walkerr06

Working in home country while on K-1 visa? and I-134 question

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Hello,

I was browsing some of the other forums and noticed that it seems that my foreign fiancee will be eligible to work in the US after we're married and file for adjustment of status, and that's approved. He works as a freelance illustrator, and I was just wondering if it's possible for him to continue working with his foreign clientele while he's here on his K-1? Or does he need to stop working altogether?

I also noticed that on the I-134 (I think that's the form, where I verify that I can support him) there's a question that says "Have you filed for a visa application for anyone?" Do I check yes and include my fiancee on that box? Or do they assume that since I'm filing an I-134 that I've obviously already filed a visa application for someone?

Thanks very much! We just got our NOA1 today and are so excited the ball is rolling. :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

Hello,

I was browsing some of the other forums and noticed that it seems that my foreign fiancee will be eligible to work in the US after we're married and file for adjustment of status, and that's approved. He works as a freelance illustrator, and I was just wondering if it's possible for him to continue working with his foreign clientele while he's here on his K-1? Or does he need to stop working altogether?

I also noticed that on the I-134 (I think that's the form, where I verify that I can support him) there's a question that says "Have you filed for a visa application for anyone?" Do I check yes and include my fiancee on that box? Or do they assume that since I'm filing an I-134 that I've obviously already filed a visa application for someone?

Thanks very much! We just got our NOA1 today and are so excited the ball is rolling. :)

Hello and welcome to Visa Journey!!!

I'm going to let someone else answer part 1 of your posting. (However, my opinion is that he could continue to work with his foreign clientele while here. He cannot and should NOT be working and earning any money in the USA.)

Your answer to this question on the I-134 is "NO"...this is talking about another person in the past, not your fiance'. They do not assume anything...hence the questions are asked on the form for the information they need.

Best Wishes, :thumbs:

Franc

Edited by FrancElsie

12.31.2009 I-129F Visa Petition rec'd at CSC

01.04.2010 I-797 NOA Receipt Notice WAC1006xxxxxx

03.02.2010 Request for Evidence: CSC wanted copy of previous divorce decree. Arrived @ CSC 03.12.1010

03.16.2010 I-797 NOA-2 Approved and sent from California Service Center 71 Days from NOA-1

03.16.2010 USCIS sending notification of the approved application/petition to the National Visa Center.

03.23.2010 NVC sent file to U.S. Embassy in San Jose, Costa Rica! SNJ2010XXXXXX

03.26.2010 Received NVC letter (hard copy) dated March 24, 2010 in the mail.

03.27.2010 File arrived @ U.S. Embassy.

04.07.2010 Embassy called for Elsie to come and get Packet #3. She will pick up April 13th.

04.08.2010 Embassy e-mailed Packet #3 to me today.

04.15.2010 Interview scheduled for 30 April 2010

04.30.2010 Visas approved...pick up everything on 5/4/2010 @ 3pm.

05.05.2010 Traveling together to the USA...POE Denver, Colorado

07.28.2010 Married today...end to a long journey with more to come!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

He should not be earning money from the time he enters the USA on his K-1 visa until he has received his EAD. The EAD (Employment Authorization Document) will allow him to work legally from the USA. This is applied for after you have married when you apply for AOS. You should apply for AOS, EAD and AP all at once to save time and money.

Naturalization N-400

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

He should not be earning money from the time he enters the USA on his K-1 visa until he has received his EAD. The EAD (Employment Authorization Document) will allow him to work legally from the USA. This is applied for after you have married when you apply for AOS. You should apply for AOS, EAD and AP all at once to save time and money.

Thanks so much, both of you! This whole thing can be so confusing sometimes, and it's nice to have others help you along.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.