7 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Once you've applied for adjustment of status from a K1 visa....I know "conditions" are applied.....can you still work w/ the "conditions" ...or do you have to wait 2 years until after the "conditions are removed?"

thanks!

Once you've applied for adjustment of status from a K1 visa....I know "conditions" are applied.....can you still work w/ the "conditions" ...or do you have to wait 2 years until after the "conditions are removed?"

thanks!

Yes you can work - once you get the EAD or GC.

The "conditions" you are talking about is actually the "conditional" green card, which means, you only have it for two years, before you have to remove the condition (which is, your marriage is bona fide).

This "conditional" green card is the same as the 10 year green card, you have all the same benefits (you just have to remove conditions as stated on the 2 yr one)

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Timeline

Yes you can work - once you get the EAD or GC.

The "conditions" you are talking about is actually the "conditional" green card, which means, you only have it for two years, before you have to remove the condition (which is, your marriage is bona fide).

This "conditional" green card is the same as the 10 year green card, you have all the same benefits (you just have to remove conditions as stated on the 2 yr one)

k...so once they approved the AOS.....and send me whatever it is they send, i can work once i have that correct? and then just remove conditions 2 years later pretty much.....?! and thats it?

k...so once they approved the AOS.....and send me whatever it is they send, i can work once i have that correct? and then just remove conditions 2 years later pretty much.....?! and thats it?

If you requested the EAD with the AOS, you will probably get the EAD first - with that, and a valid SSN, you can work, prior to the AOS being approved - if you didn't apply for the EAD, you can still do so, as long as your AOS is submitted, and you have the NOA from it (that way it's free).

If you do not do that, you will have to wait for the GC to work. Once you get the GC, you will no longer need the EAD.

Yes, once you hit the 2 year mark, ( - ) 90 days, you can remove conditions (ROC).

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Timeline

If you requested the EAD with the AOS, you will probably get the EAD first - with that, and a valid SSN, you can work, prior to the AOS being approved - if you didn't apply for the EAD, you can still do so, as long as your AOS is submitted, and you have the NOA from it (that way it's free).

If you do not do that, you will have to wait for the GC to work. Once you get the GC, you will no longer need the EAD.

Yes, once you hit the 2 year mark, ( - ) 90 days, you can remove conditions (ROC).

Right....so I have another question then....on my forms given to the US Embassy here for my K1 visa, I checked off to receive an SSN ...other then a bank account and driver's license, does that enable me to work?

Right....so I have another question then....on my forms given to the US Embassy here for my K1 visa, I checked off to receive an SSN ...other then a bank account and driver's license, does that enable me to work?

No - that is used if you were doing the CR-1 visa (or similar visa) - which gives you a greencard when you enter the US.

You will still need to go to the SSA (give it 3 weeks from US entry) to apply for your SSN.

Even when you get the SSN - you will still need the EAD or the Greencard, as outlined above - the SSN by itself will not allow you to work legally, as an immigrant.

Timeline

No - that is used if you were doing the CR-1 visa (or similar visa) - which gives you a greencard when you enter the US.

You will still need to go to the SSA (give it 3 weeks from US entry) to apply for your SSN.

Even when you get the SSN - you will still need the EAD or the Greencard, as outlined above - the SSN by itself will not allow you to work legally, as an immigrant.

OHHH... see I didn't know that the SSN on the forms was for CR-1 visas....it didn't say. So i just checked it off.

I suppose it doesn't mean anything then....

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.