RUSSandRACHEL

Your Social Security Office Experiences

8 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I will be moving on 31st May on my K1 and am starting to prepare everything for AOS. I'd really like to get my SSN as soon as possible so have looked through the guides and am going to wait two weeks then visit my local office with the RM 00203.500, just in case they try and give me a hard time.

I just wondered how people found it...

How long did you leave it before visiting the SS office?

How long did it take to recieve the SSN in the mail afterwards?

Did they try and refuse you (as I've heard many of them do)?

Did you have to give them the RM 00203.500 print out?

Please post your experiences here.

Many thanks!!!! :D

You don't need a SS number to file your adjustment.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Yes, I know. I didn't say I did. I just want to have it for other uses.

I agree it's best to get it right away.

I only made the comment because of the wording of your post.

IMO, it's hard to say how your experience will go. There doesn't seem to be any relevance to the locale or size of the office you use. It's all a matter of training. We used an office in a fairly small city and had no difficulty.

Your plan to take the relevant code with you is a good one, in case you do have a problem.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I will be moving on 31st May on my K1 and am starting to prepare everything for AOS. I'd really like to get my SSN as soon as possible so have looked through the guides and am going to wait two weeks then visit my local office with the RM 00203.500, just in case they try and give me a hard time.

Please post your experiences here.

Many thanks!!!! :D

I visited the SSA office 1.5-2 weeks after I got here. Best to wait the full two weeks to give them time to get the entry database synced up with the SSA computers. If they try to process you and your entry record doesn't show up it takes them several weeks to check manually. If they say you aren't showing up, tell them to cancel the whole thing and you'll come back in a few days. You don't want them to press ahead with the manual confirmation - it'll take much longer.

The card showed up within 2 weeks.

I must've gotten one of the well trained clerks, because I had no problems. My Canadian passport with K-1 visa and I-94 was enough. I brought my birth certificate as well but they didn't need it. I checked "Alien qualified to work" on the SS-5 form, per the definitions in that RM document, and they processed it with no complaints at all.

I did print out and bring the code (an an earlier emergency letter that is also on this site) but I didn't need to bring them out. No resistance at all.

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

We waited a few weeks after POE. My mom took my fiancee to the SS office and had absolutley no problems. Were in and out in 30 minutes and she received the SS card in about 10 days.

It all depends on whether you get someone who knows there job, some of these people are complete bone heads, some are very knowledgable and efficient.

Unfortunatly its the luck of the draw in most cases!

Just don't let them tell you what you can and cannot do - be prepared for the worst, hope for the best.

6/15/2009 Filed I-129F

12/15/2009 Interview (HCMC, VN)

1/16/2010 POE Detroit

3/31/2010 MARRIED !!!

11/20/2010 Filed I-485

12/23/2010 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

12/31/2010 I-485 Transfered to CSC

2/4/2011 Green Card received

1/7/2013 Mailed I-751 package

1/14/2013 I-751 NOA (VSC)

2/07/2013 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

Filed: Timeline

Hi everyone,

10 calendar days is long enough.

If you are luck and they can verify your status while you are in the office, you should have your SSN card within a couple weeks and you can go back to the office the next day to get the number if you need it before the card arrives in the mail.

If they can't verify your status while you are in the office, you could be waiting weeks and in some cases months.

Not sure who in the foreign K-1 person, but normally only women trying to change their name after getting married or a male that opens his big mouth about being married run into a problem.

Can't hurt to have a copy with you. If you do run into a problem with the service rep waiting on you ask for a manager.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.