Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Move back to US for domicile?

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi VJ-ers,

We're debating about whether I (the USC) should just go back to the US before my husband's (Canadian Citizen) interview because we're not sure we have enough proofs of domicile. The main proof I see most people post here is a job offer, but if I don't intend to work after moving back to the US, then there's no job offer to show. I'm not going to school nor do I have school-aged kids.

So here's what I have that could work for domicile so far:

-US driver's license

-US voter registration card

-US bank account

-US investment accounts

-we can draw up a lease agreement with my family (is this considered just as good as an official lease with an apartment company or buying a house?)

Is there anything I'm missing that I could possibly use as proof?

I could also close my Canadian bank account, but I don't have any other way to show cutting off ties with Canada.

Given the limited proofs we have, would it suffice as domicile to move back to the US prior to my husband's interview? Or would they look at it as simply a visit to my family? If I go this route, how much before my husband's interview would I need to move back to ensure proper domicile intention/status?

Thanks very much in advance!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada

Hi and welcome,

No, your proof actually probably won't be enough. Your proof kind of doesn't really prove anything. You can't prove that you are domiciled in the U.S. because you are not. Therefore you have to prove that you are reestablishing domicile.

Now, the items you do have, it can't hurt to bring them with you to the interview, as well as other proof.

Closing your Canadian bank account is not necessary. There are other ways of showing you are moving.

You will want to read this thread in the Canada forum:


No one can say how long before the interview the U.S. citizen would have to move back, if you decide to go that route - it just needs to be long enough to get a few things established. There is discussion about that in the thread I linked to, a few have gone ahead and done that.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi and thank you Trailmix :)

Ya, that is exactly what I'm worried about - I know my "proof" doesn't prove anything because these are things I've had the whole time I've been living in Canada (several years) so of course it doesn't show that I'm moving back to the US. The problem is, I can't really think of what else I can use since there won't be any job offer or school registration for me or my kids. The only thing I can think of is to provide a lease agreement with my family.

What I was hoping is that going back to the US before my husband would be enough, but it sounds like it won't be sufficient for him to say at the interview, ya my wife already moved back, without having anything to show that I have done so, is that right? Ie, there needs to be some proof of me moving back beyond a one way plane ticket? Do you have any other ideas on what else I can go back and establish given that the major ones (work and school) won't apply in our case?

I have read through the pinned domicile thread a few times actually, but I will re-read it and focus on those who have gone the route of actually moving back to the US.

Any and all suggestions are welcome! Thanks!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...