haze

While I'm sitting here waiting...

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My fiance has just submitted our I-129F petition for our K-1 visa for me to move to the U.S. All we've received was a receipt notifying us that they have received our package. So we aren't too far along at all as you can see.

However, me being the psycho that I am. I just like getting all of my ducks in a row before the event happens. I love being prepared before the storm hits so to speak.

So, what can we do while we wait for the next step?

I know I need a medical exam, I believe I have all of my vaccinations (save for a TDap shot) So I'll get that taken care of next week most likely. But what I'm curious about is if I can have my medical exam done ahead of time? Does anyone have an up to date price on the toronto office's price for this medical exam? And how long of a wait is there for an appointment to be made for this exam? Also, to my understanding I will not be required to get this exam again when I apply for my AoS, what will I need for when I apply for AoS? Is there a transcript I should request when I am getting my medical exam done for the K-1?

Also I see that police certificates are needed or something? I've never been convicted of a crime, will I still need these? If so, how in the world do I go about getting them?

How should my fiance go about getting 3 years of tax records for the I-134/I-864? He lives in Pennsylvania and we've had a few discussions about how he has no clue how to get these records. I also really have no clue how things like that work down there so I can't really coach him on how to get these documents.

Is there anything else I could be doing to prepare for this big move? 8 hours away form home! YIKES! I have a little 98 Saturn I'd love to bring with me initially if possible. Will the dashboard need to be converted to miles? As well as the odometer? I have miles on my speedometer however they are a secondary unit of measure. I believe there's a letter I'll need to get from GM up in Oshawa right? (Saturn is a part of GM now right? @.@)If it's going to be too costly I may consider just selling the car and buying a used car after I move. But I'd love to have a car to drive down in when I go to move... lol Either way, could this process be started now? Or should I wait?

I can't think of anything else really... But this is why I'm asking you guys! Is there anything else I can have lined up before my interview package arrives?

Thanks for reading my rant!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi Haze,

I will answer what I can and there are lots of K1ers here who i'm sure can answer the rest :)

Also I see that police certificates are needed or something? I've never been convicted of a crime, will I still need these? If so, how in the world do I go about getting them?

You can go to an RCMP station or your local police station. Tell them you need a name check. It should note that the Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC) or the national criminal records repository was searched using the applicants name and date of birth.

More info here: http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/Canada#Police_Checks

How should my fiance go about getting 3 years of tax records for the I-134/I-864? He lives in Pennsylvania and we've had a few discussions about how he has no clue how to get these records.

He can order tax transcripts from the IRS, this is free:

http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=110571,00.html

I have a little 98 Saturn I'd love to bring with me initially if possible. Will the dashboard need to be converted to miles? As well as the odometer? I have miles on my speedometer however they are a secondary unit of measure. I believe there's a letter I'll need to get from GM up in Oshawa right? (Saturn is a part of GM now right? @.@)If it's going to be too costly I may consider just selling the car and buying a used car after I move. But I'd love to have a car to drive down in when I go to move... lol Either way, could this process be started now? Or should I wait?

You need a Letter of Compliance. Contact GM, they will know what you are talking about. You don't need to convert your odometer.

Your fiance can attend the interview if he wants to - or not, up to you :)

Edited by trailmix

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

1-800-829-1040

That is the number to call to get IRS transcripts. You can get them by fax or by mail. I only had to wait about 10 minutes on hold before I spoke with a rep. Was quick and easy experience, not at all what you would expect from the IRS.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

As far as the medical goes, check out this website: http://www.panelphysicians.com/

This is Dr. Seiden's office in Toronto. It gives you information on what to expect, how much the exam will cost, how long it will take to get your results, and what vaccinations will be required of you.

You cannot book your medical exam quite yet. After your petition is approved, travels through NVC and is sent to the consulate in Montreal, they will send you a Packet 3 filled with information and forms to fill out. In order to book your medical, you will need the first page of your Packet 3 or your interview letter from Montreal. They require you bring something with your name and MTL case number on it.

You are not required to have a new medical for AOS, as long as your Canadian medical is less than a year old on the day you file. Dr. Seiden will give you a photocopy of your vaccination supplement from your medical results, and you will keep this and use it at AOS time. Some get away with just including this photocopied paper in their AOS petition, and some receive RFE's asking them to have form I-693 filled out by a US civil surgeon. I wouldn't worry too much about this now since it is so far off, but if you do receive an RFE for this information, you would need to find a local civil surgeon in your area that is willing to fill out the I-693 without administering a new medical. There is a thread in the AOS forum here on VJ that lists doctors known to perform this service, so you might want to take a look in there when you get closer to that point.

And your USC fiance doesn't need to attend the interview with you. He certainly can if he wants, but it is not required. When USC's attend the interview it is mostly just for moral support.

Timeline

However, me being the psycho that I am. I just like getting all of my ducks in a row before the event happens. I love being prepared before the storm hits so to speak.

So, what can we do while we wait for the next step?

I can't think of anything else really... But this is why I'm asking you guys! Is there anything else I can have lined up before my interview package arrives?

Thanks for reading my rant!

Well remember to fasten your emotional seatbelt for the ride ahead in a world where paper and process determine the progress of starting a home life with your loved one.

Lots of info and experiences on VJ so you know your not alone.

At least your only 8 hours apart so it makes a lot of little visits pretty easy.

Welcome and may you have good fortune on the journey!

12-14-2009 I-129F Petition sent

12-21-2009 Petition received CSC

12-24-2009 NOA1

12-28-2009 "touched"

12-30-2009 Check cashed

04-20-2010 NOA2 approved!

04-24-2010 NOA2 received hard copy

04-26-2010 NVC received petition

04-28-2010 NVC sent case to Montreal consulate?

05-07-2010 Montreal transferred case to Vancouver consulate!

05-18-2010 Vancouver received case and sent out Packet 3

05-21-2010 Received Packet 3 letter from Vancouver consulate

05-25-2010 Faxed Packet 3 to Vancouver consulate

05-31-2010 Received Packet 4 Vancouver consulate interview letter

06-09-2010 Medical exam appointment

06-23-2010 Vancouver consulate interview

08-24-2010 Filed for AOS, EAD and AP

08-31-2010 NOA for AOS, EAD and AP

09-30-2010 Appointment for Biometrics

12-06-2010 AOS Appointment in Sacramento

12-10-2010 AOS Approved!

12-20-2010 Recieved Green Card

Good luck. :) Others have already wonderfully answered most of your questions, but I just wanted to add that if you don't have the long form of your birth certificate (the full page registration version, not just the card size) you will also need that. You can order it easily online here https://www.orgforms.gov.on.ca/eForms/start.do?lang=en It is $35 for your first copy. It will probably arrive within a week (they're amazingly efficient at getting them sent out.)

You DO need the police certificate, regardless of whether your a criminal or not. :lol: It basically proves that you're NOT. Get 2 copies. I agree about waiting on the medical. It's nice to get it out of the way, but at the same time it's best to wait as long as you can since it is only valid for one year. Doing it about 3 weeks - 1 month before the interview is my suggestion. Or basically make your appointment after you send back the Packet 3. I don't recall how far in advance you have to book it. I think just 2 weeks or so.

Also, regarding the move... 8 hours is lucky! Just to put things in perspective, many of us have had to move from coast to coast. My husband (then fiancé! lol) and I had a 4-5 day drive (or 12-15 hour plane journey from door to door) between our homes. I would relish an 8 hr drive! You shouldn't have TOO much culture shock, but be aware of foods that you won't get in the U.S. that you have in Canada. It sounds silly, but it's suddenly a big impact when your favourite comfort foods aren't around anymore and you have to substitute. I.e. Tim Horton's, President's Choice brands, and so on. *wistful sigh*

Spend as much time with your friends and family now as possible. Plan ways to stay in touch; post cards, letters, facebook, email, make a photo blog to show them your new home.... whatever works. :)

Also, don't forget that you're getting married. lol You have to figure out what you plan to do for your wedding. How big, how small, who's invited, where will it be (venue-wise), will you have another bigger one back in Canada later on (many k-1s do this).

People say it's not necessary for the fiancé to attend the interview. While that's absolutely true, I can't imagine going through that without him with me. It was great to have him there, and a good experience for us to have together. If you can reasonably manage for him to be with you without too much hardship, I'd suggest it. :)

Again, good luck. :)

Edited by ashenflowers

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

(Saturn is a part of GM now right? @.@)

:ot: Not that it's relevant to your overall questions, but Saturn has always been, since its inception in the early '80s and first production vehicles in 1990, a subsidiary of General Motors. As a brand, it is not expected to survive GM's bankruptcy, has already ceased new vehicle production, and is expected to close in October of this year. Saturn vehicles will continue to be serviced by other GM servicers/dealers.

(source)

Pauley on Twitter

Pauley on Facebook

Wedding photos on Flickr

*** If you add me on Twitter or Facebook from here, let me know who you are so I don't ignore/block you out-of-hand 'cause I don't recognize you! :)

Timeline

Huh, interesting. And yeah I suppose I should be grateful that it's only 8 hours. It still seems like such an eternity away since I'm so close to my family here in Canada. lol

So how did you guys go about planning a wedding? Me and my fiance haven't made ANY plans yet since we really have no idea when we'll be able to have one. When you guys had your second marriage in Canada did you guys do that renewing your vows thing? Or did you just have a reception? I'm just curious to get some ideas for myself :) We talked about just having a courthouse wedding with just immediate family attending... Every little girls dream right? Not quite. We're pretty broke after all of these immigration fees too right off the bat so we may have to do a bigger wedding later on regardless!!

Thanks for the heads up on the full sheet version of a birth certificate. Honestly I had no idea these even existed believe it or not. I've only had the card one as far as I can remember. I'll have to ask my mom if she ever got the other one because I bet she'd still have it somewhere. She's handy like that.

Huh, interesting. And yeah I suppose I should be grateful that it's only 8 hours. It still seems like such an eternity away since I'm so close to my family here in Canada. lol

So how did you guys go about planning a wedding? Me and my fiance haven't made ANY plans yet since we really have no idea when we'll be able to have one. When you guys had your second marriage in Canada did you guys do that renewing your vows thing? Or did you just have a reception? I'm just curious to get some ideas for myself :) We talked about just having a courthouse wedding with just immediate family attending... Every little girls dream right? Not quite. We're pretty broke after all of these immigration fees too right off the bat so we may have to do a bigger wedding later on regardless!!

Thanks for the heads up on the full sheet version of a birth certificate. Honestly I had no idea these even existed believe it or not. I've only had the card one as far as I can remember. I'll have to ask my mom if she ever got the other one because I bet she'd still have it somewhere. She's handy like that.

We had to settle for just a 'parents only' courthouse wedding. I was actually really disappointed to be honest, but it was still a nice day. Thankfully the courthouse here is BEAUTIFUL, so we were really lucky. I was really sad that our friends/other family couldn't be there, but thems the breaks. lol In the end, we didn't go into debt over the wedding, and we are married. lol

We can't afford to do the 2nd wedding/reception/vow renewal, though originally we wanted to. We also couldn't afford a honeymoon. Ya just have to prepare to sacrifice a little I guess. And don't expect as many presents... :lol:

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

Timeline

We had to settle for just a 'parents only' courthouse wedding. I was actually really disappointed to be honest, but it was still a nice day. Thankfully the courthouse here is BEAUTIFUL, so we were really lucky. I was really sad that our friends/other family couldn't be there, but thems the breaks. lol In the end, we didn't go into debt over the wedding, and we are married. lol

We can't afford to do the 2nd wedding/reception/vow renewal, though originally we wanted to. We also couldn't afford a honeymoon. Ya just have to prepare to sacrifice a little I guess. And don't expect as many presents... :lol:

Rofl good to know. Yeah I have a feeling we'll be doing the same thing. There are just some things that are more important in life such as a living space and basic human needs. lol It's nice knowing that I'm not the only gal out there who will be doing that though. :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.