oopsiestacey

Need some advice

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

First off, I'm Canadian, living and working in Canada, while my husband is in the US.

We got married in Canada at the end of April, and I'm wanting to move there.

We're still unsure as to which visa we should file for.

After looking at the K3 for a while and studying it, collecting little by little the papers that what we need etc., I've been reading that the K3 is "dead", and now I'm not sure if we should file for it anyways or just study the IR1/CR1 and file for that.

On another note, just wondering if anyone has any idea what I would need to bring with me if I wanted to visit him in the US before the process is finished. I talked to customs a while back and from what I gathered, I don't really have any "ties to Canada" aside from my job (as I don't have any bills to pay whatsoever).

So would a letter stating when I started working there, when I'll be taking my vacation to visit him and when I'll be returning to work from my employer suffice?

Thanks for any and all help!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

First off, I'm Canadian, living and working in Canada, while my husband is in the US.

We got married in Canada at the end of April, and I'm wanting to move there.

We're still unsure as to which visa we should file for.

After looking at the K3 for a while and studying it, collecting little by little the papers that what we need etc., I've been reading that the K3 is "dead", and now I'm not sure if we should file for it anyways or just study the IR1/CR1 and file for that.

On another note, just wondering if anyone has any idea what I would need to bring with me if I wanted to visit him in the US before the process is finished. I talked to customs a while back and from what I gathered, I don't really have any "ties to Canada" aside from my job (as I don't have any bills to pay whatsoever).

So would a letter stating when I started working there, when I'll be taking my vacation to visit him and when I'll be returning to work from my employer suffice?

Thanks for any and all help!

Essentially the K3 is obsolete so IMO the I-130 petition leading to the CR1/IR1 visa is the way to go. There is a very long discussion in the K3 forum on the subject if you have the time . :)

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/253847-why-are-people-advising-others-that-the-k3-is-obsolete/

You can visit your husband while the process is under way but you are correct in that you may be asked to show ties to Canada. There have been many different experiences of filers; perhaps if you post in the Canada forum noting which border crossing you typically use you can get more specific answers. Keep in mind there are never any guarantees, it is always up to the discretion of the border officer.

Good luck on your journey!

Edited by OBX

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

I would recommend the IR/CR1 visa, once I was approved everything was ready, I could start working, move here, etc. Just a thought.

You can definitely visit whenever, I always made sure I had a letter from my employer (and told my boss "incase a border crossing guard ever calls you....") and had anything that would tie me down to Canada. I never had a problem, but I know someone who did. She wasn't working at all, so obviously it made it questionable. They gave her a 30 days Visitors Visa at that point. Always make sure to bring more info than necessary. Better safe than sorry!

Have a fun visit!

***Removing Conditions***

Submitted I-751: March 4, 2011

Check cashed: March 10, 2011

NOA1: March 8, 2011

Biometrics Appt: April 21, 2011

Early Bio Walk-in: April 7, 2011

Approved: September 7, 2011

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I, on the other hand, was not allowed to cross once we began our visa process.

I had brought along with me a recent paystub, letter from work, rental lease, bank statement, etc. Still, when the border guards found out I was going to see my hubby AND that we had already applied for my CR1 visa, they denied me AND they informed me not to try crossing again because it could have an adverse affect on my CR1 visa.

Hope everything works out for you!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

There have been many different experiences of filers; perhaps if you post in the Canada forum noting which border crossing you typically use you can get more specific answers.

I usually drive to the airport in Ottawa, so I never go through customs until I'm already in the US when I try to leave the airport.

I'm afraid to do this, because when I brought my husband to Canada and he mentioned we were getting married, they almost didn't let him through until he explained that we were getting married and he was leaving a few weeks later, and that we would be filing for a K3 (which we probably aren't, after reading the topic you sent me).

I'd be worried about getting there and then customs not letting me through, so I was thinking about booking my flight in Syracuse ahead of time and then trying to cross the border there.

Also wondering where I would go to find the Canada forum.

And thanks for all of your help, everyone.

Edited by oopsiestacey

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.