Kyrgyzfriend

Adjustment of status from tourist visa

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Kyrgyzstan
Timeline

Hi there, yesterday I posted a topic entitled adjustment of status due to marriage and had 55 views but no responses. I don't know if no one knew any answers to my questions, but I figured I ask them again. In February I posted a new topic about getting married on/adjusting the status of a tourist visa, which can be found here: http://www.visajourn...-tourist-visa/. Now from the answers we've received and what we've been able to find out on our own, it seems that given our current situation, we'd be able to get married while my fiancée's here and then just file for an adjust of status along with an I-130 without much of any problems. We have 2 additional questions though concerning this...

1. Is there anything else (besides filing an adjustment of status along with an I-130) that would need to be done either before or after we would get married, like getting a physical/various shots, filing working papers (or would the green card take care of that), etc.?

2. Is there any sort of time frame that we would need to get married within before her visa expires or could we get married anytime before then?

That's it for now... Thanks for reading and for any help you may be, we appreciate it!

Edited by Kyrgyzfriend

Hi there, yesterday I posted a topic entitled adjustment of status due to marriage and had 55 views but no responses. I don't know if no one knew any answers to my questions, but I figured I ask them again. In February I posted a new topic about getting married on/adjusting the status of a tourist visa, which can be found here: http://www.visajourn...-tourist-visa/. Now from the answers we've received and what we've been able to find out on our own, it seems that given our current situation, we'd be able to get married while my fiancée's here and then just file for an adjust of status along with an I-130 without much of any problems. We have 2 additional questions though concerning this...

1. Is there anything else (besides filing an adjustment of status along with an I-130) that would need to be done either before or after we would get married, like getting a physical/various shots, filing working papers (or would the green card take care of that), etc.?

Yes - read the guides above - you will need a medical exam, other documents, and applications for AP/EAD. The EAD is used prior to the greencard for working purposes.

2. Is there any sort of time frame that we would need to get married within before her visa expires or could we get married anytime before then?

You should get the AOS done prior to the I-94 expiring, so that means get married prior to that. You want to protect your status at all costs.

That's it for now... Thanks for reading and for any help you may be, we appreciate it!

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Do we need to fill out an EAD or could we just file for green card and wait for that and what other documents would we need?

I would fill out the application for the EAD - you don't know how long it will take for the greencard,

Also - if you file the AOS (and it's accepted), there is no application fee for the EAD. (there is normally). You can file with the AOS or after (with proof of the AOS filing).

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: Country: Kyrgyzstan
Timeline

I would fill out the application for the EAD - you don't know how long it will take for the greencard,

Also - if you file the AOS (and it's accepted), there is no application fee for the EAD. (there is normally). You can file with the AOS or after (with proof of the AOS filing).

Thanks, is there any other documents we would need, other than that which is required when filing an I-130 and adjustment of status, and when would we need to get a medical exam?

Thanks, is there any other documents we would need, other than that which is required when filing an I-130 and adjustment of status, and when would we need to get a medical exam?

Read the guides above - they spell out when/what/how you need to do things - !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.