Peter Miami

Colombia Club

4,917 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
This is kinda off topic, but I have had problems with Avianca lately also. I used to go to Colombia with a return ticket and then change the return date in advance with no problems. This last time, however, when I tried to change the return date two weeks before the flight, they decided to charge me all these crazy fees. I ended up having to change the date twice, and they charged me an extra fee because they said my stay exceeded two months! What the hell is that? Isn't that why we paid all that money to get the visitor's pass extended? It's none of the airlines concern. Oh and the time before, when I was in the hospital and had to change the flight, they tried to charge me anyways because the doctor's note said I had to be out of work for two weeks, and they said if i flew before that two weeks was up then I would be charged!?! That's just BS! We ended up comming back the next day and talking to a different person and not paying a fee, but I am still disgruntled. By the way, if you ask to talk to a supervisor/manager you will be told flat out "no", we tried.

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent. Just the thought of Avianca makes me twitch, but what other choice do we really have?

Picked up the visa today. It is dated the day after the interview, so Domesa sits on things a while and just doesn't let you pick it up.

Anyhow, I purcased a SuperFlex ticket (which costs about $200 more than the econo) because their agreement states it permits changes and refunds without fees. When I tried to change the day of the flight, they attempted to charge a $50 change fee and then refused to refund the ticket when asked to. They grudgingly made the change, then when asked to change back to the original date, they want another $250. This is all fine because their terms and conditions (the contract they entered into with me when I made the purchase) does not list any of these fees and explicitly states that changes and refund are permitted without fees. But according to them, "This is how we've been doing it for 80 years."

They seem to be holding onto the common arrogant, money grubbing, customer exploitation model that I've found the norm in Colombia, without understanding that when they do business in the USA, they are subject to the laws of the USA, and as such, they will be served with a civil suit (probably small claims) within the next month for the additional fees. I've handled bigger companies in similar situations. Avianca will follow the same route and settle to avoid court when pressed with serious action.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

pladam,

Glad to hear you finally got your visa, I'll keep this in mind when planning my trip.

Yeah, after hearing this, and my own experiences, I think I am going to avoid doing business with Avianca again like the plague.

Good luck on your new life together.

9290.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
HELPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone know which are the necessary vaccinations for the US embassy in Colombia? Are all the ones that appear in this website necessary? http://bogota.usembassy.gov/root/pdfs/iv_appt_0404082.pdf

Does anyone know where my wife can get these? Does it have to be an immigration doctor, who puts them?

My wife lives in Bucaramanga. She went to Saludcoop today and they told her that the prices are diferent from one vaccination to another. And I understand that... but she told me that there are some of these that cost up to 300,000 pesos....

I really don't know... Our application still has not been approved, but I just want to go ahead and do as much as we can... if we don't have to wait to do it...

I appreciate any advise you can give...

Thank you very much for everything in advance.

She only needs these to get her visa:

TD (tétano)

MMR (sarampión, paperas & rubéola)

Varicela

She can either get them the day of her medical or get them ahead of time but it cannot be more than a week or those doctors will say they're not good and make her get them again at their office.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
HELPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone know which are the necessary vaccinations for the US embassy in Colombia? Are all the ones that appear in this website necessary? http://bogota.usembassy.gov/root/pdfs/iv_appt_0404082.pdf

Does anyone know where my wife can get these? Does it have to be an immigration doctor, who puts them?

My wife lives in Bucaramanga. She went to Saludcoop today and they told her that the prices are diferent from one vaccination to another. And I understand that... but she told me that there are some of these that cost up to 300,000 pesos....

I really don't know... Our application still has not been approved, but I just want to go ahead and do as much as we can... if we don't have to wait to do it...

I appreciate any advise you can give...

Thank you very much for everything in advance.

She only needs these to get her visa:

TD (tétano)

MMR (sarampión, paperas & rubéola)

Varicela

She can either get them the day of her medical or get them ahead of time but it cannot be more than a week or those doctors will say they're not good and make her get them again at their office.

Diana

HOLA DIANA,

I WANT TO REALLY THANK YOU FOR YOUR RESPONSE... YOUR EXPERIENCE HAS HELPED MANY PEOPLE.... AND NOT ONLY THAT IF NOT YOUR CONTINUOUS FAST RESPONSE TO OUR QUESTIONS.

THANK YOU ONE MORE TIME...

GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.

KELVIN

INTERVIEW

02-17-09 Received Interview Letter

03-16-09 Medical and Laboratory Exam

03-17-09 Interview Date

03-17-09 VISA APPROVED

03-24-09 VISA RECEIVED

03-26-09 ARRIVED TO (POE) ORLANDO, FLORIDA

04-10-09 Received Welcome Letter (USCIS)

04-16-09 Received Green Card

05-12-09 Received SSN

05-12-09 Applied for License

05-20-09 Received License

I-751

12-23-2010 Sent I-751 Package to Vermont

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Guys, I am getting ready to send my packet 3. Do you have any idea on what is working better these days, email or fax?

About a month ago I sent them an email asking about my mixed-up case, and the Bogota consulate never replied. I am therefore a bit skeptical about email... although I understand my case was very strange and I remember some people have had good experiences with email. So, if you were in my place... would you go with fax or email?

Thanks,

Juan Carlos.

I-130, I-129F

June, 07: Sent I-130, CSC

July, 07: Sent I-129F, CSC

March,08: I-130, I-129F Approved

Sept,08: Interview in Bogota, Approved

AOS

Oct, 08: AOS and EAD docs. mailed to Chicago

Oct, 08: NOA1

Nov, 08: Biometrics

Mar, 09: AOS Interview. Approved

Apr, 09: GC Received.

Timeline
HOLA DIANA,

I WANT TO REALLY THANK YOU FOR YOUR RESPONSE... YOUR EXPERIENCE HAS HELPED MANY PEOPLE.... AND NOT ONLY THAT IF NOT YOUR CONTINUOUS FAST RESPONSE TO OUR QUESTIONS.

THANK YOU ONE MORE TIME...

GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.

KELVIN

You're very welcome Kelvin. That's what we're all here for. ;)

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Timeline
Guys, I am getting ready to send my packet 3. Do you have any idea on what is working better these days, email or fax?

About a month ago I sent them an email asking about my mixed-up case, and the Bogota consulate never replied. I am therefore a bit skeptical about email... although I understand my case was very strange and I remember some people have had good experiences with email. So, if you were in my place... would you go with fax or email?

Thanks,

Juan Carlos.

I've only read of on VJ member in the Colombian K1 thread say that she e-mailed them packet 3 and they replied within a couple of days. Everybody else has done it old school, meaning fax and mail (Servientrega). The reason most people mail it after they fax it is because you will never know for sure if they received your fax or not, chances are they did but who knows who's at the other end of that phone line. If you only mail it, then it'll take longer.

So if I were you, I'd stick to the old school methong and fax it first and then mail it via Servientrega after that.

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Timeline

Juan Carlos, We went the fax and ServiEntrega route a few months ago and everything went well. Good luck getting an interview soon. You are probably looking at October sometime.

Married: June 11, 2007 - San Andres Isla, Colombia

I-130

7/27/2007 - Sent I-130 Package to TSC*

7/30/2007 - Received by TSC

8/28/2007 - NOA-1 date - CSC

3/19/2008 - NOA2 date -CSC

I-130 held by USCIS for future AOS

I-129F

7/27/2007 - Sent I-129F Package to TSC*

7/30/2007 - Received by TSC

8/30/2007 - NOA-1 - Fee waived

3/19/2008 - NOA2

4/3/2008 - Received by NVC

4/10/2008 - Received by embassy

4/11/2008 - Faxed packet 3 forms to embassy

4/30/2008 - Appointment date assigned

6/19/2008 - Appointment at Bogota Embassy - APPROVED!!!

No touches except when I called CSC directly to inquire.

8/28/2008 - POE Houston

Still being lazy and waiting to do AOS.

*I-130 and I-129F sent together to TSC per USCIS instructions.

Timeline
This is kinda off topic, but I have had problems with Avianca lately also. I used to go to Colombia with a return ticket and then change the return date in advance with no problems. This last time, however, when I tried to change the return date two weeks before the flight, they decided to charge me all these crazy fees. I ended up having to change the date twice, and they charged me an extra fee because they said my stay exceeded two months! What the hell is that? Isn't that why we paid all that money to get the visitor's pass extended? It's none of the airlines concern. Oh and the time before, when I was in the hospital and had to change the flight, they tried to charge me anyways because the doctor's note said I had to be out of work for two weeks, and they said if i flew before that two weeks was up then I would be charged!?! That's just BS! We ended up comming back the next day and talking to a different person and not paying a fee, but I am still disgruntled. By the way, if you ask to talk to a supervisor/manager you will be told flat out "no", we tried.

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent. Just the thought of Avianca makes me twitch, but what other choice do we really have?

Picked up the visa today. It is dated the day after the interview, so Domesa sits on things a while and just doesn't let you pick it up.

Anyhow, I purcased a SuperFlex ticket (which costs about $200 more than the econo) because their agreement states it permits changes and refunds without fees. When I tried to change the day of the flight, they attempted to charge a $50 change fee and then refused to refund the ticket when asked to. They grudgingly made the change, then when asked to change back to the original date, they want another $250. This is all fine because their terms and conditions (the contract they entered into with me when I made the purchase) does not list any of these fees and explicitly states that changes and refund are permitted without fees. But according to them, "This is how we've been doing it for 80 years."

They seem to be holding onto the common arrogant, money grubbing, customer exploitation model that I've found the norm in Colombia, without understanding that when they do business in the USA, they are subject to the laws of the USA, and as such, they will be served with a civil suit (probably small claims) within the next month for the additional fees. I've handled bigger companies in similar situations. Avianca will follow the same route and settle to avoid court when pressed with serious action.

Hey that has happen to me i had to pay $ 224 extra I just had a interview in bogota tuesday interview no problem no proof of relationship ask just couple photo and a quick few basic questions 3 min i truly believe before you are called for your interview the consul know right than and there if your approve or not ! visa in hand 4 days after approvel :thumbs: i recommend that if you file for a k3 visa its best to be their with your spouse if you want that visa in hand ,many was turn away without their spouse best wishes colombia club the best attorney in the world from laspence/dina

Hey that has happen to me i had to pay $ 224 extra I just had a interview in bogota tuesday interview no problem no proof of relationship ask just couple photo and a quick few basic questions 3 min i truly believe before you are called for your interview the consul know right than and there if your approve or not ! visa in hand 4 days after approvel :thumbs: i recommend that if you file for a k3 visa its best to be their with your spouse if you want that visa in hand ,many was turn away without their spouse best wishes colombia club the best attorney in the world from laspence/dina

hola my colombia club senor ,senora call the uscis today 03-10 2008 ,good news my noa 2 was sent out and on its way to my house it has been a stressful ordeal, aug 20 2007 k3 flyer on its way, best wishes for thoses who are still waitting from laspence/dina minor of colombia

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Thanks,

Juan Carlos.

Juan Carlos,

When we filed, we faxed and mailed (Servientrega). It happened to be on a Wednesday which is the only day that you can call and speak to the visa section of the embassy. The fax was done at 1:00...I called at 2:00 and it was already received and input into their system. It certainly won't hurt for you to do all three fax, mail and e-mail...it increases your chances that they will receive at least one of em' :thumbs:

Very BEST of luck !!!!!

Scott

K1 TIMELINE

04/31/07-Sent out I-129F

05/03/07-NOA1"priority date"

08/20/07-Received hard copy of NOA1...HOORAAY!

09/21/07-NOA2 "APPROVED"

09/26/07-NOA2 Hardcopy

10/31/07-NVC mailed I-129F to Bogota via DHL

11/09/07-Called Dept. of State and interview is set for 12/12/07

12/07/07-Yenifer and I arrive in Bogota

12/12/07-VISA "APPROVED"

12/19/07-Point Of Entry: Miami

01/23/08-Married

AOS, EAD + AP TIMELINE

02/25/08-Mailed AOS, EAD + AP

02/26/08-Packet arrived in Chicago

03/06/08-NOAs received

03/25/08-Biometrics appointment

05/05/08-EAD received

05/09/08-AP received

06/30/08-Card production ordered

07/15/08-Received card today!!!

LIFT CONDITIONS (I-751)

03/15/10-File to lift conditions

03/19/10-NOA1 I-751 receipt notice

03/26/10-NOA2 biometrics scheduled

04/22/10-Biometrics appointment

06/14/10-Card production ordered

Timeline

I know we still have a way to go, but I want to get everyting in order early...

So, I was wondering if it would be a good or bad idea to take our wedding rings to our interview (k-1). We got them a few months ago and they are inscribed with each other's names. We have been wearing them to stay close to each other, but we still have the box they came in. I was thinking to get them polished up to look brand new, and put them back in the box, and I will put my engagement ring back on. Here's the only thing that worries me, his ring is inscribed with what my name will be after I take his last name. Will they take this as a sign that we are already married?

I was just thinking this could be used as proof that we are planning on getting married.

Any thoughts? Feelings? Just plain blabber?

Ok, I think I am starting to loose it. Tooo mucho stressss. :wacko:

9290.gif

Timeline

Visa approved and recieved!

Unfortunately I wasn’t able to go to the interview (could not get away from work) but overall it went well, minus an encounter with the so called “witch” of the embassy. She gave my wife a hard time about her birth certificate, she was very rude and said it was fake, then put a slash on it with a marker, my wife explained to her that there was nothing wrong with it, but to no avail. My wife continued on with the interview process and was interviewed by a man, he asked her how we met and asked her for the profession of a friend of my brother and mine, who lives in cartagena, and who we visited with last year she didn’t remember what he did, he’s a retired teacher. Anyway the embassy off. approved her visa in spite of her not knowing that fact (she gave him a great amount of detail of our visit to cartagena and I think that won him over, she wasn’t asked to show any evidence of our relationship) while my wife was waiting, after the interview, she was called back up and questioned about her birth certificate, apparently the notaria filled it out differently, so that it looked fake somehow. She talked again to the same embassy official and he asked to see her cedula…..which was lost on our honeymoon in Santa Marta, she had her temporary cedulla (apparently not the same) , the real one can take months to receive, (we are also still waiting for packets3&4-both no shows-why not just use servientrega and charge us extra?) she also had a certified copy of her cedulla that we made before we got married, just in case we needed it for either of our 2 weddings (civil & church), that was enough to satisfy the embassy off.. The visa was granted that day despite the witch, and she received it in hand friday. she will be here before the labor day weekend.

Timeline

Sorry, I have another question...

My fiance is freaking out about the medical exam. I told him to make sure he is not around any one smoking pot, because they can do a drug test if they want to. He dosen't smoke, but the problem is that he goes out a lot in Bogota, and it is kinda hard not to be around it at times. I told him I think he will be ok as long as he is not in an enclosed room with it, but I'm not sure about clubs.

I was wondering if anyone that already had their medical exam in Bogota had a drug test? And do you think he will pop positive for being in clubs (i.e. gothica) around it?

Thanks!

9290.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
Nice. That makes it easier for everybody, the beneficiary and the embassy.

Thanks Mike!

Diana

I just wanted to give everyone an update, the new way of sending in Packet-3, thru email actually works. I sent it in the forms on Monday evening and I just received this confirmation email today (Thursday) :

Mr.

Thanks for your E-mail. the forms were received. you and your spouse will receive the appointment package aprox. 4 to 8 weeks.

Sincerely,

IV Bogota

So, really it was a 2-day turnaround time, If you consider, they didn’t look at my email until Tuesday morning.

Not bad, it works!

The best of luck to all the recent approvals!

Mike, just a quick question about the emailing of Packet 3 forms. In the signature line was a typed signature acceptable, or did you have to sign with pen and e-fax to the consulate. Thanks.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.