marie007

I want to return

2 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello;

Where do I begin? I got my green card. I got a severe ear infection, I have a history of ear problems. I moved back home to Canada from the USA. I entered the USA on a CR1. At the US border in Maine, I told the custom I was leaving the USA for good. They took my green card. They ask me if I was sure, and I said well not really. They explain that I would not be able to use my medicare card in Canada while a conditional resident of the USA. So, I turn in my grren card, and wrote that I was abandening the USA. My reason that I wrote was that I was unable to adapt to the USA. They aslo explain that I would have to stand in front of a judge to return to the USA to be with my husband. I did not tell them about the ear infection, I was afraid, that they would not let me get in Canada to get treated. My husband had no health insurance.

I was home sick, and all sorts of things were happening, I honestly didn't give anything a chance. I love my husband very much. We married on June 16,2007. It took a long time for me to get to the USA and money.

What a mess. If I can't ever return to live, can I visit and stay 6 months at a time? Will they let me enter? :crying:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You could start the process over but yes, it sounds like you will have to address why you abandoned the green card the first time around. You should be able to visit - but you won't be able to 'live' in the US, which probably means you are very unllikely to be allowed to stay for 6 months on each visit. You are expected to be outside of the US at least as long as you are inside and you need to prove to the border authorities on each visit that you have strong ties to Canada that prevent you from staying in the US. If they suspect that you are trying to live in the US they could well deny you entrance to the US.

Have you and your husband discussed the options of him moving to live with you in Canada? That might be worth considering as well. You can find out more about the immigration route to Canada here: http://www.cic.gc.ca

(I'm sure you are realizing now that paying for treatment of your ear infection even without health insurance in the US would probably have been cheaper financially, emotionally and psychologically than giving up your green card so you could get it treated in Canada without out of pocket expenses. I hope that wasn't your only reason for returning to Canada and that you have addressed any of the relationship/adjustment issues that contributed to your decision).

I've also moved this thread from the Waivers and AP forum to the General Immigration Forum as a more appropriate location

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.