mdusa

Where are K-1 approvals sent?

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi all

My Canadian fiance just received her notice from the US Embassy in her city to begin gathering materials and prepping for the interview. Assuming all goes well (no reason it shouldn't!), in what form and where is the approval sent? Is it an official letter, and is it sent to both myself (petitioner) and fiance, or just one of us?

Here's my issue and source of current heartburn. I'm closing on a new home and had to move temporarily between the address from which I began the Visa application process, and where I will ultimately live in about 2-3 weeks. I've updated my address online and via phone with USCIS for my temporary address, but don't seem to be getting my papers, including NOA2 (although I saw that it was approved online and obviously paperwork has moved through NVC to embassy). I just want to make sure that we get the final approval papers for entry and record.

Thanks for help!

She will be informed at interview as to whether or not her visa was approved. They don't send anything.

I would do whatever you can, though, to get your hands on the NOA2 hard copy. You'll need it during AOS. Start by calling USCIS and letting them know you did not receive it, despite filling out your change of address online.

Once she arrives and you do your adjustment of status, file those forms with your new address and you should be fine for future correspondence.

Edited by TracyTN
SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You having moved is not a problem with regards to the interview or visa approval. Once your fiancee gets her Packet 3, all of the processing is done by her personally until she shows up on your doorstep after PoE. The consulate leaves the petitioner completely out of the loop.

I second on Tracy's advice though. The AOs process will need a copy of that I-129F NOA2 approval notice. If calling the 800 phone number for USCIS doesn't accomplish anything (it's not called the mis-information line for no reason!) make an InfoPass appointment to get that sorted out. You have some time, obviously. AOS can't be filed until after you marry (though it should ideally be filed within the 90 days after she enters on the K-1), but you really won't feel like dealing with immigration stuff after the wedding. Best to get it out of the way as soon as reasonably possible.

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.