one...two...tree

Good teachers really do make a difference

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Twin studies have shown that genetic factors can account for as much as 82 percent of the variability in children's reading skills. But while genes might set the bar for reading potential, a new study published April 23 in Science shows that teachers play a leading role in helping kids reach it.

"When children receive more effective instruction, they will tend to develop at their optimal trajectory," said study lead author Jeanette Taylor in a prepared statement. "When instruction is less effective, then children's learning potential is not optimized and genetic differences are left unrealized."

Taylor and colleagues from Florida State University in Tallahassee studied 280 identical and 526 fraternal twin pairs in the first and second grades in a diverse sample of Florida schools. Using the Oral Reading Fluency test as a measure of reading skill, the researchers determined how much of the variability in reading achievement was due to genetic factors. The twins' classmates' Oral Reading Fluency test scores were used to measure teacher quality—if test scores improved across the class, the gain was attributed to a high-quality teacher.

The researchers found that good instruction promoted stronger reading development. Without it, children were less likely to reach the potential conferred by their genes. "When teacher quality is very low, genetic variance is constricted, whereas, when teacher quality is very high, genetic variance blooms," they report. While teacher quality appears to be an important contributor, other classroom factors, such as classmates and resources, might also influence reading ability, the researchers noted.

With teacher quality gaining increasing attention in U.S. political circles, the study highlights the potential for education to moderate the genetic effects on early reading. "Putting high-quality teachers in the classroom will not eliminate variability among students nor guarantee equally high achievement from all children, but ignoring teachers as a salient contributor to the classroom environment represents a missed opportunity to promote children's potential in school and their success in life," the researchers concluded.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/blog/post.cfm?id=good-teachers-really-do-make-a-diff-2010-04-22

Apparently the best way to hire and retain good teachers is to pay them peanuts, treat them like #######, show them little to no support or respect, always take the child's word over theirs and inevitably fire their azzes.

Edited by Ali G.

"I believe in the power of the free market, but a free market was never meant to

be a free license to take whatever you can get, however you can get it." President Obama

Timeline

Apparently the best way to hire and retain good teachers is to pay them peanuts, treat them like #######, show them little to no support or respect, always take the child's word over theirs and inevitably fire their azzes.

Yep...unfortunately. They get the brunt of the blame but are really given credit for their impact on a child's learning.

Yep...unfortunately. They get the brunt of the blame but are rarely really given credit for their impact on a child's learning.

Fixored.

Literally not given any credit. A poster [shal] was talking about her experience as an inner-city high school teacher the other day and her experience is just unbelievable. And for what? $50K. Contrary to popular belief, any teacher I know works well over 40 hours a week. Now add in the work they do at home, the rectification they have to take every few years or all of the after school activities they have to do and then tell me they are lazy and don't deserve it.

Who has not had an indifferent teacher in their life? Now think of how many kids did well in that class. To the contrary, I still remember numerous good teachers and am grateful for their help. I will say that at least in AUS, they are remunerated well for their work.

Edited by Ali G.

"I believe in the power of the free market, but a free market was never meant to

be a free license to take whatever you can get, however you can get it." President Obama

Timeline

Fixored.

Literally not given any credit. A poster [shal] was talking about her experience as an inner-city high school teacher the other day and her experience is just unbelievable. And for what? $50K. Contrary to popular belief, any teacher I know works well over 40 hours a week. Now add in the work they do at home, the rectification they have to take every few years or all of the after school activities they have to do and then tell me they are lazy and don't deserve it.

Who has not had an indifferent teacher in their life? Now think of how many kids did well in that class. To the contrary, I still remember numerous good teachers and am grateful for their help. I will say that at least in AUS, they are remunerated well for their work.

To be fair - there are bad teachers out there and we should be able to get rid of them. However, I'd say most of them chose the vocation because they truly want to make a difference. For those kinds of teachers, they need all the public support they can get.

To be fair - there are bad teachers out there and we should be able to get rid of them. However, I'd say most of them chose the vocation because they truly want to make a difference. For those kinds of teachers, they need all the public support they can get.

Agreed. I still clearly remember my good teachers and professors and what influence they had on the students.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Of course there are good and bad. Getting rid of the bad teachers is important but you also need to provide excellent incentives for the good teachers to stay. For the love of the kids is a low-blow BS excuse and we as a society know it. Apart from pay being bad and having to deal with BS from outside the classroom, they also have the parental BS; which seems to be the worsening problem.

You have the situation in 2010 where when a child does not do their homework or care to perform, then it's automatically the teachers fault. The teacher didn't try hard enough or well enough. Unfathomable yet true story, as I heard it from a teacher here. Then you have the my child is gifted parent or the micromanagement parent. No amount of money would have me put up with that #######.

Many also forget that the teachers are dealing with children; furthermore, children who come from widely different upbringings. The stories I hear from my wife's friends make my head want to burst.

Edited by Ali G.