alex and astrid

Flying with Aeromexico with passport and ticket in different names

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

My husband booked our honeymoon in August this year through Orbitz, and put my ticket in my married name. We are flying with Aeromexico. My passport is still in my maiden name, and I don't know if I will be able to get my name changed in my passport before our trip . I just got off the phone with Orbitz and after explaining the situation, they said that as long as I bring the marriage certificate and things like my birth certificate and my driver's licence, they will let me on. But, I really don't want to get to the ticket counter and not be able to get on my flight!

Has anyone else traveled with this airline with my problem? Or, what has your experience been with ticket in one name and passport in another?

Thank you!

Married February 20, 2010

Permanent Resident April 22, 2010

Naturalized Citizen January 14, 2014

Proud Dual Citizen of Australia and the USA!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Usually, you have to bring documents showing why your name is different and proving who you actually are. So, I would think, your marriage certificate, and birth certificate along with your passport will be fine. I had to do this when I went to Mexico. Going was no problem (we were on a cruise), but coming back, I had to show why my birth certificate and passport were in two different names. I had to bring my marriage certificate. (This was on a previous marriage). It was fine and I was passed through Homeland Security with no problems.

THAT said, PLEASE check with Homeland Security for their rules on re-entering the US. The rules may have changed since my cruise several years ago.

-Blu-

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Amsterdam

02-27-09: I-129F Sent

03-10-09: I-129F NOA1

06-10-09: I-129F NOA2

06-17-09: Rec'vd by NVC

06-18-09: STUCK IN NVC AP

06-25-09: FINALLY petition on it's way to the embassy

06-29-09: DHL delivered our packet to the embassy in Amsterdam

07-01-09: Rec'd Packet 3!!!!

08-01-09: Rec'd Packet 4

08-25-09: Interview date...APPROVED!!!!

12/12/09: Fiancee arrival date WOOOT!

02/20/10: Married and SOOOO happy!

04/20/10: Sent off AOS (finally!)

05/03/10: Rec'd AOS NOA1

Timeline

Usually, you have to bring documents showing why your name is different and proving who you actually are. So, I would think, your marriage certificate, and birth certificate along with your passport will be fine. I had to do this when I went to Mexico. Going was no problem (we were on a cruise), but coming back, I had to show why my birth certificate and passport were in two different names. I had to bring my marriage certificate. (This was on a previous marriage). It was fine and I was passed through Homeland Security with no problems.

THAT said, PLEASE check with Homeland Security for their rules on re-entering the US. The rules may have changed since my cruise several years ago.

-Blu-

Thank you for your reply. I forgot to mention that by then, I should have my green card or at least my AP (AOS pending at the moment :( ), and I know several people who have their green card in their married name and passport in the other and have not had any problem. I carry a copy of my marriage certificate with me all the time too, so I will have that.

Timeline

I have an answer!

After speaking to two different reps from Aeromexico, (who did not want to answer my question because our booking was not done directly though them) third time was the charm! The rep sad, yes, it was perfectly okay to have my ticket in my married name and passport in the other, as long as I could show the link between the two. She also put an annotation on my booking saying that my passport and ticket were in two names so the check in desk will know when it comes time to travel. A worry off my mind :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.