Peter Miami

Colombia Club

4,917 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hey guys, correct me if I'm wrong but as of last year the DAS gave people specific instructions not to open the Carta Migratoria. They used to hand it out in a sealed envelope and it was meant to be opened by the embassy only. If the document was opened it became invalid and the US embassy didn't accept it that way.

Is this no longer the case? :huh:

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

They give you a copy so you can look at it, they say is a different format than the sealed envelope, that envelope is not supposed to be open, you are just a mailman.

Consulate : Bogota, Colombia

Marriage : 1985-10-12

I-130 Sent : 2008-12-22

I-130 Approved : 2009-01-08

Received DS-230 / I-864 : 2008-12-22

Packet 4 Received : 2009-01-14

Interview Date : 2009-02-19 VISA APROBADA

Visa in hand: 2009-02-21 Saturday,61 days

POE Miami 2009-02-25

SS card 2009-03-10

Green card 2009-03-16 GREEN CARD

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Okay, it seems we have a bit of a problem.

Miss DeathNova went to Banco de Credito to pay for the visa and they're trying to tell her that her passport document number (the one embossed on the cover) is her passport number and not the number that actually says "Passport Number" on her passport. Maybe i'm retarded but they're trying to make her fill out two new DS-156 (didn't know it was the banks job to do anything but take money and carry on) with the passport document number.

I told her to go ahead and do it just to get the receipts and then bring both to the embassy to ask for further instructions. I'm assuming i'm correct here or did I just mess up all of her forms by typing the "Passport Number" as the passport number?

In the grand scheme of things, if there is an error once shes at the embassy will they allow her to fill out a new form on the spot or will they send her home?

As another member said the biographical page of a Colombian passport shows the cédula as the passport number, which is wrong. The passport # is the number embossed on the cover. HOWEVER, for some reason people will never look at this number as such. My husband traveled to Colombia last November and he entered this embossed # at the counter when he checked in, the airline lady told him that was the wrong number and she entered his CC that is on the passport. It was a complete mess because this happened again at the Avianca counter.

So in summary, no the CC # is not the passport number but many people will mistakenly think it is.

Diana

Yep. In some countries like Spain, FYI... the cedulary info (national ID #) IS the passport #... but not Colombia.

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

Timeline
They give you a copy so you can look at it, they say is a different format than the sealed envelope, that envelope is not supposed to be open, you are just a mailman.

Interesting. We did not get to see my SO's migratoria until the day of the interview. No copy was given.

Even being wrong and all... with several exits/entries (Panamá, Aruba, Spain, etc...) which were false since my SO had only left Colombia to visit Venezuela on a couple of very short day trips... it was accepted and no problems came up at the Embassy. Go figure.

Timeline

If the CO takes the envelope, and accepts all these crazy imaginary trips, that makes the document useless, a database that nobody believes is an insult to the intelligence of us all, and the money they are charging for it should be returned. and the embassy should reconsider asking for the paper.

POE Miami 2009-02-25

SS card 2009-03-10

Timeline
If the CO takes the envelope, and accepts all these crazy imaginary trips, that makes the document useless, a database that nobody believes is an insult to the intelligence of us all, and the money they are charging for it should be returned. and the embassy should reconsider asking for the paper.

Pretty much is a useless waste of time in asking for something that can be corroborated by entry/exist stamps on a passport anyway.

Then again, if we raise a fuss about Colombian MDs literally acting in a medically improper manner in forcing beneficiaries to double vaccinate as a condition to 'pass' the medical part of the process... and the Embassy has been notified about this ethical misconduct (while doing nothing)... then you can only imagine how a paper will be viewed.

At least the paper the Migratoria is printed on is super thin. Less waste on the environment.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

My attorney said the real reason for the carta is to verify any U.S. entries that might have slipped through the cracks. I'm just concerned about the Aruba one in particular because some whack job CO might try to make her get a police certificate since there is no return date documented.

05AUG08 - Prepared I-129F at attorney's office

07AUG08 - Case received at VSC

13AUG08 - NOA1

18AUG08 - Touched

10DEC08 - NOA2

19DEC08 - Confirmed package left NVC, en route to Bogota

02JAN09 - Confirmed package received at Bogota

05JAN09 - Sent Package 3 by fax, waiting for some type of confirmation

09JAN09 - Called DOS, received appointment date of 09FEB2009, 0700

05FEB09 - Completed lab and medical

09FEB09 - Embassy appointment, visa approved

16MAR09 - Atlanta POE

26MAR09 - Requested SSN

25APR09 - Wedding date set

Timeline
Hey guys, correct me if I'm wrong but as of last year the DAS gave people specific instructions not to open the Carta Migratoria. They used to hand it out in a sealed envelope and it was meant to be opened by the embassy only. If the document was opened it became invalid and the US embassy didn't accept it that way.

Is this no longer the case? :huh:

Diana

Diana, I just talked to my wife yesterday concerning the Carte Migratoria. She told me that DAS gave her a sealed envelope, but she managed to see the paragraph through the almost transparent envelope. Maybe they have improved their service since many people have complained of errors in their Carta Migratoria.

On another note, everything is going well on my wife's CR-1, except for the fact the she had to wait over 4 hours to get her x-rays and blood work, and another 7 hours for her physical at Dr. Roa's. She told me that exam procedures are very disorganized and that more staff are needed to take on the numereous patients that attend.

Now, this is were the praying begins, her interview is scheduled for tomorrow, Jan 21st for the CR-1, wish us luck.

Thanks again Colombia Club.

Edited by Omar and Jennyfer

Timeline

My dear Diana:

In Colombia, and in USA, been knowledgeable of a crime, and not denouncing it to the appropriate authorities, is a crime, so if you,as you confess, have that knowledge of such crimes, I suggest again to denounce them. Also you should denounce all people involve in such crimes, as Teresa de Jesus wrote" el que peca por la paga, o el que paga por pecar" (who is more guilty,he who sins for pay, or he who pays for sinning), the rule of law goes very far, I like this forum because it helps people's spirit, but also because is adjusted to law, which by USA federal law, is the ONLY reason that a CO can denied a visa. As long as we stay in that mode, we are going to help each other.

POE Miami 2009-02-25

SS card 2009-03-10

Timeline

My attorney said the real reason for the carta is to verify any U.S. entries that might have slipped through the cracks. I'm just concerned about the Aruba one in particular because some whack job CO might try to make her get a police certificate since there is no return date documented.

POE Miami 2009-02-25

SS card 2009-03-10

Timeline

It seems that only recently DAS is giving copies, that makes obvious the mistakes we are encountering, I wonder if DAS was perfect before, when is was secret(?) if not(this is more likely), the COs have not used this as a proof document. In my case I was(according to DAS), In Mexico, Quito, and Bogota, flying in 3 different airlines in the same day, also in franfurt, Bogota and Caracas, the same afternoon, and also I was born in January 1 1900( Iam 108 years old!!!!!!!!!!) there are 37 lines, and 16 errors, 41.7% wrong!!!!!!!!

POE Miami 2009-02-25

SS card 2009-03-10

Timeline
My dear Diana:

In Colombia, and in USA, been knowledgeable of a crime, and not denouncing it to the appropriate authorities, is a crime, so if you,as you confess, have that knowledge of such crimes, I suggest again to denounce them. Also you should denounce all people involve in such crimes, as Teresa de Jesus wrote" el que peca por la paga, o el que paga por pecar" (who is more guilty,he who sins for pay, or he who pays for sinning), the rule of law goes very far, I like this forum because it helps people's spirit, but also because is adjusted to law, which by USA federal law, is the ONLY reason that a CO can denied a visa. As long as we stay in that mode, we are going to help each other.

That legal principle applies when the commission of a crime is a singular, committed event, to which Diana has not made any [self]incriminating remarks to the effect. She is referring to the behavioral pattern that is unsurprising and quite literally observable in most sectors of Colombia's governmental institutions at one level or another. There's a one word descriptor: corruption. And that's fairly universal.

Let us stay within the bounds of this thread, please.

Timeline
My dear Diana:

That legal principle applies when the commission of a crime is a singular, committed event, to which Diana has not made any [self]incriminating remarks to the effect. She is referring to the behavioral pattern that is unsurprising and quite literally observable in most sectors of Colombia's governmental institutions at one level or another. There's a one word descriptor: corruption. And that's fairly universal.

Face it Hall 9000 , you just dont like PONCEÑOS, JAJAJAJAJAJAJA.

POE Miami 2009-02-25

SS card 2009-03-10

Timeline
My dear Diana:

Boo hoo.:P

Harsh... I love Ponce and ponceños... even though the best quenepas are from Coamo, the best chuletas can can are from Yauco, the ... :lol:

Well... I do like Don Q. THAT is the best.

Timeline
My dear Diana:

Boo hoo.:P

Harsh... I love Ponce and ponceños... even though the best quenepas are from Coamo, the best chuletas can can are from Yauco, the ... :lol:

Well... I do like Don Q. THAT is the best.

Oh chuletas can can!!!!!!!!!! yumi!!!!

POE Miami 2009-02-25

SS card 2009-03-10

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.