GuardianAngel

Sequence of things to do after marriage

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

For some people, after marriage they submitted their AOS applications right away but not in my case. I've always been dependent to the schedule of my husband since I believe we have to sit down and lay matters on the table first while expediting every single document that have to be included in the package. I have already prepared all the necessary documents but we still have yet to recheck everything. So far we are still on schedule, my I-94 will expire on May 10 and we are planning to send the packet on the 19th of April.

Regarding the married name issue in my AOS forms, my husband and I went to the federal courts and they seemed confused about what has to be done. The clerk's suggestion was for me to get my name changed legally and pay the necessary fees. We still can't seem to believe it since most of the VJ members were able to change their names in their own means without doing all the paperworks. I reckon, the only document I have right now that's bearing my maiden name since I arrived in the US is my SSN. So we will just take it from there.. we will submit all the necessary paperworks in my MARRIED NAME and see what happens. ANyway, if they will have questions about it, they will require an RFE right? Would you do the same thing?

FOr those of you who have already gone through the process.. Is this the sequence you followed?

1) SSN Application in Maiden Name

2) Marriage

3) AOS Application

4) DMV - drivers license

5) Change SSN maiden name to married name

6) Wait for Biometrics INterview.

Also, what were the identification cards accepted by DMV when you had your license application?

If and when the biometrics interview comes I still cant get my drivers license, what other types of identification cards will USCIS accept?

Thank you VJ.

GuardianAngel

I-129F Sent : July 23, 2009
Check Cashed : July 29, 2009
NOA1 : July 28, 2009
NOA2 : October 21, 2009
Left NVC : October 28, 2009
USEM Letter Received : November 12, 2009
Medical Passed : December 15/16, 2009
Interview Passed : January 19, 2010
Visa Received : January 26, 2010 12:30pm
Arrived in the US : February 3, 2010
POE: Seattle, Tacoma WA

Wedding : March 20, 2010

AOS
Submission of AOS application
I485, I131, and I765 : May 02, 2010
Receipt Notice Received : May 06, 2010
Check Cashed : May 07, 2010
Biometrics Appointment : May 24, 2010
Card Production Ordered EAD: July 12, 2010
Advance Parole (Touched - Post Decision Activity): July 12, 2010
EAD Card Received : July 22, 2010
AP Document Received : July 15, 2010
Passed Drivers Test : October 5, 2010
Hired (First Job in the US) September 27, 2010
AOS Interview : January 05, 2011
Welcome Letter and Green card received: January 11, 2011

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
Card Expiration: January 5, 2013
I-751 Joint Petition Rcvd by USCIS: October 25, 2012
Check Cashed : October 29, 2012
Biometrics NOA : October 31, 2012
Biometrics Appointment : November 23, 2012

Approved: May 22, 2013

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

For some people, after marriage they submitted their AOS applications right away but not in my case. I've always been dependent to the schedule of my husband since I believe we have to sit down and lay matters on the table first while expediting every single document that have to be included in the package. I have already prepared all the necessary documents but we still have yet to recheck everything. So far we are still on schedule, my I-94 will expire on May 10 and we are planning to send the packet on the 19th of April.

Regarding the married name issue in my AOS forms, my husband and I went to the federal courts and they seemed confused about what has to be done. The clerk's suggestion was for me to get my name changed legally and pay the necessary fees. We still can't seem to believe it since most of the VJ members were able to change their names in their own means without doing all the paperworks. I reckon, the only document I have right now that's bearing my maiden name since I arrived in the US is my SSN. So we will just take it from there.. we will submit all the necessary paperworks in my MARRIED NAME and see what happens. ANyway, if they will have questions about it, they will require an RFE right? Would you do the same thing?

FOr those of you who have already gone through the process.. Is this the sequence you followed?

2) Marriage

3) AOS Application

4) DMV - drivers license

Also, what were the identification cards accepted by DMV when you had your license application?

If and when the biometrics interview comes I still cant get my drivers license, what other types of identification cards will USCIS accept?

Thank you VJ.

Basically, the sequence of what to do next is all up to you. What we did first was get married, submit AOS and as soon as I received my green card,I applied for my SSN, California ID and Driver License. So everything is under my married name already.

For Drivers License,

* An acceptable birth date/legal presence (BD/LP) document(s).

* An acceptable true full name document if the name of your BD/LP document is different from the name on your DL/ID card application.

* Your Social Security number (SSN). It will be verified with the Social Security Administration (SSA) while you are in the DMV office.

I just presented my Green Card and provided them my SSN. You may show your EAD since that usually comes early in the mail during your AOS process.

Regarding your last question about Biometrics? You just need to show your current passport, Original Marriage Certificate (they just need to look at it and verify your married name since your passport still carries your single name) and the Appointment Letter mailed to you for Biometrics.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

2) Marriage

3) AOS Application

4) DMV - drivers license

Thank you VJ.

My timeline has worked out like this -

1) Marriage

2) AOS Application

3) Change name on SNN to married name (I already had an SNN form when I lived in the US on an F1 visa)

4) Biometrics appointment

....And now I am just waiting for my AP/EAD and Green Card decisions. I can't get a drivers licence until I at least get my EAD because my I-94 expires in two weeks and California won't give me one because I can't really prove legal presence yet.

Married February 20, 2010

Permanent Resident April 22, 2010

Naturalized Citizen January 14, 2014

Proud Dual Citizen of Australia and the USA!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thank you mkatt8, somehow you clarified it. I might get my driving test once I get my EAD just like alex and astrid. I still need to practice more on my driving skills since the traffic rules in the Philippines are way too different than what they have here in the US.

GuardianAngel

I-129F Sent : July 23, 2009
Check Cashed : July 29, 2009
NOA1 : July 28, 2009
NOA2 : October 21, 2009
Left NVC : October 28, 2009
USEM Letter Received : November 12, 2009
Medical Passed : December 15/16, 2009
Interview Passed : January 19, 2010
Visa Received : January 26, 2010 12:30pm
Arrived in the US : February 3, 2010
POE: Seattle, Tacoma WA

Wedding : March 20, 2010

AOS
Submission of AOS application
I485, I131, and I765 : May 02, 2010
Receipt Notice Received : May 06, 2010
Check Cashed : May 07, 2010
Biometrics Appointment : May 24, 2010
Card Production Ordered EAD: July 12, 2010
Advance Parole (Touched - Post Decision Activity): July 12, 2010
EAD Card Received : July 22, 2010
AP Document Received : July 15, 2010
Passed Drivers Test : October 5, 2010
Hired (First Job in the US) September 27, 2010
AOS Interview : January 05, 2011
Welcome Letter and Green card received: January 11, 2011

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
Card Expiration: January 5, 2013
I-751 Joint Petition Rcvd by USCIS: October 25, 2012
Check Cashed : October 29, 2012
Biometrics NOA : October 31, 2012
Biometrics Appointment : November 23, 2012

Approved: May 22, 2013

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

good info in here, watching it :)

N-400:

02/21/2015: N-400 sent via USPS Priority Mail to Phoenix, AZ Lockbox

02/23/2015: N-400 received by USCIS

02/27/2015: Check cashed

03/03/2015: I-797C, Notice of Action received

03/26/2015: Fingerprints done!

08/24/2015: Notice of Action received, Interview letter!

09/28/2015: Interview day, PASSED! Oath Ceremony same day :)

mens-sofitel-loo.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thank you mkatt8, somehow you clarified it. I might get my driving test once I get my EAD just like alex and astrid. I still need to practice more on my driving skills since the traffic rules in the Philippines are way too different than what they have here in the US.

That is so true! But the written test is quite easy. Just read the handbook and go to DMVs website and take their sample written tests there and watch their you tube videos. Those helped a lot! Good luck and I hope all will go smooth.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.