fran6

I need your advice

5 posts in this topic

Hi everybody,

First, thank you guys for all your postings, your posting helped us in preparing for the interview. My fiance and I are Nigerians but he works and live in Ghana, so our interview was today in Ghana. l decided to come down to Ghana to attend his interview because I was so scared to let him attend it on his own. The consular was very friendly, he asked about Houston weather, and we talked about other social issues. He asked very few questions which were mostly addressed to me (my questions: how long you live in your old address?, what is your maiden name, how many sibling do you have? did any of your brother stays with you at your old address? what are your sibling names? My fiance questions: what is your occupation? how long have you live in Ghana? how long have you know your fiancee?). My fiance had birth declaration from the court from Nigeria instead of the original or reissue copy from the hospital. The consular asked " can you get a reissue copy from the authority? My fiance and I said no, we said no because I too have been using court declaration as my birth certificate, so we thought it not possible to get it, anyway, he turned off the speaker, spoke to his collegues, and put us on awaiting administrative process that he will contact Nigeria for clarification, and than asked us to return in two weeks. My questions: is there going to be any problem for us answering that we can't get an reissue birth certificate? do I change my ticket to attend the next interview with him? I am scared!! I have waited too long for this and don't want this little problem to affect us. Please give me your advice.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Your report of the interview generally seems positive. It sounds like you had a friendly Consular Officer (CO).

He is probably going to check through the Nigerian Consulate how difficult it is to obtain the document he first requested, a re-issued birth certificate. I think the question about whether to change your ticket is up to you and how confident you are that the CO will here from Nigeria that it is almost impossible to obtain a re-issued birth certificate and must settle for a court ordered document.

The best scenario is if you could be there for the follow-up to avoid any additional problems. I do not know how much a hardship this might be for you on a job or lost wages etc...

I think he might be trying to save you both some trouble using this document for AOS once you are in the USA.

Good luck.

Naturalization N-400

Thanks Andy_Rob for your reply. I am okay finically and can afford to stay for one more week, but my job might be the problem. We decided to go get the reissue birth certificate just in case, and like your advice, I think I will have to stay to attend the second interview with him to avoid any problem. thanks and I appreciate your reply, an outside option makes a difference.

Thanks Andy_Rob for your reply. I am okay finically and can afford to stay for one more week, but my job might be the problem. We decided to go get the reissue birth certificate just in case, and like your advice, I think I will have to stay to attend the second interview with him to avoid any problem. thanks and I appreciate your reply, an outside option makes a difference.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.