Peter Miami

Colombia Club

4,917 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Oh yeah, I never get anything on paper from my bank so everything is online, and that's what I would do. Online statements are almost identical copies of paper statements so they're legit.

Don't forget also that copies of tax returns are the primary piece of financial evidence the embassy will take a look at, so make sure you bring them with you.

Diana

Edited by Mononoke28

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Oh yeah, I never get anything on paper from my bank so everything is online, and that's what I would do. Online statements are almost identical copies of paper statements so they're legit.

Don't forget also that copies of tax returns are the primary piece of financial evidence the embassy will take a look at, so make sure you bring them with you.

Diana

Yeah i'm sending her my tax returns for the last two years along with the I134 as well as the last two years for my sister (i do not have a third year because i didnt work then and my sister does not have the one for 2005.) Do you guys think that might be a problem? Another question, do I or my sister need to sign anything in the back of the tax returns so that my wife can show it at the embassy? Thanks

Timeline

Nope, you're good. In fact, since you have the tax returns you don't really need the bank statements but like we've always said, it's best to be overprepared than not be prepared at all.

Nothing to sign on the copies of the tax returns, just make sure you also have copies of the W2s that go with the tax returns or they won't accept them. And last but not least, make sure the I-134s are notarized.

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Timeline

Thanks a lot Diana. Quick question, what do you guys use to send paperwork to Colombia? The thing is that my sister will be back from Puerto Rico next week thursday and we are thinking of sending everything to Cali that Friday. Do you think it ill get there on time since my wife will be leaving to Bogota around the 1st of November?

Timeline
Yes I do as well as my sister who is the Co-sponsor. So we can just print the statements for the last year and show them with the letter that we get from the bank branch right?

Yeah you'll both be OK. Remember, the real important affidavit of support is the 864 for AOS.

Nope, you're good. In fact, since you have the tax returns you don't really need the bank statements but like we've always said, it's best to be overprepared than not be prepared at all.

Nothing to sign on the copies of the tax returns, just make sure you also have copies of the W2s that go with the tax returns or they won't accept them. And last but not least, make sure the I-134s are notarized.

Diana

Ditto from here.

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

Timeline
Thanks a lot Diana. Quick question, what do you guys use to send paperwork to Colombia? The thing is that my sister will be back from Puerto Rico next week thursday and we are thinking of sending everything to Cali that Friday. Do you think it ill get there on time since my wife will be leaving to Bogota around the 1st of November?

That might be tough... even the most reliable courier service can fail anything less than one week (and the cost might be very high).

Do you have anyone going to Colombia around this time? Might be better. Its usually what we do when sending things there.

As for your sister getting back from PR... tell her to bring some Panapén cut up in large chunks and to make some tostones at home. Delicias!

Timeline

Dude, you and your food. :rolleyes:

Harold,

Have you tried FedEx?

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Timeline

Hey guys i just did an estimate online and it costs around 75 bucks for it to get there on Oct 28th if I send it on Oct 24th. That is pretty expensive but anything for my wife to finally come here =)

Timeline

Hey guys

Do you guys think that if the spouse (me) is at the interview it makes a big difference? I just don't want her to be put on any kind of administrative hold or anything like that because i would die. I'm considering flying straight to Bogota. Many have said that even the interviewer mentioned that having the spouse at the interview helped a lot. What do you guys recommend? thank you for the help.

Sincerely,

Harold

Timeline

It can only help you.

Check airfare with Spirit. They fly to Bogotá out of Ft Lauderdale so you might get lucky with a decent price.

Timeline

I just looked at Avianca straight from NY to Bogota and it comes out to 440, which is not bad compared to the prices i have paid to go to Colombia during the last three years, with the cheapest one being 650.

Timeline

Harold,

If you can make it to the Embassy to accompany your wife/fiancee that would be beneficial for the following reasons:

1) It shows the Embassy that you are serious about the VISA.

2) The time spent at the Embassy can be stressful. For you to be with your wife/fiancee would probably mean a lot to her.

3) There were a few people that did not come with their Petitoner that were approved. But for the people that were approved (without their petitoner) it was no cakewalk. The facial expressions of those people that were interviewed looked like they were at an interrogation.

4) Many people were not approved or told to come back with their spouse or fiance.

5) Of those people that came with the petitioner the interviews seemed relatively easy. And for those couples that seemed questionable having the petitioner there made the difference.

6) The interview is a very important stage in the VISA.

7) Why not be there to enjoy receiving the approval of your VISA together.

8) Better to do it right the first time.

If you can't make it there is still the ability to get approved though. It just makes it easier when you attend.

Also, keep in mind the following:

1) have your paperwork in order

2) make sure to have a copy of the DS-230

3) If you come as a couple, you should look like a couple since the people that are doing the interviews are watching the people that are waiting.

4) Make sure to have the original documents you submitted (follow Visa Journey's Guide) including your (petitioner's) birth certificate.

Timeline

Yep 440 plus tax and everything. I already got it and will be heading to Bogota on November 4th and we will have the interview on November 6th. Plus it is also good that i can take all the paperwork and not have to rely on some service to hopefully deliver the paperwork on time.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

$440. That is a great deal. Since you are definitely going down, then my comments are more generally directed at anyone who might be considering attending the interview.

If you can make the time to go down for the interview, it is certainly worth the effort. As others have mentioned, it is a big positive for the petitioner spouse to be there and can often be the difference between a visa being approved or being asked to come back. Also, as E-man mentioned, the interview day can be quite nerve wracking even when everything goes well and it can be nice to go through this as a couple. I know it was a lot easier on my wife for me to be there. Also, it will be that much sweeter to be together when you get your approval.

Having said that, it is certainly not a requirement and many visas are approved without the spouse being there. In cases where the spouse is unable to be there due to time or financial considerations, the best alternative is to have all paperwork and evidence in perfect order. It is all the more important in those situations to have plentiful evidence to present.

In either case, good luck to you both.

Edited by ColombianoGringo

Married: June 11, 2007 - San Andres Isla, Colombia

I-130

7/27/2007 - Sent I-130 Package to TSC*

7/30/2007 - Received by TSC

8/28/2007 - NOA-1 date - CSC

3/19/2008 - NOA2 date -CSC

I-130 held by USCIS for future AOS

I-129F

7/27/2007 - Sent I-129F Package to TSC*

7/30/2007 - Received by TSC

8/30/2007 - NOA-1 - Fee waived

3/19/2008 - NOA2

4/3/2008 - Received by NVC

4/10/2008 - Received by embassy

4/11/2008 - Faxed packet 3 forms to embassy

4/30/2008 - Appointment date assigned

6/19/2008 - Appointment at Bogota Embassy - APPROVED!!!

No touches except when I called CSC directly to inquire.

8/28/2008 - POE Houston

Still being lazy and waiting to do AOS.

*I-130 and I-129F sent together to TSC per USCIS instructions.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.