4 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

First of all, I came to US through K1 Visa on March 20th and we got married on May 20th. My visa expiry on June 19. Here's my problem start. I haven't apply SSN yet and according to the VJ forum "Many SSA offices will not allow you to file for a SSN if your I-94 is about to expire (generally 14 days prior to the expiration on your I-94)". We thought of applying SSN after we receive our marriage certificate because I want to use my marriage name to apply SSN (According to City Hall, we'll receive it within 2-3 weeks) and start our adjustment of status application. So, what happened to me now? Is that mean I can't apply SSN? Honestly, I don't even know why I need SSN. I only do it because everybody seem to do it. I'm not rushing to start work :help:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

At this point, it probably is too late to apply for a SSN. You can try, but we're within 14 days of the expiry of your I-94, and it probably won't work. You might have a shot if you go Monday, since it's 13 days to go and it has been a weekend. But the odds of success will decrease dramatically going forward.

The slim chances remaining if you go tomorrow notwithstanding, you probably will now have to wait until you get your EAD card to apply for a SSC. But as you've said, you don't have a huge need for it at the moment, and you can't work until you get your EAD anyways, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Once you get your EAD, go down to the local SSA office with your EAD, passport, and marriage certificate [You might also want your birth certificate and a local driver license if you have one by then] and they'll give you a SSC, no problems.

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Why is this titled 'I'm Death!' when it's a matter of a SSN. :unsure:

Anyways, the SSO will want to see you're in status, which means waiting for the EAD as described above, or most likely waiting for the GC. It depends on the office, I guess. I was told they would accept the GC but not the EAD before they could issue me with a new SSN. Good luck.

Filed: Timeline

Well, I thought I'm screw because everyone seem to do their SSN earlier and I haven't do until now. Thanks for the info! I guess I can wait for EAD or GC :D

Why is this titled 'I'm Death!' when it's a matter of a SSN. :unsure:

Anyways, the SSO will want to see you're in status, which means waiting for the EAD as described above, or most likely waiting for the GC. It depends on the office, I guess. I was told they would accept the GC but not the EAD before they could issue me with a new SSN. Good luck.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.