4,917 posts in this topic

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hey guys,

So we just got the interview date - its November 6. The mail was actually faster this time than the update on the website. So i got a few questions with the paperwork that they require. If she has not been in any judicial trouble, do we need to show anything for the judicial and prison records part of the paperwork? we already got the certificado judicial. Another question is for the immigration records. My wife and her parents applied for a visa in 1999 and they were denied - she was only 10 at the time so do we need to show anything for the immigration records part of the paperwork? She does not have anything close to what they specify like documents for asylum, changed status or anything like that.

Furthermore, i am not going to be able to go to the interview with her because even though i am in Colombia right now, i have to travel back this Wednesday to go on some medical school interviews. So my question is: As far as the I134 affidavit of support goes, i only made about 2000 and 3000 the past two years because as i said i am a student. I will be using my sister as a co-sponsor so do i have to specify anything that she is a cosponsor or just fill out two I134s and provide the corresponding evidence? Finally, The I134 has to be original so i have to send it to her from the US because my sister is over there and i need to get the thing notarized over there, so do you guys know of a good service to send it so it does not take long because since her interview will be on the 6th of November i need to get there fill it out notarize and send it ASAP.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

We got our Visa! I want to thank Mononke and ColombianoGringo for the help along the way. During the interview process (only a few questions) at the embassy the CO told us that it really helped that I (Petitoner) attended the interview. I saw many people denied or their request for VISA put on hold because they did not bring their significant other. Once again thanks for the help!

Timeline
Hey guys,

So we just got the interview date - its November 6. The mail was actually faster this time than the update on the website. So i got a few questions with the paperwork that they require. If she has not been in any judicial trouble, do we need to show anything for the judicial and prison records part of the paperwork? we already got the certificado judicial. Another question is for the immigration records. My wife and her parents applied for a visa in 1999 and they were denied - she was only 10 at the time so do we need to show anything for the immigration records part of the paperwork? She does not have anything close to what they specify like documents for asylum, changed status or anything like that.

Furthermore, i am not going to be able to go to the interview with her because even though i am in Colombia right now, i have to travel back this Wednesday to go on some medical school interviews. So my question is: As far as the I134 affidavit of support goes, i only made about 2000 and 3000 the past two years because as i said i am a student. I will be using my sister as a co-sponsor so do i have to specify anything that she is a cosponsor or just fill out two I134s and provide the corresponding evidence? Finally, The I134 has to be original so i have to send it to her from the US because my sister is over there and i need to get the thing notarized over there, so do you guys know of a good service to send it so it does not take long because since her interview will be on the 6th of November i need to get there fill it out notarize and send it ASAP.

Her certificado judicial will show her record, so it should be empty without any notations since she hasn't been in any trouble, she still needs to get her Carta Migratoria from the DAS as well even if she hasn't left the country. As far as fo the immigration records, the US Embassy should have records of this and she needs to be honest about it.

Yes, the 2 notarized I-134s should be enough for the sponsoring part of the process. The only services I've used is Express Mail and it usually takes about a week to get to Colombia but wait for other members to see what they've used.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Timeline
We got our Visa! I want to thank Mononke and ColombianoGringo for the help along the way. During the interview process (only a few questions) at the embassy the CO told us that it really helped that I (Petitoner) attended the interview. I saw many people denied or their request for VISA put on hold because they did not bring their significant other. Once again thanks for the help!

Nice! Congratulations E-Man!!!!

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Timeline

Hey guys,

another quick question. I'm filling out the I134 for the co-sponsor (sister) for my wife and where it says Name of Spouse accompanying or following to join person, do i put myself as the spouse? Im confused there because i am not actually accompanying her from Colombia or anything like that since i am already a citizen, but nevertheless it asks for the spouse name. Thanks a lot.

Sincerely,

Harold

Timeline

Hey Harold. I think that would be your wife's name if I remember the 134 correctly. As long as you make it clear that you are (or your sister is on her 134) the petitioner and your wife is the sponsored soul... then all will be OK.

Since its a K-3, then if it asks for her spouse's name, then name yourself. Seems tricky, but its the truth.

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

Timeline
Hey Harold. I think that would be your wife's name if I remember the 134 correctly. As long as you make it clear that you are (or your sister is on her 134) the petitioner and your wife is the sponsored soul... then all will be OK.

Since its a K-3, then if it asks for her spouse's name, then name yourself. Seems tricky, but its the truth.

Yeah thats what i was thinking. On the I134 that i put for myself as the sponsor it also asks for the spouses name of the person for whom the affidavit is being filed, so i also put myself there even though i will not be accompanying her in the trip. It seems obvious that they would understand what i am trying to say. Thanks for the help.

Sincerely,

Harold

Timeline

Yeah thats what i was thinking. On the I134 that i put for myself as the sponsor it also asks for the spouses name of the person for whom the affidavit is being filed, so i also put myself there even though i will not be accompanying her in the trip. It seems obvious that they would understand what i am trying to say. Thanks for the help.

Sincerely,

Harold

Now that I remember it I think that's what I did too. No problems there. TO be honest I doubt that 134 is read much anyway since you'll have the 864 to do for AOS.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Congratulations E-Man! I'm glad to hear that everything went well.

Married: June 11, 2007 - San Andres Isla, Colombia

I-130

7/27/2007 - Sent I-130 Package to TSC*

7/30/2007 - Received by TSC

8/28/2007 - NOA-1 date - CSC

3/19/2008 - NOA2 date -CSC

I-130 held by USCIS for future AOS

I-129F

7/27/2007 - Sent I-129F Package to TSC*

7/30/2007 - Received by TSC

8/30/2007 - NOA-1 - Fee waived

3/19/2008 - NOA2

4/3/2008 - Received by NVC

4/10/2008 - Received by embassy

4/11/2008 - Faxed packet 3 forms to embassy

4/30/2008 - Appointment date assigned

6/19/2008 - Appointment at Bogota Embassy - APPROVED!!!

No touches except when I called CSC directly to inquire.

8/28/2008 - POE Houston

Still being lazy and waiting to do AOS.

*I-130 and I-129F sent together to TSC per USCIS instructions.

Timeline

Hey guys,

I'm getting ready the documents that they ask for in the I134 but seem to have run into a problem. I asked Washington Mutual (My Bank) for the statement saying the date my account was opened, deposits made over the past year and the present balance and they tell me that the statement will take around 7-10 business days to be delivered to my address. This is troublesome because i have to send both I134s ( mine and the cosponsor's) to my wife by next week so that she can receive it by the 31st of October because she leaves to Bogota that weekend to attend all the different matters and the interview on Nov 6th. I was thinking if i can just use the statements going back a year to show the amount of money deposited during the past year and get some sort of simpler letter from someone at a branch to cover what they need, Do you guys think that would be enough? Thanks for the help.

Sincerely,

Harold

Timeline

Another quick question.

For those of you who took the evidence to the embassy for the I134, did you guys take bank statements to show the deposits made over a year or did you guys get a specific statement (letter) stating the three things that they ask for in the I134? The thing is that i can get a letter from the bank really quick from one day to the next specifying the date the account was opened and the present balance, however the deposits made over a year are a pain in the butt. Do you guys think that worse comes to worse the bank statements for the last year will suffice for that part of the evidence? Thank you for the time and the help.

Sincerely,

Harold

Timeline
Hey guys,

I'm getting ready the documents that they ask for in the I134 but seem to have run into a problem. I asked Washington Mutual (My Bank) for the statement saying the date my account was opened, deposits made over the past year and the present balance and they tell me that the statement will take around 7-10 business days to be delivered to my address. This is troublesome because i have to send both I134s ( mine and the cosponsor's) to my wife by next week so that she can receive it by the 31st of October because she leaves to Bogota that weekend to attend all the different matters and the interview on Nov 6th. I was thinking if i can just use the statements going back a year to show the amount of money deposited during the past year and get some sort of simpler letter from someone at a branch to cover what they need, Do you guys think that would be enough? Thanks for the help.

Sincerely,

Harold

Harold-

I also banked with WaMu at that time. I only included statements that showed my expenses while in Colombia and/or showing any other money wires to Colombia during the time of our courtship. This was originally intended to be part of the evidence of the relationship... but it served the 134 as well. They will be looking for continuous sources of income.

Another quick question.

For those of you who took the evidence to the embassy for the I134, did you guys take bank statements to show the deposits made over a year or did you guys get a specific statement (letter) stating the three things that they ask for in the I134? The thing is that i can get a letter from the bank really quick from one day to the next specifying the date the account was opened and the present balance, however the deposits made over a year are a pain in the butt. Do you guys think that worse comes to worse the bank statements for the last year will suffice for that part of the evidence? Thank you for the time and the help.

Sincerely,

Harold

If its on Bank Letterhead, it counts as a statement. ;)

(and its less paper weight)

Timeline

Do you do online banking? That way you can just print out your statements from their web site.

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Timeline

Yes I do as well as my sister who is the Co-sponsor. So we can just print the statements for the last year and show them with the letter that we get from the bank branch right?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.