Ricky+Vanessa

Travel to US between receivig PKT4 and interview date

6 posts in this topic

I remember reading lots of questions about this and various answers so I thought I would add my two pence.

Got back from visiting Ricky in ATL yesterday. I didn't have ANY problems with immigration which was such a relief. I brought my interview letter just in case to proove that I intended to follow the proper route and that my daughter was also being filed for (he didn't come with me).

I was asked the purpose of my trip as usual and said I was visiting my fiance. He asked when we planned to get married and I said later this year. He asked about work (they always seem to ask me that - I must look unemployed (however, that looks)). Told him and he asked if I would be doing that in the States - said no as it's too dangerous. We had a laugh and a joke about Ricky working double hard so I can be a housewife (he said that not me but I wasn't complaining...Ricky, however, found this less funny after I relayed the story :lol: ).

All in all I was no longer than anyone else there.

SO glad I went though..we got SO much done. We got the marriage certificate (yay) which is good for one year. Visited schools middle and high for where we live as my daugther is at that transition age and we were unsure (along with some issues I have concerning her schooling). The schools were both FABULOUS and very helpful. I now know exactly what to do when we get there. We also went to the DMV regarding a Georgia licence. So I am now very aware of the rules regarding my current licence and have the book to revise :)

Just thought I'd share....

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Thanks for sharing! Just wondering, will I have to take a physical and theory test to get a US driving licence? I do have a UK licence and have drove rental cars in the US.

Also, how long does it take to get a marriage certificate?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I got my p3 in january and was allowed to stay in the states for the ENTIRE MONTH of february. Came back and am now packing and getting ready to move when i have my interview on the 30th. Granted i'm Canadian, but as long as you bring your proof your fine. Note i was also in the u.s.a for 2 weeks at xmas when i did not even know my interview date. this late in the game, i do not think CBP really worries as they already know your intent is to move and get married and you have gone through all the legal means to get your visa.

Edited by Kimbear

HWDWm6.png

It really doesn't have much to do with where you are in the immigration process (unless you do have your K1 visa in hand, then it's a one-way ticket), but rather if you can convince the border guard that you're not going to overstay and immigrate intentionally. So definitely your interview letter and whatever documentation you have to prove that you intend to come back...

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

meant to edit my post but i can't lol

FYI i also had two poe refusals in 2008, and those did not hinder my entrance whatsoever. they did ask about it but i told the truth that i was refused due to "insuffient ties".

HWDWm6.png

Thanks for sharing! Just wondering, will I have to take a physical and theory test to get a US driving licence? I do have a UK licence and have drove rental cars in the US.

Also, how long does it take to get a marriage certificate?

I think it varies from state to state. The woman at the DMV told me that I had to, however, reading the book that I was given it sems to be conflicting...

Got the marriage licence in around 20 mins. Including waiting, doing the oath thing and getting the actual document.

It really doesn't have much to do with where you are in the immigration process (unless you do have your K1 visa in hand, then it's a one-way ticket), but rather if you can convince the border guard that you're not going to overstay and immigrate intentionally. So definitely your interview letter and whatever documentation you have to prove that you intend to come back...

Justine, this was my thinking behind the post. I was very nervous due to reading so many different reports. Since I did it and it went OK I thought I would let others know :)

meant to edit my post but i can't lol

FYI i also had two poe refusals in 2008, and those did not hinder my entrance whatsoever. they did ask about it but i told the truth that i was refused due to "insuffient ties".

That's a good thing! I just wish there had been a little more about the line of questioning to expect if you are considering and just for others to know it's possible. This time was really useful for me to be able to do some ground work.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.