bluberry

TN Visa holder wanting to marry a US citizen

21 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

One last question, you guys have all been so helpful and I really appreciate it...

Can we say the best method of persuing is this...Can you guys agree????

Remain in states a minimum of 90 before getting married (and continuing to work on my TN)

After marriage, apply for EAD and AP (and continuing to work at my job except with a different status now)

Someone mentioned a CR-1 I dont even know what that is and since I've already moved here and don't plan on commuting back to Canada for a long time, would this method still be good????

My main is that I really want to keep my job because I love what I do and i'm on the right track to advance my career and at the same time I want to get married and live here...without any problems...(seems so easy to say but they make it kina hard for us)

Again, thank you for everything you guys!

Forget the CR1, no reason to do that when you have the opportunity to adjust status.

Your plan sounds reasonable to me.

Edited by trailmix

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Forget the CR1, no reason to do that when you have the opportunity to adjust status.

Your plan sounds reasonable to me.

Yeah no reason for the CR1. Plus why even wait the 90 days? Getting married now or next week will be no different then after 90 days. You have entered legally because the Officer let you if with knowledge of your situation and decided to still admit you. There is nothing more you need to worry about.

I would get married when I was ready next week or 8 months, whenever. The best plan though would be to get all the AOS forms downloaded and filled out. There are quite a number of them and can take some time filling them out and there are some confusing things on it.

I actually had a lawyer for mine, many do it without, but when I was on a TN status I wanted to be sure it was done right. There were a few tricky questions that I remember was easier. Plus the lawyer came with me to my interview. Not really much of a big deal, but he filled out a lot of the forms for me which did take a lot of stress off things. Of course they can be expensive, and AOS is easily done without from what I hear from a lot of other people.

Just make sure that you have a lot of time left on your current TN status, maybe at least 8 months or more. More the better and less stress. Then go for it...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Here's some info you may find interesting about the TN visa and adjusting from it (especially the parts at the end). I'm starting to think you'll be fine as well, especially given this part:

In a letter dated April 21, 2008 (the "2008 Letter"), from Mr. Paul M. Morris, Executive Director, Admissibility and Passenger Programs, USCBP opined that the mere filing or approval of a Form I-140 (I-130? -Spoom) immigrant petition on behalf of a TN nonimmigrant would not automatically constitute immigrant intent. A TN nonimmigrant and his or her dependents may have an intention to immigrate or adjust status at a future time but, as long as his or her intention at the time of admission is to be in the United States for a temporary period, he or she could be admitted. However, once the TN files an application for an immigrant visa or adjustment of status, the TN would no longer be eligible for admission or an extension of stay as a TN nonimmigrant.

Again, the question ends up being whether or not you had immigrant intent when you last renewed your TN.

I-129F / K-1 / AOS:

2009-02-21: Sent I-129F package to VSC

2009-11-09: Interview in Montreal - VISA GRANTED!

2009-11-21: POE - Moved to be with my fiancee :)

2010-01-23: Married!

2010-02-19: Sent I-485 (AOS), I-765 (EAD), I-131 (AP) package to Chicago Lockbox

2010-03-01: NOA1

2010-03-16: Transferred to CSC!

2010-03-24: Biometrics in Buffalo

2010-04-21: AOS APPROVED!

2010-04-27: Received I-797 Approval / Welcome to America letter for AOS

2010-04-30: Received Green Card

ROC:

2012-03-12: Sent I-751 package to VSC

2012-03-13: I-751 package arrived at VSC (Hi D. Renaud!)

2012-03-14: NOA1

2012-03-15: I-751 check cashed

2012-03-19: Received NOA1

2012-03-27: Received biometrics appt. notice for 2012-04-19 in Buffalo

2012-04-09: Successful early walk-in biometrics at Cleveland ASC

2012-12-04: I-751 APPROVED / 10 YR GC PRODUCTION ORDERED!

Naturalization:

2015-11-30: Here we go again: Filling out the N-400

2015-12-21: Sent N-400 to Phoenix AZ Lockbox

2015-12-23: NOA Date

2016-01-20: Biometrics in Cleveland

2016-01-25: In-line for interview

2016-01-25: Interview scheduled!

2016-01-29: Received interview letter! Scheduled for...

2016-02-29: Interview in Cleveland - APPROVED!

2016-03-18: Naturalization ceremony in Cleveland! I am a US Citizen!

Filed: TN Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Well, when I last renewed my TN (it was the third time), it was because the company I was working at hired me as a direct employee. I told the officer that, I had been working there for over 2 years as a contractor and now I'm hired on. This is a big reason of why I moved because in the past when I was a contractor I didn't have job security to move, I can get laid off any day and I didn't want to get a lease since any day I could lose my job. However, when I was hired on, I moved within 2 months because I felt secure that the company I work for will not lay me off any time soon and that I could get a place to stay at. I answered truthfully to his question when I was asked if I was engaged to an American. He admitted me to the US and allowed me to have a TN Visa that expires 2 yrs from that day. I moved a month or two after that. If I was to get laid off today I still have a residency there and I can easily move right back.

I feel that my case does not show dual intentions, does anyone disagree???????

Thanks again for all, you guys are awesome!!!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Well, when I last renewed my TN (it was the third time), it was because the company I was working at hired me as a direct employee. I told the officer that, I had been working there for over 2 years as a contractor and now I'm hired on. This is a big reason of why I moved because in the past when I was a contractor I didn't have job security to move, I can get laid off any day and I didn't want to get a lease since any day I could lose my job. However, when I was hired on, I moved within 2 months because I felt secure that the company I work for will not lay me off any time soon and that I could get a place to stay at. I answered truthfully to his question when I was asked if I was engaged to an American. He admitted me to the US and allowed me to have a TN Visa that expires 2 yrs from that day. I moved a month or two after that. If I was to get laid off today I still have a residency there and I can easily move right back.

I feel that my case does not show dual intentions, does anyone disagree???????

Thanks again for all, you guys are awesome!!!!

That's all perfectly fine and legal. You went and got a brand new TN and moved because the new position you had meant it was easier for you. Regardless anytime you get your very first TN or any new TN's after it's perfectly acceptable to move or not move depending. You could have easily decided to remain in Canada. So no there are no issues or dual intent with that. If the Officer thought that you were exploiting the system they would not have granted you access and denied your new TN status application.

Now you are like anyone else on the TN status living in the US. If you got laid off today, then you would have to leave the US (or apply for an actual visitors visa). This would be no different then if you lived in Canada and worked on the TN status commuting. This is why the temporary nature of the TN status. Some actual visas (possible the H1B) may allow you to remain in the US if something like that happens, but the TN which is not a visa isn't the same.

So yeah, since you stated you can easily move back to Canada as you have residnecy there. That even showed the officer more ties to Canada and that you are treating the TN status as a temporary thing. So there is nothing wrong with your entry and nothing wrong with now going forward with your marriage whenever you want. Just make sure you leave enough time which it seems with a 2 year status, you have plenty of time to get married. Just get married though before you have 8 months left on this TN otherwise you might be cutting it short...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: TN Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I just want to say thank you guys for everything, I really appreciate it...I will update my journey after we get married in a few months.

I hope to be able to give back to this site as much as I've gotten. All the best guys. God Bless and Happy Easter

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.