greencardorbust

Using Applicant's income for i-864 Affidavit of Support

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

1. Anyone have experience using your foreign spouse's (applicant's) income to prove financial ability on the i-864? I know she'd have to show that she'll maintain the income from the same source. But does USCIS look more suspiciously at this than at an application where the SPONSOR is providing the income? The applicant here is working on her OPT, so this is all USA income.

2. To throw in a second complication, she didn't make enough last year to make the 125% of poverty cutoff for the two of them--BUT she only started her OPT in August. So she'd basically have to show that she'll maintain the same source of income all this year, and hope they buy her math (which multiplies her monthly income last year by 12 months this year to get to something just above the 125% minimum, $18212.50)

Any experiences here would be great.

Thanks!

1. Anyone have experience using your foreign spouse's (applicant's) income to prove financial ability on the i-864? I know she'd have to show that she'll maintain the income from the same source. But does USCIS look more suspiciously at this than at an application where the SPONSOR is providing the income? The applicant here is working on her OPT, so this is all USA income.

2. To throw in a second complication, she didn't make enough last year to make the 125% of poverty cutoff for the two of them--BUT she only started her OPT in August. So she'd basically have to show that she'll maintain the same source of income all this year, and hope they buy her math (which multiplies her monthly income last year by 12 months this year to get to something just above the 125% minimum, $18212.50)

Any experiences here would be great.

Thanks!

Hello! When we applied for my husband to become a LPR I used my income (I'm the USC) as the primary source of income but I also added my hubby's (applicant) income as a supplement, even though mine alone was above the poverty line. I had just started my job in July 2009 and we applied in October 2009 and we got no RFEs and were approved just fine! They are more interested in your current income so don't worry that she just started. I was a student up until May 2009 so I had under $3000 as my gross income for the previous 3 years before on the tax forms I sent in too :lol: Also, it's not a problem to use the immigrant's income to get your income to the required level (if needed), just be sure the both of you get a letter from each of your employees stating your salary and that you will continue working there in the foreseeable future/are in good standing. I think my letter of employment used those exact words that I was "in good standing." Also make sure each of you sends in evidence separately; meaning you each need to send in pay stubs, tax returns, etc :thumbs:

AOS

09/21/08- Phil arrives in US

08/15/09- Wedding

10/16/09- Mailed out AOS package

01/14/10- Interview completed - Approved!

01/23/10- Conditional Green Card received!

ROC

10/17/11- Mailed ROC package

10/19/11- Package arrives at VSC

10/20/11- NOA1 issued

10/24/11- "Touch"

10/24/11- Check cashed

10/26/11- NOA1 received

11/23/11- Biometrics appointment

01/14/12- Conditional GC Expired

07/17/12- Approved! - Notification of card production

07/23/12- Notification of card being mailed

07/25/12- 10 year GC received!

0e871ca96e.png?html

~~~~

Be the change you wish to see in the world

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Wow, very encouraging, thanks Rebecca and Phil! I think I'll advise my friends to go ahead and marry/AOS based on her income, if she can keep her job (she was going to leave after her OPT in June....these guys haven't quite thought thru the ramifications that if she leaves, they're separated at least 5 months by my count, waiting on K-1....)

Wow, very encouraging, thanks Rebecca and Phil! I think I'll advise my friends to go ahead and marry/AOS based on her income, if she can keep her job (she was going to leave after her OPT in June....these guys haven't quite thought thru the ramifications that if she leaves, they're separated at least 5 months by my count, waiting on K-1....)

No problem! If she is in the US now with her boyfriend/fiance than they should definitely marry here and file AOS. It's the easiest and fastest route if both parties are already in the US. :thumbs:

AOS

09/21/08- Phil arrives in US

08/15/09- Wedding

10/16/09- Mailed out AOS package

01/14/10- Interview completed - Approved!

01/23/10- Conditional Green Card received!

ROC

10/17/11- Mailed ROC package

10/19/11- Package arrives at VSC

10/20/11- NOA1 issued

10/24/11- "Touch"

10/24/11- Check cashed

10/26/11- NOA1 received

11/23/11- Biometrics appointment

01/14/12- Conditional GC Expired

07/17/12- Approved! - Notification of card production

07/23/12- Notification of card being mailed

07/25/12- 10 year GC received!

0e871ca96e.png?html

~~~~

Be the change you wish to see in the world

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.