boohbah

Will we be asked about my i-485 sponsorship to my hubby when we go to remove conditions?

8 posts in this topic

We moved last in June '09 because my hubby had a great job offer in a town 2 hours away from my home town. I had to quit my own job since we didn't like the idea of living separate for multiple reasons. I hadn't been able to find a job up here since we moved. I am now a stay-at-home mom to our daughter.

He's had his greencard since March '09. His salary is pretty healthy, but I was wondering if immigration will question us about my sponsorship to him. Since it became law binding the moment I signed the papers, I didn't know if they would bug us about me not having a job now? Because I figured either way, if he became jobless then we would worry about it. We're not due to do the i-751 forms until January, but I thought I get a heads up now. :dance:

I haven't kept up with this community since last year, so I am rather rusty about the things I read over & over while dealing with the K1 & AOS papers...it's all a vague memory...

Edited by boohbah

We moved last in June '09 because my hubby had a great job offer in a town 2 hours away from my home town. I had to quit my own job since we didn't like the idea of living separate for multiple reasons. I hadn't been able to find a job up here since we moved. I am now a stay-at-home mom to our daughter.

He's had his greencard since March '09. His salary is pretty healthy, but I was wondering if immigration will question us about my sponsorship to him. Since it became law binding the moment I signed the papers, I didn't know if they would bug us about me not having a job now? Because I figured either way, if he became jobless then we would worry about it. We're not due to do the i-751 forms until January, but I thought I get a heads up now. :dance:

I haven't kept up with this community since last year, so I am rather rusty about the things I read over & over while dealing with the K1 & AOS papers...it's all a vague memory...

There is no requirement of any proof of income. That is not an issue during ROC

Naturalization

Son's N-400 Timeline

08/14/2020 - Sent N-400 and I-912 waiver to TX lockbox

09/18/2020 - NOA via text

06/05/2021 - Notification of biometrics scheduled

09/17/2021 - Interview - decision cannot be made

11/24/2021 - Denial letter, 30 days to appeal

12/24/2021 - Appeal sent back with I-912 waiver

12/24/2021 - Motion to terminate deportation proceedings from 2013 filed

ROC requires you provide evidence of a healthy marriage so the income is not a factor. Just make sure you collect enough evidence and show that you are both living together and that should be enough to get him a 10 year GC.

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Filed: Other Timeline

The requirements for AOS, ROC, and naturalization are quite different. For example, at the AOS stage, you are petitioning for your hubby, at the ROC stage you both are petitioning together, and at the naturalization stage only he is petitioning.

At the AOS stage, income matters, at the ROC stage only the fact that you are still married and living together matters (hence no interview), and at the naturalization stage only the duration of residency matters (a bit simplified).

You both could be sleeping in a cardboard box, not having a penny to your name, and it would be okay, as long as you attach a mailbox to it.

Edited by Just Bob

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

You both could be sleeping in a cardboard box, not having a penny to your name, and it would be okay, as long as you attach a mailbox to it.

Can the mailbox be made out of cardboard as well??? ;)

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Can the mailbox be made out of cardboard as well??? ;)

Mailbox can be cardboard or metal it doesn't matter but it should have a valid US Postal address.

Joining the fun :rofl:

rahul

Timeline
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Naturalization N400...

01/16/2015 --- Package Sent

02/18/2015 --- Fingerprints done

=====================================================

Thanks for much for the replies, everyone! It's nice to know the ROC is just about the relationship bit. I knew it was related to checking in on our relationship, but thought other things would tag along with it. This doesn't sound as stressful as the previous forms...yay!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.