JelloShotGirl

Going back home to Phils

4 posts in this topic

Hi I just wanted to see if anyone would like to share their experiences returning home for a visit after being in "the states" My husband (Filipino citizen) and I are returning to visit after being in the usa for 3 years. WHat were your feelings? What was reaction from friends and family? Did u change?Did ur family and friends change? What was your family's expectations? Were u happy? overwhelmed , excited? dissapointed? Just want to know other peoples' experiences..what was it like going back the 1st time as a married couple? thanks!

mailed out aos and ead 7/13/2007

aol and ead packet received per usps 7/16/2007

checks cashed 07/26/07

noa 1 FOR EAD RECEIVED 07/27/07

noa 1 for aos received 07/28/07

biometrics 08/15/07

ead card ordered 09/20/07!!!!

ead card received 10/01/07! finally!

aos case transferred to California Service Center 10/03/07!

received "Welcome to the United States of America I-797 11/05/07!(dated 10/30/07)!

Permanent Resident card received 11/05/07 (dated 10/31/07)! THank u LorD!

Will file for 10 year GC End of July/Early August 2009!

Removal of Conditions:

Mailed I-751 overnight mail to Vermont Service Center 09/10/09

VSC received the I-751 Packet 09/11/09 About 12 pm Local time

Check was cashed as of Sept 16th 2009

NOA Received 09/19/09 dated 09/14/09

I-797 Appointment Notice received 10/01/09 dated 09/25/09 (Biometrics)

Got they 10 year GC approval letter in the mail dated 01/08/10! yehey!

10 GREENCARD RECEIVED 01/20/10

Citizenship.......maybe............or maybe stay a permanent resident .......................

6771903_bodyshot_300x400.gif

Filed: Other Timeline

Something made me look at your post: returning "home" to the Philippines.

Do you know at what time you're really have become a permanent resident, not in the legal sense but the real life one? When the US has become the "home" you're returning to.

I haven't visited Europe since 1994, as my home is the US. I am actually looking forward to visiting Europe, my family and friends this year, after a 16-year absence. But I'll be returning "home" to the US.

Keep that little thing in the back of your head and once you find yourself referring to the US as home, you'll know you've done that final transition.

:star:

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Something made me look at your post: returning "home" to the Philippines.

Do you know at what time you're really have become a permanent resident, not in the legal sense but the real life one? When the US has become the "home" you're returning to.

I haven't visited Europe since 1994, as my home is the US. I am actually looking forward to visiting Europe, my family and friends this year, after a 16-year absence. But I'll be returning "home" to the US.

Keep that little thing in the back of your head and once you find yourself referring to the US as home, you'll know you've done that final transition.

:star:

you can call a place your home when your heart stays there wherever you may be. But honestly, its just a word like any other words. No big deal.

After 2 years in the US, I went back to the Philippines for a visit in 2008. It was both familiar and unfamiliar at the same time.

I noticed every little thing I had never noticed before like how crazy the drivers are and how lane markings are not really followed. My husband is a big white guy and we are hounded by vendors every where we go. I used to be able to handle it but I found it just too irritating when I came back.

I think everyone was expecting that I would just be throwing money. Spending on pasalubong and stuff. In fact I got most of my pasalubong from the 99¢ store before I left US.

N-400

02/03/10 - Application mailed

03/04/10 - Biometrics

05/26/10 - Interview

06/23/10 - Oath

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.