Persona

SSN Card And All the bullshi*

19 posts in this topic

** Topic may be better suited in "Working & Traveling During US Immigration" (rather than AOS Family-based). This is typically where SSA questions get their best responses. Moving thread there.

Filed: Timeline

Alright, So far everything on my application is okay but I had so many problem with my name that I have to share with you.

During this whole process did you speak with a manager?

Even though your I-94 has expired you can still have your SSN record corrected to show your married name. You just will not be issued a new card until you have evidence of employment authorization.

I would go back to th SSA office with your marriage certificate and ask to speak with a manager and show them this:

RM 10211.605 Request for a Replacement SSN Card Obtained for a Nonwork Purpose

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211605

A. Correcting Numident data when a replacement card cannot be issued

If the alien does not provide evidence of work authorization or a valid nonwork reason, explain that we cannot issue a replacement card.

1. Alien provides documentation supporting the change

Although the FO cannot issue a replacement card, you may correct the Numident if the alien provides documentation supporting the change (e.g., a name change).

If the alien provides documentation supporting the change, process the replacement card application to update the Numident information but suppress the issuance of a card.

-- Answer “yes” to the "Suppress card issuance" question on the SSNAP Additional Information screen and record the nonwork reason documentation on the SSNAP Proof of Legal Alien Status screen.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once the record has been corrected ask for an SSN Verification Printout. Not the same as a card, but will give you some proof of your SSN and the name on the record until you can be issued a new card.

Edited by I Quit

Timeline

Hey Ebrench N Persona! We miss you in the Canada forum!

Hopefully the wait for your GC won't be too much longer. When I went for my AOS interview I didn't have a state ID either. I had some issues with my name as well, but it was a problem with the SAVE database so a different issue but with a similar result. The IO at our interview understood why I didn't have a state ID (although he did ask) and was very understanding when I explained my situation.

So, you have an SSN in your maiden name right? You could always get added to your husbands bank account and do some other things in your maiden name and then just have the name changed on it later. I presented some evidence at our AOS interview that was still in my maiden name and it wasn't an issue. It still shows the same thing, right? Just a thought!

We could try ya I got a ssn card on my old name and after I got 3 other with bullshit on it... as a Matter of fact right now my name on the ssn office is still UNKNOWN MISS XXXXx XD

But I think they asked me to have my DMV card... :S so As long I don't have it I can't open ######...Even my visa was refused as it was from canada.

Edited by Ebrech N Persona

Process took us 1 year and 5 month from I-129F to Green Card

*09-??-2006* Met online @ world of warcraft

*~3 years later*

*01-??-2009* Relationship started

*03-01-2009* Went to see him 1 week

*03-05-2009* We got engaged

*04-06-2009* Sent I-129F

*04-07-2009* I-129F received at USCIS (California)

*04-09-2009* NOA1 received

*04-17-2009* He came to see me that weekend

*05-30-2009* He came visit me for 1 week

*07-01-2009* Still waiting the Noa2

*07-17-2009* OMG IT GOT TOUCH!! XD

*07-20-2009* Got the Noa2 without trouble!

*08-14-2009* Went to see him 2 week!

*08-18-2009* Got the packet 3!

*09-08-2009* sent Pack 3

*10-27-2009* Packet 4 received!

*11-06-2009* Gone for 1 week to see my baby

*11-20-2009* Medical at medisys + Police certificate

*12-01-2009* INTERVIEW Passed!! success!

*01-08-2010* Big Move ^^

*01-09-2010* Wedding

*02-26-2010* Filling for AoS

*03-10-2010* NOA

*03-30-2010* Biometrics taken

*09-24-2010* AOS Aproval

*I did not request my EAD or AP

*We did not get an interview

*09-30-2010* Green Card in hand!

Timeline

During this whole process did you speak with a manager?

Even though your I-94 has expired you can still have your SSN record corrected to show your married name. You just will not be issued a new card until you have evidence of employment authorization.

I would go back to th SSA office with your marriage certificate and ask to speak with a manager and show them this:

RM 10211.605 Request for a Replacement SSN Card Obtained for a Nonwork Purpose

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211605

A. Correcting Numident data when a replacement card cannot be issued

If the alien does not provide evidence of work authorization or a valid nonwork reason, explain that we cannot issue a replacement card.

1. Alien provides documentation supporting the change

Although the FO cannot issue a replacement card, you may correct the Numident if the alien provides documentation supporting the change (e.g., a name change).

If the alien provides documentation supporting the change, process the replacement card application to update the Numident information but suppress the issuance of a card.

-- Answer “yes” to the "Suppress card issuance" question on the SSNAP Additional Information screen and record the nonwork reason documentation on the SSNAP Proof of Legal Alien Status screen.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once the record has been corrected ask for an SSN Verification Printout. Not the same as a card, but will give you some proof of your SSN and the name on the record until you can be issued a new card.

Thanks much I will :D

Process took us 1 year and 5 month from I-129F to Green Card

*09-??-2006* Met online @ world of warcraft

*~3 years later*

*01-??-2009* Relationship started

*03-01-2009* Went to see him 1 week

*03-05-2009* We got engaged

*04-06-2009* Sent I-129F

*04-07-2009* I-129F received at USCIS (California)

*04-09-2009* NOA1 received

*04-17-2009* He came to see me that weekend

*05-30-2009* He came visit me for 1 week

*07-01-2009* Still waiting the Noa2

*07-17-2009* OMG IT GOT TOUCH!! XD

*07-20-2009* Got the Noa2 without trouble!

*08-14-2009* Went to see him 2 week!

*08-18-2009* Got the packet 3!

*09-08-2009* sent Pack 3

*10-27-2009* Packet 4 received!

*11-06-2009* Gone for 1 week to see my baby

*11-20-2009* Medical at medisys + Police certificate

*12-01-2009* INTERVIEW Passed!! success!

*01-08-2010* Big Move ^^

*01-09-2010* Wedding

*02-26-2010* Filling for AoS

*03-10-2010* NOA

*03-30-2010* Biometrics taken

*09-24-2010* AOS Aproval

*I did not request my EAD or AP

*We did not get an interview

*09-30-2010* Green Card in hand!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.