brocku00

POE story for IR1

3 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I responded to a previous post today about today's experience, so I will just copy and paste that so everyone can see....since it might be hard to find on another thread. Overall a great experience and very quick. Hope you enjoy and here it is:

Hi there,

I just wanted to totally agree with you since I just did the process today! I called Lewiston Bridge yesterday and explained the same thing about getting the ball rolling and not moving for a few months and he said that it was fine. So today I drove 35 minutes south, hit the PIL booth and told him I want to activate my Visa. So he sent me in. Within a few minutes I was called up and AGAIN I explained what I was looking to do and the officers (3 of them) said after activation that I have a year to move down!! So he told me to sit down for a few and relax. He called me up about 5 minutes later and took my fingerprints (electronic), my picture and then the old fashioned ink fingerprint (only one finger). He told me to sit down again and so I did. About 10 minutes later he called me up, explained how to cross the border and so on and said that's it, see ya later. I took my passport and drove down the street to the SS Office and applied for my SSN and my childrens. The SSN applications took about 20 minutes and the man said I should get them in the mail next week or the following week (in Canada). ***Just to let you know when you apply for SSN, have your passport with VISA (obviously!!) and your birth certificate....you need both.

So, I am now "ACTIVATED" and will have my SSN in a couple of weeks and I must say it was the easiest process yet. I drove from home, did the border thing, applied for SSN's and drove home in 3 hours and 45 minutes!! Not bad! Just one question though, the border officer said that I will be getting my GC in the mail in approx. 5-6 months. ......is this correct??? I swear I read peoples timelines that said it only took about a month. My Visa is a temp. GC for a year anyways, so I'm not worried about it....just curious.

So, hope this helps some people.....and I'm sure that every bridge or POE is going to be different. ...this was just my experience at Lewiston.

Sent I130 to Chicago - March 1, 2008

NOA 1- April, 2008

Transferred to California - April, 2008

NOA 2 - March 13, 2009 (lost for awhile)

NVC case number given - March 30, 2009

NVC case complete - April 25, 2009

Email for interview - July 3, 2009

Interview - August 12, 2009 DENIED!!

PROOF OF DOMICILE:

Package 1: sent August 13, 2009

Package 1: sent back August 23, 2009 -more proof needed

Package 2: sent September 3, 2009

Package 2: sent back Nov. 1, 2009 - more proof needed

Package 3: sent January 14, 2010

Package 3: APPROVED

Received VISA: MARCH 3, 2010!!!!!!

POE: Lewiston Bridge NY, March 4, 2010

SSN: ordered March 4, 2010

SSN: received March 17, 2010

GC Welcome Letter: March 16, 2010

GC Arrived: March 22, 2010

Citizenship Application Start Date: September 2011!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Congratulations! Nice to hear things working out the way they are supposed to :) . I would be very surprised if it took that long for you to get your green card. I expect the Officer was playing it safe and allowing a fair amount of time for the card to arrive, knowing that if it did take that length of time you wouldn't be freaking out about it, and that if it showed up earlier you would be pleased. I think you can expect to receive it earlier. Your SSN card, however, might take longer than 2 weeks what with the verification requirement and the mail :) .

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Nice to hear that everything worked out well. Congrats. :thumbs:

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.