benmariela

employment authorization card

2 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

My wife has received her employment authorization card but not her green card yet. She is a k-1 recipient, married in the US, and applying for AOS.

having said that, she has a Social Security Card from when she was a J-1 exchange visitor 2 years ago. When she applied for a job they asked for

her social security card. She showed them that one and her employment authorization. We have heard no word from USCIS about a

social security card change or anything, but the potential employer said she needs to go to the SSA to have her card changed to her new name.

I am wondering if this is correct and if the same social security card is valid??? help please.

If this is correct, what is the process?

Applied for K-1 visa - Feb 26, 2009

Recieved K-1 Visa - Aug 6, 2009

Married - Oct 23, 2009

Applied for AOS, i-485, i-765, & i-131 - Dec 6, 2009

i-765 & i-131 approved - Feb 1, 2010

I - 485 approved - Pending

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
My wife has received her employment authorization card but not her green card yet. She is a k-1 recipient, married in the US, and applying for AOS.

having said that, she has a Social Security Card from when she was a J-1 exchange visitor 2 years ago. When she applied for a job they asked for

her social security card. She showed them that one and her employment authorization. We have heard no word from USCIS about a

social security card change or anything, but the potential employer said she needs to go to the SSA to have her card changed to her new name.

I am wondering if this is correct and if the same social security card is valid??? help please.

If this is correct, what is the process?

If she has taken your name she will need to go get her SSC updated to her new name. Once her greencard comes in you will need to get it updated again to have the conditions removed. It will be the same number, just with the right info on it.

The process is, fill out a form with her new name and her SSN, bring it to a local SS office along with her passport with her K1 stamp and I-94, her EAD (showing shes still authorized to be here) and a copy of your marriage cert (to prove the name change). They need the name on her SSC to match the one on her EAD. Takes about 2-3 weeks to get the new one in the mail.

Edited by Danu

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.