Pacmtrx7

Anyone Receive an RFE for Incorrect Number Format On DS-230?

2 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

On the DS-230 form where you need to fill in all dates for residences and employment, has anyone put the format like this 02/2005 instead of 02-2005 and it went through without any problems?

According to the NVC operator they said the number format was incorrect on our DS-230 Part 1, but when they sent out the checklist letter it didn't mention anything about that. The RFE just mentioned there was a gap in dates, which we fixed and sent back without any changes to the number format because quite honestly I didn't know what they were talking about at the time and I didn't see anything about it on the checklist letter.

I called again about 2 weeks later and a 2nd RFE was generated. This time it was for a J1 visa issue, but the operator again said there were also some notes on the number format. I asked him, what exactly does that mean and he couldn't give me a straight answer. I received the 2nd checklist letter and once again it didn't mention anything about a problem with the number format, just the J1 visa issue!

According to some here, the problem lies with the slashes instead of dashes. The fact they would generate an RFE for this is beyond insane IMHO. I sent the J1 visa info they requested 2 days ago and now I'm just waiting to see what happens next.

I'm curious if anyone has received an RFE for this and if so, did it state on the checklist letter specifically that there is a number format problem or were you just told this by the NVC operator?

Is it common for the NVC operator to tell you one thing and then the checklist letter has something else or something missing on it? Which one should you go by?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Last week I was reading about this kind of RFE somewhere in VJ. But now I don't remember where it was.......It was the same issue. That person has also got RFE for not having dates in numerical order. According to his posts ... he said that he was using slashed instead of dashes.......so yep that looks like a problem to NVC. By the way in DS-230 form every place where they ask for dates.....they have given such example of how they want your to fill dates. For ex. mm-yyyy or mm-dd-yyyy .. It's obviously not a big issue for us, but as they are making a big deal out of it. We have to consider it and make it right.

Atlanta, GA (MM-DD-YYYY)
I-130 (IR-1) TIMELINE [MUMBAI CONSULATE]
07-02-2020 - I-130 SENT
06-01-2021 - APPROVED

NVC
06-06-2021 - Recevied NVC case no. - case entered into nvc's system

06-08-2021 - AOS fee
06-08-2021 - IV fee
07-05-2021 - IV & AOS documents submitted online

07-19-2021 - received message from NVC about case can not be processed unless all civil documents are submitted (was missing police clearance)

08-12-2021 - submitted police clearance certificate - which was last document submitted to NVC

11-05-2021 - Case completed at NVC - DQ

03-31-2022 - Interview letter received

04-28-2022 - Interview date at mumbai embassy

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.