7 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Mexico
Timeline

I'm sorry for being so naive, but I'm learning little by little. In our situation, she came EWI 5/2004 then she had her daugther in Houston 10/2005. We got married in June 2006 and she is currently 4 months pregnant with my child. She has never been in trouble here or Mexico, and even worked as a Lawyer in Mexico because she has a Pre-Law degree from a University in her home town. Is our next step the I-129 and the I-130 together or one before the other? When do we let the FBI check the fingerprints? We have a Immigration Counselor here in Houston that is advising us to do a "FBI" fingerprint scan before we file the I-130. It will cost $75.00 plus $18.00 to the office. Is this scan necessary? I'm really trying to understand the whole procedure. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Can you explain what "EWI" means? Is your wife here legally?

I don't know why you would need the FBI check before filing I-130, that is usually done as part of the procedure if you file I-130 and I-485 concurrently only a few weeks after filing usually.

Filed: Country: Mexico
Timeline
Can you explain what "EWI" means? Is your wife here legally?

I don't know why you would need the FBI check before filing I-130, that is usually done as part of the procedure if you file I-130 and I-485 concurrently only a few weeks after filing usually.

Entered without inspection. She crossed here illegally 5/2004. Is the FBI check party of one of the packets. I just don't want to pay money to someone when we can do it ourselves. I heard that a I-129 form can speed things up. Do I file a I-130 and I-129 at the same time or separate? So confused.

Entered without inspection. She crossed here illegally 5/2004.

Then you should be asking these questions of an immigration lawyer.

Is the FBI check party of one of the packets. I just don't want to pay money to someone when we can do it ourselves.

You have to pay for Biometrics/FBI check anyway, I can't see any good reason to do it before filing for AOS. That sounds like it would just complicate things.

I heard that a I-129 form can speed things up.

I-129F (I assume you don't mean I-129) is only for getting a Visa for a fiancee. You are married so won't be filing this form.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Entered without inspection. She crossed here illegally 5/2004.

Then you should be asking these questions of an immigration lawyer.

Is the FBI check party of one of the packets. I just don't want to pay money to someone when we can do it ourselves.

You have to pay for Biometrics/FBI check anyway, I can't see any good reason to do it before filing for AOS. That sounds like it would just complicate things.

I heard that a I-129 form can speed things up.

I-129F (I assume you don't mean I-129) is only for getting a Visa for a fiancee. You are married so won't be filing this form.

I-129F is also used for K-3, btw.

Kseniya (Ukraine) and Gary (USA)

05-27-2005 I-129F package arrives at TSC signed for by "M.S."

...A bunch of waiting and worrying...

10-14-2005 Passport with K-1 Visa delivered

02-14-2006 Everyone is home!

03-04-2006 Wedding date!

07-25-2006 AOS/AP package FINALLY completed and sent

08-04-2006 AOS/AP NOA's received

11-06-2006 Interview Successful!

11-13-2006 Welcome to America letter received

Filed: Timeline

Curelover,

I-129 is a petition for an alien worker. I can't imagine how that would speed things up in your situation, and with the amount of overstay that your wife has I don't think that you want her to be applying for a visa of any kind.

I agree with dr_lha - you want to be talking with an immigration attorney.

Yodrak

Entered without inspection. She crossed here illegally 5/2004. Is the FBI check party of one of the packets. I just don't want to pay money to someone when we can do it ourselves. I heard that a I-129 form can speed things up. Do I file a I-130 and I-129 at the same time or separate? So confused.
Edited by Yodrak

I-129F is also used for K-3, btw.

Yes OK (the name "Petition for Alien Fiance" threw me I guess). However a K3 is a visa, which she would only need if she wasn't in the country, which she is, legally or not.

Edited by dr_lha

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.