grooveman

Preparing for the VISA interview in Montreal

11 posts in this topic

My Canadian wife has her CR1 visa interview on May 13th in Montreal. I want to make sure I have all our ducks in a row before we get there and possibly encounter problems.

A couple of questions came to mind while I was researching.

Does the Consulate keep her passport after she is approved for the Visa?

Also, our interview is scheduled for 0830, but I read that we should arrive early as it is first come first served.. So even though we have an 0830 appt, so many others may have that same time as well is that correct?

Thanks

Yes they will keep her passport and mail it back to her in the xpresspost envelop she has to hand in. Interviews are first come not what time the interview letter says.

Removal of Conditions: 12/09/2011

ROC check cashed 12/15/11

NOA1 12/13/11

Biometrics 1/6/12 Complete

RFE 9/13/12

RFE package sent back 10/17/12

Card Production Ordered 12/04/12

10 year card arrived in mail 12/10/12

If approved, the Consulate will keep her passport, yes, to put her visa into it.

Although your appointment says 8:30, it is most certainly first-come, first-serve. Doors will open at approx. 7:30 and folks will begin lining up anywhere from 6:30 on. Best to arrive early, as the sooner you are there, the sooner you will get to leave.

It is greatly to your benefit if you are one of the first five couples lined up outside the Consulate.

01/08/2010 - Applied for SSN in maiden name.

01/09/2010 - Married! Officially a Missis.

01/19/2010 - Received SSN in mail.

02/10/2010 - Sent I-485/I-131/I-765 to Chicago.

02/19/2010 - NOA dates for all applications.

02/22/2010 - Received NOAs in mail.

02/23/2010 - Applied for SSN for married name.

03/04/2010 - Applied for Florida DL in married name.

03/09/2010 - Biometrics appointment.

04/18/2010 - AP received.

04/23/2010 - EAD approved.

04/27/2010 - AOS Interview at Orlando USCIS (decision pending).

04/28/2010 - Card production ordered!

05/03/2010 - EAD received.

05/03/2010 - Welcome letter received.

05/28/2010 - Green Card received in mail.

01/26/2012 - Mailed RoC packet to VSC.

01/30/2012 - NOA date on application.

02/01/2012 - Cheque cashed.

02/05/2012 - Received NOA in mail.

02/10/2012 - Touch.

02/24/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice dated.

02/27/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice received.

03/23/2012 - Biometrics appointment.

09/20/2012 - Touch. Card Production ordered!

09/21/2012 - Touch.

09/24/2012 - Touch. Card mailed.

If approved, the Consulate will keep her passport, yes, to put her visa into it.

Although your appointment says 8:30, it is most certainly first-come, first-serve. Doors will open at approx. 7:30 and folks will begin lining up anywhere from 6:30 on. Best to arrive early, as the sooner you are there, the sooner you will get to leave.

It is greatly to your benefit if you are one of the first five couples lined up outside the Consulate.

How long does it typically take to get the passport with visa returned? Problem is we live right on the border and she works in Canada so she crosses 3 or 4 times a week. Shes needs her passport to do that..

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Mathew had his interview on the 23rd, and STILL doesn't have his passport with his visa in it. It's been printed and everything, it just hasn't arrived. So that might be a problem if she needs her passport that soon.

Maybe if you explain this to the CO they may let you pick up the visa instead of having it mailed out. The worst they can do is tell you no, but it's worth a shot.

Naturalization

04/10/17- N-400 Filed

04/12/17- Received Phoenix, AZ Lockbox

04/13/17- Credit Card Charged

04/14/17- NOA

05/08/17- Biometrics

05/11/17- In Line

05/22/17- Interview Scheduled

06/28/17- Interview(Approved)

08/29/17 - Oath Ceremony

Mathew had his interview on the 23rd, and STILL doesn't have his passport with his visa in it. It's been printed and everything, it just hasn't arrived. So that might be a problem if she needs her passport that soon.

Maybe if you explain this to the CO they may let you pick up the visa instead of having it mailed out. The worst they can do is tell you no, but it's worth a shot.

Yeah doesn't hurt to ask I guess.

I thought of something else I couldn't find the answer for.. Should we receive some kind of interview packet or anything else in the mail before we go to Montreal?

So far all we received is the email about 2 weeks ago with the date of interview and items to bring..

Edited by grooveman

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

You should be receiving a hard copy of that email(at least we did). That's your Packet 4. That's the last thing you'll be receiving prior to interview. :)

Edited by Kayla*Mathew

Naturalization

04/10/17- N-400 Filed

04/12/17- Received Phoenix, AZ Lockbox

04/13/17- Credit Card Charged

04/14/17- NOA

05/08/17- Biometrics

05/11/17- In Line

05/22/17- Interview Scheduled

06/28/17- Interview(Approved)

08/29/17 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

How long does it typically take to get the passport with visa returned? Problem is we live right on the border and she works in Canada so she crosses 3 or 4 times a week. Shes needs her passport to do that..

Is she permitted to live in the US before her visa is approved? If not, and she's just 'visiting' you in your border town, then they may not take this into consideration. Of course it doesn't hurt to ask, but when I did, they had no pity on me. Because Montreal is so close to where my fiance lives in the states (and where I was pretty much visiting for a month or so before my interview) I didn't want to return all the way home to NS just to wait for visa (expensive!). The interviewer explained- well, you're Canadian, you live in Canada, and so this shouldn't be awkward for you.

The best thing to do (if they don't let you pick it up) is to stay in Montreal and have it sent to an address there (hotel) or at least to an address in an Ontario major city. It's the fastest way to get your visa, usually one day in the mail, maybe two. I had my interview on March 25, the visa was processed on the 29th, in the mail on the 31st and I had my visa in hand on April 1st -- 5 business days. I stayed with a friend in Ottawa. Your fiancee should be prepared to take some time off of work, or stay with a friend/hotel on the Canadian side near her work until the visa arrives.

Good luck with the interview!

Thanks again, yes she is permitted to stay with me in the U.S. while the visa is being processed. Waiting there will not be an option however, so she may have to try to work something else out in order to travel back and forth. Or she will just have to quit her job across the border in Canada and stay in the U.S. until she gets her passport back.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

There used to be a note in the interview letter or somewhere that stated that if you live in the U.S. you could pick your visa up.

Anyway, what I would do is email Montreal prior to the interview date and explain the situation, that way it can be added to your file and the CO will at least have prior notification.

Ensure you put your case number in the subject line of the email.

If you get a CO that wants to help you out - then they will probably let you pick it up the next day.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.