Scott & LC

Changing Name on SSN

7 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Hi all,

I was just wondering about changing names and also my work status on SSN. Currently, it's still under my maiden name and "Work authorization only with DHS approval". My AOS under K-1 has been transferred to CSC. My EAD has been approved and the EAD production has been ordered. So I was wondering when my EAD comes in, would the EAD document be sufficient enough for me to change my name to my married name on SSN? Or do I have to wait for my green card??

Thank you!

Cheers

LC

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi all,

I was just wondering about changing names and also my work status on SSN. Currently, it's still under my maiden name and "Work authorization only with DHS approval". My AOS under K-1 has been transferred to CSC. My EAD has been approved and the EAD production has been ordered. So I was wondering when my EAD comes in, would the EAD document be sufficient enough for me to change my name to my married name on SSN? Or do I have to wait for my green card??

Thank you!

Cheers

LC

We were told you should fill out your aos with the name you want. The EAD should be sufficient for SS restriction to be lifted. Not positive about the name change portion sadly.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Manilla, Philipines

I-129F Sent : 2009-09-02

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-09-04

I-129F RFE(s) : 2009-10-19

RFE Reply(s) : 2009-10-28

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-11-18

NVC Received : 2009-11-20

NVC Left : 2009-11-24

Consulate Received : 2009-12-04

Packet 3 Received :

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received : 2009-12-05

Interview Date : 2010-01-04 Approved.

Planned POE: 2010-01-08

You can change your name on your SS card at any time - all you have to do is provide documentation proving the legality of that name change (your marriage certificate).

SA4userbar.jpg

Timeline

You can change your name on your SS card at any time - all you have to do is provide documentation proving the legality of that name change (your marriage certificate).

Thanks for the reply. I wanted to change my name on SSN to my married name after getting marriage cert. However, when we went to the SSA office, they told us that I can't change my name as my I-94 was going to expire soon... so now, I was wondering if I haven't gotten my greencard yet but after receiving my EAD, will I be able to change to my married name? Oh and I filed my AOS under my married name.

Edited by Scott & LC

Filed: Timeline

If your EAD card has your married name and you got your passport in your married name, that is all you need to get your married name on your SSN record.

RM 10212.001 Defining the Legal Name for an SSN

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110212001

B. Evidence of legal name

2. Foreign born individual

A foreign-born person’s legal name is the name shown on his or her immigration document (includes hyphens and apostrophes).

The only time you may process an SSN application in a name that does not agree with the name shown on the immigration document is if the person legally changed his or her name after the immigration document is issued.

a. Name on immigration document and other evidence for an SSN are different

When the name shown on the immigration document differs from the name shown on other evidence submitted for an SSN, process the SSN in the name on the immigration document as long as the name can be derived from the other evidence (e.g., foreign passport).

You will need to wait until your AOS is approved and you have an I-551 stamp or card (Green Card) before you can be issued an unrestricted SSN card.

If you only want to change the name on your SSN record you can do that with your marriage certificate, but you will not be issued a SSN card until you have evidence of wirk authorization.

RM 10211.605 Request for a Replacement SSN Card Obtained for a Nonwork Purpose

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211605

A. Correcting Numident data when a replacement card cannot be issued

If the alien does not provide evidence of work authorization or a valid nonwork reason, explain that we cannot issue a replacement card.

1. Alien provides documentation supporting the change

Although the FO cannot issue a replacement card, you may correct the Numident if the alien provides documentation supporting the change (e.g., a name change).

If the alien provides documentation supporting the change, process the replacement card application to update the Numident information but suppress the issuance of a card.

-- Answer “yes” to the "Suppress card issuance" question on the SSNAP Additional Information screen and record the nonwork reason documentation on the SSNAP Proof of Legal Alien Status screen.

--Provide written notice, using Form SSA-L676, to explain that we cannot issue a replacement card because the applicant did not present appropriate authorization permitting him or her to work in the U.S. and has not provided evidence of a valid nonwork reason for an SSN.

Timeline

If your EAD card has your married name and you got your passport in your married name, that is all you need to get your married name on your SSN record.

RM 10212.001 Defining the Legal Name for an SSN

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110212001

B. Evidence of legal name

2. Foreign born individual

A foreign-born person’s legal name is the name shown on his or her immigration document (includes hyphens and apostrophes).

The only time you may process an SSN application in a name that does not agree with the name shown on the immigration document is if the person legally changed his or her name after the immigration document is issued.

a. Name on immigration document and other evidence for an SSN are different

When the name shown on the immigration document differs from the name shown on other evidence submitted for an SSN, process the SSN in the name on the immigration document as long as the name can be derived from the other evidence (e.g., foreign passport).

You will need to wait until your AOS is approved and you have an I-551 stamp or card (Green Card) before you can be issued an unrestricted SSN card.

If you only want to change the name on your SSN record you can do that with your marriage certificate, but you will not be issued a SSN card until you have evidence of wirk authorization.

RM 10211.605 Request for a Replacement SSN Card Obtained for a Nonwork Purpose

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211605

A. Correcting Numident data when a replacement card cannot be issued

If the alien does not provide evidence of work authorization or a valid nonwork reason, explain that we cannot issue a replacement card.

1. Alien provides documentation supporting the change

Although the FO cannot issue a replacement card, you may correct the Numident if the alien provides documentation supporting the change (e.g., a name change).

If the alien provides documentation supporting the change, process the replacement card application to update the Numident information but suppress the issuance of a card.

-- Answer “yes” to the "Suppress card issuance" question on the SSNAP Additional Information screen and record the nonwork reason documentation on the SSNAP Proof of Legal Alien Status screen.

--Provide written notice, using Form SSA-L676, to explain that we cannot issue a replacement card because the applicant did not present appropriate authorization permitting him or her to work in the U.S. and has not provided evidence of a valid nonwork reason for an SSN.

Thank you!! :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.