the underlying business process?!

About the worst part of it all, though, was she CC'd my boss on it. I'm sorry - but that's ####*y. I would never do that to a new employee unless I thought they were displaying gross misconduct - not that they were just new and still trying to understand things (and making honest mistakes). A coworker told me this week that some see the team lead as 'hard to get along with' (ya think??!). Apparently this coworker also tried to point out to the team lead how I have had zero to no training, and how being new is hard (thank goodness for her!!).

Anyway now my main conundrum is wondering what the hell my boss thinks of all of this. I CC'd him back on my response, pointing out I had no way to know the steps were wrong, etc. and that I was going by what my coworkers had provided and assumed that the steps were correct (what else should I have assumed? That they f'ed it up on purpose? LOL). He can be hard to find - in a lot of meetings, etc - but I would like to get five minutes with him to kind of get his perspective. I honestly left here Monday thinking I was about 2 shades shy of being fired. :( Frankly they could still be having second thoughts based on her comments, but I don't know what I can do about it other than what I've done (gone back and corrected my mistakes, gotten updates from coworkers, etc).

Serenity now!!!

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Tracy, It's the weekend! I hope things have gone smoother this week. If not, well at least you still have a couple more weeks to get use to your job before you have to decide anything.

Hope everyone else is doing well!!!

Our VisaJourney started July 2009 when I mailed the 129-F

Fiance here February 2010, married 10 days later

GC received in the mail 10-Jun-2010

Able to apply to remove conditions 12-Feb-2012

BABY GIRL BORN JULY 2011!!!

That is odd about your brother and sister in law's son! Honestly I think moving him into their bed was a huge mistake. All that taught him was mommy and daddy will soothe me. Of course, I know they did this out of desperation for sleep (don't mean to sound 'judgey') but that certainly isn't something they want him to rely on going forward. Having them learn to self soothe is the key, and unfortunately now that he's a little older, he's probably going to fight that harder than he would have if he were younger. I feel for them - but agree with you-- if 'supernanny' can help, who cares? LOL

I've had a cruddy week at the new job. Got in Monday a.m. to find an email from my team lead. She decided to take her Sunday and review the work I'd done the prior week, which is fine (I expect that at this stage). She included a spreadsheet going through the situations one at a time. But what I was not happy about was that she was taking me to task for things I couldn't possibly have known. For example, I am running through steps in a scenario that someone else on the team wrote. She had an issue with the steps and wrote down her issue with the steps on the spreadsheet and then put 'this should have been caught and questioned'. Um - how was I supposed to know that the steps my coworkers provided were wrong, esp. when I know zero about the underlying business process?!

About the worst part of it all, though, was she CC'd my boss on it. I'm sorry - but that's ####*y. I would never do that to a new employee unless I thought they were displaying gross misconduct - not that they were just new and still trying to understand things (and making honest mistakes). A coworker told me this week that some see the team lead as 'hard to get along with' (ya think??!). Apparently this coworker also tried to point out to the team lead how I have had zero to no training, and how being new is hard (thank goodness for her!!).

Anyway now my main conundrum is wondering what the hell my boss thinks of all of this. I CC'd him back on my response, pointing out I had no way to know the steps were wrong, etc. and that I was going by what my coworkers had provided and assumed that the steps were correct (what else should I have assumed? That they f'ed it up on purpose? LOL). He can be hard to find - in a lot of meetings, etc - but I would like to get five minutes with him to kind of get his perspective. I honestly left here Monday thinking I was about 2 shades shy of being fired. :( Frankly they could still be having second thoughts based on her comments, but I don't know what I can do about it other than what I've done (gone back and corrected my mistakes, gotten updates from coworkers, etc).

Serenity now!!!

That sucks, Tracy. If you have a good & sensible boss, I bet the team lead will come out of it looking worse than you. It sounds like she's both out of touch and trying to make herself look good by making you look bad. It also sounds like she's lacking basic managerial skills, like...support the people on your team, and don't throw them under the bus! Let us know how it shakes out.

Re: my in-laws, yeah, they know they've established a very bad habit with Max's sleeping. I get the impression that they're hoping that the situation will resolve itself once Max gets a little older, I don't know. I'm just so grateful that Madeleine's sleeping has improved so much, and putting her down at night has become easier than it's ever been, and she's sleeping longer. She slept last night for 12 hours! When we were in the UK, my brother-in-law said that he just couldn't imagine Max sleeping more than four hours at a time.It's almost like they're resigned to this. I didn't want to be judgmental because I know that some babies just aren't good sleepers, but I felt like shaking him by the shoulders! There's no reason that a healthy one-year-old shouldn't be sleeping through the night. It's all about a habit that they've allowed him to develop. I do hope they end up calling supernanny lady, and they still might. I'm sure she's seen babies older than Max who have been cuddled back to sleep since birth. If she convinces them that this bad habit is interfering with him being adequately rested, they'll probably be more motivated to do something about it. I can say that Madeleine has been less fussy overall and has had a better appetite since we've become more rigid about her nighttime routine and bedtime. My only regret is that we didn't do it earlier!

K-1

AOS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

Dizzy & Rachel, I meant to point out a couple of great sites, if you're not already familiar with them:

www.babysteals.com

and

kids.woot.com/

Babysteals has two deals a day, and Woot has one. The Woot site has a lot of kids' stuff too, but some great baby stuff occasionally. I've bought several useful things from Babysteals, including cloth diapers.

Yes!

I just bought an Ergo from babysteals the other week, and I check it constantly now! I love all the stuff they have, even if I don't really need it. :) When I'm next paid I'm tempted to buy a couple of the things sitting in their archive.

And I haven't looked at kids woot yet, but I certainly love woot; got my Dyson there for under $200. :)

Tracy - ugh, that really sucks. My whole office is full of passive-aggressive cc'ing emailers, and it's awful! Luckily I've not been on the receiving end of anything yet, but my coworker has, and I've seen how much trouble it can cause. Hopefully your boss is on your side!

sharasugar.pngsharanomsugar.png

07/11/2006 - First met

08/22/2008 - K1 Visa in hand

12/27/2008 - Marriage

05/20/2009 - AOS complete

10/06/2011 - ROC complete

04/20/2012 - Annaleah born!

Yes!

I just bought an Ergo from babysteals the other week, and I check it constantly now! I love all the stuff they have, even if I don't really need it. :) When I'm next paid I'm tempted to buy a couple of the things sitting in their archive.

And I haven't looked at kids woot yet, but I certainly love woot; got my Dyson there for under $200. :)

Tracy - ugh, that really sucks. My whole office is full of passive-aggressive cc'ing emailers, and it's awful! Luckily I've not been on the receiving end of anything yet, but my coworker has, and I've seen how much trouble it can cause. Hopefully your boss is on your side!

Yeah, I've seen Dysons on Woot from time to time. I think we'll be in the market for a new vacuum pretty soon. People seem to love them. What do you think of your Dyson? Is it the best vacuum ever?

I bought an Ergo carrier from babysteals too! I didn't use it that much because Madeleine was never that much of a carrier/sling kinda baby, and the Ergo was a bit warm for this climate (Phoenix). But it's a great product, and I sold it on eBay for almost as much as I paid for it! :star:

Tracy, any developments with your idiotic team leader?

K-1

AOS

That sucks, Tracy. If you have a good & sensible boss, I bet the team lead will come out of it looking worse than you. It sounds like she's both out of touch and trying to make herself look good by making you look bad. It also sounds like she's lacking basic managerial skills, like...support the people on your team, and don't throw them under the bus! Let us know how it shakes out.

:) Thanks for all the support, ladies! The team lead is still reviewing everything I do, which is fine - and no other CC's to the boss SO FAR. Another coworker told me yesterday that the team lead and my boss are generally at odds with each other; she was hired and put under him without him being asked (she came in as a consultant), and she often times doesn't run her time off past him, but past the guy in the business channel we work in. That's just wrong! Our boss signs her evals - not this other guy - but she and the other guy are buddies so she goes to him instead. So my coworker didn't think my boss would take what she said very seriously - if anything, it may have ticked him off. That's made me feel better.

The day after I wrote that last post, though, another coworker on my team pi$$ed me off! I was asking her questions about what I was working on, and I guess she got tired of that. She finally said in response, "Well I'm giving you hints." :lol: I wasn't aware this was a game show but, whatever. I just left her alone at that point and ended up getting answers from the gals I eat lunch with - who are not on my team and aren't obligated to help me but they did. Whereas what I get from my team is being thrown under the bus and told they're giving 'hints'. I mean really!!!

There is one guy on my team who is a straight shooter so I'm going to stick with him for most of my questions. Other than when I have to discuss things with the team lead, that is. SIGH. It's been bumpy but I'm determined not to let them beat me. I'm about more angry now than anything, though I try to act as if I'm pleased as punch to get feedback from the team lead. I think that will serve me better in the long run.

SA4userbar.jpg

heeeeeeeeey ladies! thanks for the links! I'll check them out while i'm pretending to be working tomorrow.

Tracy, I wish I had old emails to show you of passive aggressive CC madness. I used to keep them in a folder called "Hall of Fame" in my Outlook at work. Just in case I needed a good dose of being pissed off. :)

Just poppin' in to say hello! little man is doing just dandy...dancing in my stomach or whatever it is he's doing that causes my #### to hurt and my boobs to grow. you know, all that fun stuff ;)

2010 K1 December Filers: December Filers Citizenship Help

---
Let's get this Citizenship party started:
Dec 28. 2011 - Sent AOS Forms
May 15. 2012 - Green Card in Hand
Jun 12. 2012 - Our 1st Baby was born! :)

Oct 14. 2014 - ROC approved.
---

08/16/2015 - Looking into Citizenship process!

Click Here for a detailed timeline of our K1 Journey.

Yeah, I've seen Dysons on Woot from time to time. I think we'll be in the market for a new vacuum pretty soon. People seem to love them. What do you think of your Dyson? Is it the best vacuum ever?

I bought an Ergo carrier from babysteals too! I didn't use it that much because Madeleine was never that much of a carrier/sling kinda baby, and the Ergo was a bit warm for this climate (Phoenix). But it's a great product, and I sold it on eBay for almost as much as I paid for it! :star:

It's certainly a very good vacuum! Mine is RRP $500, but on woot it was $180. It was refurbished but arrived as-new; and I've heard that Dyson refurbished ARE as good as new, no complaints from anyone that a google search could provide me!

I do like that it's a very weighty machine - it does feel as if it's doing its job. ;) Plus, gives your arms a bit of a work-out! But that may be a negative point if you have a lot of stairs or floorspace to clean. It's certainly solid - it may be made out of plastic, but I've knocked it around a few times (I'm pretty clumsy) and nothing has ever snapped or broken.

I'm no vacuum connoisseur, but I do have two longish-haired cats and it seems pretty effective at sucking up their hairs. I use it 2-3 times a week in our small apartment and am always amazed at how much it picks up! It has a lifetime-guaranteed HEPA filter which I do really like.

The two complaints are: The hose attachment on mine is a little short, and so you have to get quite close to vacuum the corners of ceilings, etc. Also, some people find using the hose and hose attachments complicated, although this hasn't been a problem for me. The other complaint is it's a wee bit difficult to clean - and you do need to clean it. I suppose it's a testament to exactly how much hair/dirt it's able to suck up. ;) Oh man, just before we moved I didn't think it was cleaning so effectively, and I turned it upside down to find the roller FULL of my hair. It was gross! I also had no idea I shed that much! I nearly had enough for a whole new wig. :) It took a good ten minutes with a pair of scissors and a comb to get it all clean again.

For $180 though? Totally best vacuum ever!

Yeah, I have no idea if this baby is going to be a baby-carrying-friendly baby, although I sure hope she is! There are so many pretty wraps and carriers available. :) I actually have a Beco Butterfly II, too, which I found for half-price on another site. As you say, baby carriers resell pretty well. I've actually seen a few wraps go for higher prices used, because some are supposed to be difficult to 'break in'! So I'm going to build up a little collection and then find out what my daughter likes.

The Ergo is definitely more husband-friendly, but the Beco is really pretty:

http://images.rebelsanctuary.com/galleries/baby/beco.jpg

Tracy - good for you! Hopefully things improve soon, and your boss grows to really like you. :)

sharasugar.pngsharanomsugar.png

07/11/2006 - First met

08/22/2008 - K1 Visa in hand

12/27/2008 - Marriage

05/20/2009 - AOS complete

10/06/2011 - ROC complete

04/20/2012 - Annaleah born!

Timeline

Tracy, BENN THERE!! I hope there will be a reorg in that department within the next few months and if you stick it out without letting it get to you too bad things will be great for you. :D

As far as babywearing gear, I have 2 Mobys and a Babyhawk and we really haven't used any of them. I need to start selling things off, especially the baby gear we don't need, as we will be moving in 3 weeks. It's hard to part with things because we are planning to have one more within the next 3 years, but at the same time I am sooooo close to paying off my last major bill and it will be nice to be rid of things to achieve that goal.

Removal of conditions on the 12th, new job on the 20th(I HOPE!), moving begins the 24th and our 2 year anniversary on the 1st of March. :D Hope things are going well for everyone else as well.

Thanks ya'll. I don't expect it to improve, but I do plan to talk to my boss the next time she gives me ####### that's uncalled for. I plan to tell him point blank that there's no way I can succeed in this environment, and if things don't change, I'll know I made a mistake by coming there. The ball is then in his court. My recruiter has told me another job I was in the running for at the same time still has not been filled so I could probably find something else quickly if I had to (even if that one were to go). That's given me a bit more confidence too - to know I have options.

But reading all the baby talk is a nice distraction so thanks :)

SA4userbar.jpg

Tracy, BENN THERE!! I hope there will be a reorg in that department within the next few months and if you stick it out without letting it get to you too bad things will be great for you. :D

As far as babywearing gear, I have 2 Mobys and a Babyhawk and we really haven't used any of them. I need to start selling things off, especially the baby gear we don't need, as we will be moving in 3 weeks. It's hard to part with things because we are planning to have one more within the next 3 years, but at the same time I am sooooo close to paying off my last major bill and it will be nice to be rid of things to achieve that goal.

Removal of conditions on the 12th, new job on the 20th(I HOPE!), moving begins the 24th and our 2 year anniversary on the 1st of March. :D Hope things are going well for everyone else as well.

Toys R Us and Babies R Us are giving out 25% off coupons for trade ins.

We just saved $250.00 on our crib and strollers by trading in my brothers beaten up baby bouncers

2010 K1 December Filers: December Filers Citizenship Help

---
Let's get this Citizenship party started:
Dec 28. 2011 - Sent AOS Forms
May 15. 2012 - Green Card in Hand
Jun 12. 2012 - Our 1st Baby was born! :)

Oct 14. 2014 - ROC approved.
---

08/16/2015 - Looking into Citizenship process!

Click Here for a detailed timeline of our K1 Journey.

Toys R Us and Babies R Us are giving out 25% off coupons for trade ins.

We just saved $250.00 on our crib and strollers by trading in my brothers beaten up baby bouncers

Thanks! I'd forgotten about this.

K-1

AOS

Timeline

Do they let you buy the items online with that discount? I want the Coccaro carseat, but they don't sell it in stores.

On the job front, I am hoping to hear about a PT night position soon. We move in 2 weeks and I will have quite the commute. We did the math and it might not make sense to pay daycare for both kids, plus gas, plus being away from the house 50+ hours a week for the same I can make working nights close to home. Plus this PT job also offers tuition reimbursement. One step closer to finishing those last few courses for my degree. Crossing my fingers that I get it!!

Timeline

Our six month photos just came in. My husband demanded that we put her in her Halloween costume for some of them. It is just too funny to not share.

post-70006-0-81901300-1328637161_thumb.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.