Buttons

Canadian School System

9 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Just getting ready to enroll my daughter in school in the USA. I've known for awhile that a Catholic education is considered private but it get's my goat that you must pay to receive this education. I don' think Jesus asked to be paid for his preachings.

The good thing about Canada is that this is still a school system that is covered under tax payor dollars. I am very greatful that I received this education from JK straight through till grade 12. It was a luxury that I have come to realize I took for granted.

No real point to this post but to vent my fustration.

Feb. 15/ 07 --- GC approved

Nov. 17/09 -- I-751 sent (Day 1)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Buttons, I had a Catholic education in the States (grade 1-8) and it was superior. So superior, many Jewish families wanted their kids enrolled. In Ontario, I was a student teacher (Catholic) and was appalled by the low standards. Being a government-designed curriculum, there was too much emphasis on multiculturalism and not enough on the 3Rs.

If you've enrolled your child in a Catholic school in the States, you're giving her an invaluable gift. She'll be well prepared for college, which now is the doorway to a decent job.

There's a strict division of Church and State in the U.S., which is why Catholic schools are private. In Canada, Catholic schools have been funded, by law, since the 1800s. But that could change, since it's now seen as discriminatory toward other religious schools.

Edited by Jersey Girl

I-130 sent Mar 30, 06

approved Aug 15, 06

I-129f sent April 24, 06

approved July 27, 06

Montreal interview Jan 18, 07

POE Toronto Jan 28, 07

EAD sent Jan. 30, 07

transferred to Vermont Feb 12

biometrics Feb 22

approved March 13

card returned undeliverable! March 27

called after 6 weeks to have EAD re-sent

AOS sent Jan. 30, 07

biometrics Feb 22

RFE for complete medical (!) Feb 23

Called Senator from NJ - never returned call

Infopass March 19 (no help)

Replied to RFE with duplicate medical March 19

Sent additional evidence (I-693A) March 26

NBC received supplement March 30

touched April 4

Interview July 16

Timeline

I thought the Canadian school system was a better system. I will find out soon enough !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I just registered my kids today. They were in Catholic school in Canada, but now they will just be in regular school. I am slightly put off ...ok very put off by the apparent gang related issues at schools here. It is unnerving, they can't carry back packs or have pockets on their pants over a certain size....etc. It really freaks me out. If I could afford a better school I would do it in a minute.

*January 24 2006 - mailed in I129-F petition

*January 25 2006 - I129-F received at CSC

*January 30 2006 - packet returned.....arggggggggg we forgot one signature!!

*January 31 2006 - sent I129-F back to the CSC, hope we did not forget anything else

*February 1 2006 - I129-F received at CSC again

*February 3 2006 - NOA1

*April 20 2006 - NOA2!!!!!

*April 24 2006 - Touched!

*May 15 2006 - NVC received petition today!

*May 17 2006 - Case left NVC today!!

*May 30 2006 - Received Packet 3 from Vancouver!

*May 30 2006 - Faxed back Packet 3!!

*June 6 2006 - Received packet 4!

*June 20 2006 - Medical in Saskatoon

*June 28 2006 - Interview in Vancouver!!

*June 28 2006 - GOT THE VISA!!!*June 30 2006 - Moving day!

*July 3 2006 - Home at last!!

*July 28 2006 - married!

*September 13 2006 - Mailed AOS/EAD package

*September 25 2006 - Received NOA for AOS/EAD

*October 6 2006 - Biometrics appointments

*October 10 2006 - Touched!

*October 19 2006 - Transferred to CSC!

*October 26 2006 - Received by CSC

*October 27 2006 - Touched

*October 28 2006 - Touched again

*October 31 2006 - Touched again

*November 2 2006 - Touched again

*November 3 2006- and another touch

*November 7 2006- touched

*November 7 2006 - My case approved, still waiting for kids!

*November 8 2006 - Touched my case again

*November 13 2006 - Greencard arrived...yeah I can work!

*November 14 2006 - Touched my case again

*January 2007 - RFE for kids Greencard.

*February 2007 - kids medical and sent in RFE

*February 2007 - Received kids greencards

Timeline

My mother in law is a teacher at the school my daughter will attend so she placed her in the grade. However in Canada she was in JK and then K in the US there is no JK so I am hopingshe will be alittle more advanced. She also went fullday everyday since JK. So that is two full years of full time education. While here it is half day for Kindergarden and no Junior kindergarden.

Timeline

I'm totally freaked out about public school in the US .. We ( me and my kids ) live @ a large ski resort and my children go to a school with 2 teachers for each classroom ( or a teacher and an helper ) with classes avg. 15 students per class ( we are a bit spoiled ) I have to wonder how the school when we move will compare with about 10x more students enrolled. I'm thankful my parents have offered to help with private school if things don't go well @ public school. There is always places like Sylvan Learning for extra help if private school is too tooo expensive .. It's just one thing after the next after the next .. The price of love :luv:

~My AOS (K1)

Jan 19/07 NOA1

Feb 05/07 Transfered to CSC

Feb 08/07 Biometrics

Mar 30/07 Welcome notice sent

April 10/07 Card production ordered

April 13/07 Approval notice sent

April 16/07 Green card in hand

~My Sons AOS (K2) Age 11

Jan 19/07 NOA1

Feb 05/07 Transfered to CSC

Feb 08/07 Biometrics

Mar 30/07 Welcome notice sent

April 10/07 Card production ordered

April 13/07 Approval notice sent

April 16/07 Green card in hand

~My Daughters AOS (K2) Age 9

Jan 19/07 NOA1

Feb 07/07 RFE Snail mail

Feb 08/07 Biometrics

Feb 14/07 sent back RFE ~ Feb 21/07 email resp. RFE

Feb 29/07 Transfered to CSC !!

April 03/07 Card production ordered

April 04/07 Welcome notice sent

April 07/07 Welcome notice & Green card arrived

Filed: Other Timeline

Home Schooling. Its not just for religious fanatics anymore!

;)

says Buffy the Vampire Slayer :D

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Do any of these school districts off an education voucher?

"An education voucher, commonly called a school voucher, is a certificate by which parents are given the ability to pay for the education of their children at a school of their choice, rather than the public school to which they were assigned."

Call the school board office and inquire.

.......and homeschooling, as Reba said, isnt just for the fanatics anymore. Many parents are choosing this path in an attempt to take their children from the public system and provide a more individual -based education for their children ...among the many reasons.

I homeschooled my children for a year while we were living on and off between Canada and the US. The particular school district where we lived refused to educate my children because, " we were not Canadian", without a $22,000.00 up front fee. They required that we apply for Canadian residency which I was not willing to do as we were not going to be permanent residents. I felt that applying would jeopordize our ability to cross between the US and Canada during that year. So, with no way around the rules we opted for the homeschooling path. I found several sites online that offer a curriculum you can purchase, complete with books, worksheets, and tests. A few even offered diploma programs in which they, after the child was tested , would issue a real diploma. We were fortunate that the school district in which we live in the US offered us the shool text books to use for the year so we did not require a purchased curriculum. I found homeschooling much easier than I expected. We actually covered all the subjects fully and went back for another time over that year. My children returned to public school last year and all made A's and B's for the entire year . That sure aleviated my fears that they had missed something along the way. One of children was a 9th grader at the time of homeschooling and when she returned to public high school I simply provided her with a transcript for the year, using a form I also found online. According to the state , it is at the discretion of the school's principal to accept homeschooling credits or not. Our principal did accept her credits toward the requirement for graduation. If your child will not return to mainstream public or private school and the concern is their abilty to attend colleg with homeschooling credits , I have read more and more about the number of post secondary schools accepting homeschooling credits as homeschooled children are scoring higher on their ACT's. Again, not all colleges and universities are on board with this but as more and more parents are opting for a homeschooled education , it seems that may change.

So in conclusion , there are many options out there other than the below standard some public schools offer. I talked to a lot of people , I asked a lot of questions and didnt take no as a first answer.

Good Luck to you all

google.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.