aircal

US Passport for Daughter-Father won't Sign

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hello. My potential fiancee from Colombia married an American in the US about three years ago. They had a daughter together and she was issued a social security number and a US passport. Due to an unhealthy living environment (alcohol and drugs), my girlfriend took her daughter and moved back to Colombia about a year and a half ago, where they currently live. She did not get a green card or anything. However, the daughters passport was lost and to have it replaced at the US embassy in Bogota, they require both parents to be present or a signature consent for the absent parent. Unfortunately, the ex is very immature and tries to play controlling head games and will not consent.

Has anybody been in or heard of a situation like this? Why wouldn't the father, who is an American and lives in the US, want his daughter to have her US passport replaced? I noticed on the consent form there is an area to describe special circumstances on why the other parent is unable to get the other parents signature. I wonder how often the embassy considers granting a passport in a foreign country because one parent won't sign. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Yes, actually I have heard of it because there is another VJ Member who is going through something very similar.

You are going to need the services of a competent lawyer. That is what the other member ended up having to do. You might be able to get a judge's order compelling the USC father to sign. A family attorney would be able to advise you best about that option. The other option is to consult an immigration attorney to see if in the attorney's opinion the US Embassy will consider the unusual circumstances sufficient to grant the passport to your fiancee's daughter.

I cannot believe how bad some "adult" parents can be in these kinds of situations.

Naturalization N-400

Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline

Yes, actually I have heard of it because there is another VJ Member who is going through something very similar.

You are going to need the services of a competent lawyer. That is what the other member ended up having to do. You might be able to get a judge's order compelling the USC father to sign. A family attorney would be able to advise you best about that option. The other option is to consult an immigration attorney to see if in the attorney's opinion the US Embassy will consider the unusual circumstances sufficient to grant the passport to your fiancee's daughter.

I cannot believe how bad some "adult" parents can be in these kinds of situations.

Thanks for the feedback. I will be in Bogota in a couple of weeks and I guess we can fill the form out on why she can't get his signature, go to the embassy, and see if they'll go for it. Fortunately, she doesn't live far away.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Thanks for the feedback. I will be in Bogota in a couple of weeks and I guess we can fill the form out on why she can't get his signature, go to the embassy, and see if they'll go for it. Fortunately, she doesn't live far away.

It is very important that the daughter gets her US passport because it entitles her to enter the USA without requiring the derivative K-2 visa from her mother's K-1 visa.

Naturalization N-400

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.