2 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Scotland
Timeline

I was told that I could send away the I-131 Application for travel document at the same time as my AOS application. Having read the instructions, etc I am no further forward to understanding what this application is for. I thought it was an application to allow you to travel back home while the AOS is pending?

My problem is that I have just found out that my Gran is sick. I am very close to her and my Mum and said that she has just been admitted to hospital and it doesn't look good.

I am sending away my AOS application on Monday. I am not sure whether to send the I-131 application at the same time. I have noticed that you need to provide travel dates, etc on the application. I obviously don't know dates yet.

Can anyone suggest what to do? Obviously, if my Gran does pass, I will find out at the last minute and won't be able to file the application and have it approved in a short space of time. I'm not sure whether just to explain the situation in the application, on the part that says "explain how you qualify for an Advanced Parole Document, and what circumstances warrant issuance of advanced parole"

Has anyone else sent this I-131 application at the same time as your I-485 stuff?

luv9.jpgAuLpm8.png

03/17/10 - Sent I-130 petition by express mail

03/22/10 - I-130 petition received in Chicago

03/26/10 - Check for $355 cashed

04/04/10 - I-130 NOA received (dated 03/30/10)

04/05/10 - Change of address letter sent

04/16/10 - Civil Surgeon appointment

04/19/10 - Sent I-484, I-765 applications by express mail

04/21/10 - I-484, I-765 applications received in Chicago

04/27/10 - Email confirmation from USCIS confirming receipt of I-485, I-765 applications

04/29/10 - Check for $1010 cashed

04/30/10 - I-485 touched

05/01/10 - I-485 & I-765 NOAs received (both dated 04/27/10)

05/04/10 - I-130 petition touched

05/06/10 - RFE received for I-864 (dated 04/30/10)

05/11/10 - INFOPASS scheduled for 10.30am

05/12/10 - RFE documentation sent by priority mail

05/19/10 - RFE received by USCIS and I-485 touched

06/05/10 - RFE received for I-130 (dated 06/01/10)

06/05/10 - Biometric appointment letter received (dated 06/01/10)

06/07/10 - RFE documentation sent by priority mail

06/14/10 - RFE received by USCIS and I-130 touched

06/16/10 - Biometric appointment (1.00pm)

06/18/10 - Online status for I-485 and I-765 says that denial letter have been sent??? (dated 06/01/10)

07/03/10 - I-130 petition approved and letter received (dated 06/29/10)

07/20/10 - Denial letter for I-485 & I-765 received (dated 07/16/10)

I was told that I could send away the I-131 Application for travel document at the same time as my AOS application. Having read the instructions, etc I am no further forward to understanding what this application is for. I thought it was an application to allow you to travel back home while the AOS is pending?

This is normally how you do it - that way the cost of the AP is waived. Your correct- the AP allows you to travel before your able to without abandoning your AOS.

My problem is that I have just found out that my Gran is sick. I am very close to her and my Mum and said that she has just been admitted to hospital and it doesn't look good.

Sorry to hear that - if your AOS is in process, (along with your AP), you can make an INFOPASS to get an emergency expedited AP applied to you (you do not have to wait for the AP to come in the mail if granted).

I am sending away my AOS application on Monday. I am not sure whether to send the I-131 application at the same time. I have noticed that you need to provide travel dates, etc on the application. I obviously don't know dates yet.

Usually you put in "TBD" for the dates and a generic reason for the travel, for example, "In case of emergency travel is required during the AOS process" - you can even put for holiday purposes - there are reminders on USCIS stating this.

Can anyone suggest what to do? Obviously, if my Gran does pass, I will find out at the last minute and won't be able to file the application and have it approved in a short space of time. I'm not sure whether just to explain the situation in the application, on the part that says "explain how you qualify for an Advanced Parole Document, and what circumstances warrant issuance of advanced parole"

File the AOS now, make an infopass now, and request the AP now. Take all evidence of the AOS and show the emergency reason for travel. They will tell you what to bring.

Has anyone else sent this I-131 application at the same time as your I-485 stuff?

Most everyone that follows the VJ guides will do this - it's free and simple to get. I did.

To wit:

Criteria for Expedited Processing of an Application

USCIS will expedite an application, including an application for a travel document, Form I-131, in certain situations, which may include:

• Severe financial loss to company or individual
  • Extreme emergent situation
  • Humanitarian situation
  • Nonprofit status of requesting organization in furtherance of the cultural and social interests of the United States
  • Department of Defense or National Interest Situation (Note: Request must come from official United States Government entity and state that delay will be detrimental to our Government.)
  • USCIS error
  • Compelling interest of USCIS

You may maket an expedite request by contacting the National Customer Service Center (NCSC) at 1-800-375-5283 or by submitting a written request and supporting documentation with your application.

Emergency Advance Parole Documents

If you are experiencing an extremely urgent situation, you may visit your local office to request an emergency advance parole document. When visiting a local office to request emergency advance parole, you should bring the following items:

• A completed and signed Form I-131, Application for Travel Document
  • The correct I-131 filing fee
  • Evidence to support the emergency request (e.g. medical documentation, death certificate)
  • Two passport-style photos.
Read more here.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.