Kukolka

Buying a vehicle in Canada that will be importable

19 posts in this topic

A question from my fiance:

There may prove to be problems with the import of a vehicle through US customs from Canada, as I will need a letter from the manufacturer stating that my vehicle is up to US standards.

Are there any key areas I should watch out for, or any locations / people I can contact within the province of Ontario to have my vehicle regulated for the US standards to make this task more simple?

I have not purchased the car quite yet, however I am debating on the budget because if it costs too much to import, or I am simply unable to import the vehicle, that I don't want to be stuck trying to sell a car I bought in Canada for far less than I paid, have no income, and be stuck trying to get a new car for cheap in the US, or just having no car.

Can anyone refer me to a website with a list of requirements for imported vehicles to send on to the dealer?

I'd like to add to this, that one reason he doesn't want to wait until moving here to get a car, is so we'll be able to get around if I get a chance to fly up to visit him in Ontario; and so we can both drive out to meet halfway for weekend visits.

Edited by Kukolka

~ Long version of K-1 timeline in profile "About Me" ~

November 2007 - Met on Tortus server of Rappelz

3 October 2009 - Met IRL

13 November 2010 - POE Lewiston NY

28 November 2010 - Married!

23 December 2010 - Filed for AOS/EAD/AP

31 January 2011 - walk-in Biometrics

04 March 2011 - Green Card Production ordered - no interview

05 December 2012 - Mailed I-751

VJsig.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'd like to add to this, that one reason he doesn't want to wait until moving here to get a car, is so we'll be able to get around if I get a chance to fly up to visit him in Ontario; and so we can both drive out to meet halfway for weekend visits.

depending on the make of the car....the letters are easy to get, or take a bit of time.... if he is worried that the car will not pass emissions test...perhaps he can request a compliance letter before purchase. It also depends on what state he is moving to as well as what the cost of import will be. Do a bit a research on VJ and on Google...

April 8, 2007- Met on-line playing World of Warcraft...Me a troll he a Tauren

10/11/2008 Married in Lakewood Washington

USCIS

12/08/2008 CR-1/I-130 mailed

12/19/2008 NOA1

03/09/2009 NOA2

03/09/2009 I-130 approved

NVC

03/19/2009 NVC case # generated

09/25/2009 Completed at NVC

01/11/2010 Interview Assigned..flight and hotel booked same day.

01/20/2010 Medical in Vancouver....no issues reported

02/05/2010 Interview in Montreal..APPROVED..with a few tears at the end!!

02/11/2010 POE...Peace Arch or PAC

thm_thm_php8UO03s.jpg

event.png

depending on the make of the car....the letters are easy to get, or take a bit of time.... if he is worried that the car will not pass emissions test...perhaps he can request a compliance letter before purchase. It also depends on what state he is moving to as well as what the cost of import will be. Do a bit a research on VJ and on Google...

Thank you.. we have done a bit of research, and found this http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/fmvss/index.html but it's very long, we're looking for a more straightforward list that the dealer could check through quickly, if there is such a thing. We don't know the make of car yet... that's part of what we're trying to figure out, which ones would be good. :)

The state is Connecticut.

Regarding requesting a compliance letter before purchase.. again in VJ research, I don't know about other brands but Toyota at least requires the date of departure from Canada, which he wouldn't be able to provide were he to buy the car now.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...t&p=2742916

3 October 2009 - Met IRL

VJsig.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The other thing you should take a look at - if the purchase is made less than 12 months prior to immigrating then you may be charged duty on the car even though it is personal property. That can add up to a pretty expensive addition.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Here's some information:

Requirements for importing a vehicle or vehicle parts

Question

Requirements for importing a vehicle or vehicle parts

Answer

Before you decide to import a vehicle or vehicle parts into the United States, you should ensure that they conform to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations. These agencies have very detailed requirements that can make importing a vehicle difficult, if not impossible, for some vehicles that were not originally manufactured for the U.S. market.

Nonconforming vehicles less than 25 years old entering the United States must be brought into compliance, exported, or destroyed.

Vehicles over 25 years old are exempt from EPA and DOT requirements, although you will still need to obtain and prepare EPA and DOT paperwork to provide to a Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Officer in order to clear your vehicle through CBP.

From a CBP standpoint, you must file an entry on the vehicle to receive the entry summary document CBP Form 7501. Filing an entry is initiated by declaring the car to a CBP officer when you enter the U.S. If your paperwork is in order, the officer will help you file the entry at the border. If you are not prepared, the officer may advise you to file the entry at a CBP port near your residence - however, in many cases the closest port could be 1-3 hours from your home, so it is in your best interest to be prepared to file the entry when you initially bring the vehicle into the U.S.

Without a copy of the CBP entry form, you will not be able to register the vehicle in the U.S.

Prior to filing your entry with CBP:

•Ensure you have valid proof of ownership, which is an original certificate of title, or a certified copy of the original

•Manufacturer's letter, stating that the vehicle conforms to EPA and DOT standards

•Completed EPA form 3520-1 and DOT form HS-7. (If the vehicle has stickers on the engine (EPA) and inside the drivers-side door (DOT) stating that the car was manufactured to U.S. standards, you will not need a manufacturers letter. Some vehicles are listed by make, model, and year on the DOT and EPA web sites as conforming. If your vehicle is one of those, that would also negate the need for a manufacturers letter

If the vehicle has not been in your household for at least one year, you will be required to pay 2.5% duty, which is assessed based on the purchase price or blue book value.

It is illegal to bring a car into the U.S. and sell it without first entering it through CBP. If you purchase a vehicle that was brought into the U.S. and sold without being properly entered through CBP, that vehicle is subject to seizure.

NEVER purchase a used vehicle in the U.S. if the owner cannot show that it is currently registered in the U.S. and demonstrate that it conforms to DOT and EPA standards.

If purchasing a vehicle from a dealer, they should handle registration for you, if they don't, the purchase should be contingent on your successful registration of the vehicle. (We get many calls from people who unwittingly purchased a vehicle that had been brought into the U.S. and then illegally sold. Buyer beware.)

The EPA has a detailed automotive facts manual describing emission requirements for imported vehicles. You can get a copy of the manual, entitled "The Automotive Imports Facts Manual" (order #EPA420B94006) or other information about importing motor vehicles by calling the EPA import hotline at (734) 214-4100 or in writing to:

Environmental Protection Agency

Box -J Investigation/Imports Section

Washington, D.C. 20460

You will need a copy of EPA form 3520-1, to enter the vehicle.

DOT enforces safety standards for vehicles. Nonconforming vehicles must be brought into conformance before they are eligible for entry. This process can be extremely expensive. Contact them for more information at 1-800-424-9393. You will need to obtain form HS-7.

For additional information on how to bring a vehicle or vehicle parts into the U.S. for personal use, please reference our brochure, "Importing a Vehicle."

If you intend to import for resale, you should read our publication entitled "Importing Into the United States".

2007 Nov 30: Met in Las Vegas, Nevada

2009 Jul 13: Proposed/Engaged in Sedona, Arizona

2009 Dec 26: Married in Tucson, Arizona

USCIS

2009 Dec 30: Filed I-130

2010 Jan 02: I-130 delivered

2010 Jan 07: NOA1 - email - CSC

2010 Jan 11: Received NOA1 hardcopy

2010 Mar 24: NOA2 - email & text - NVC

2010 Mar 29: Received NOA2 hardcopy

I-130 was approved in 76 days from NOA1 date

NVC

2010 Mar 30: NVC received - case# assigned - emails given to NVC

2010 Mar 30: Opted in - DS3032 emailed to NVC

2010 Mar 31: Received AOS bill & DS3032 - paid AOS

2010 Apr 05: Online payment portal confirms paid AOS(Apr 2 processing date)

2010 Apr 05: Sent I-864 package

2010 Apr 15: EP confirmation email

2010 Apr 15: IV bill generated & paid

2010 Apr 15: Email confirmation - receipt of DS3032

2010 Apr 16: IV bill confirmed paid - sent DS230 package

2010 Apr 19: NVC operator confirms I864 & DS230 documents have been received

2010 Apr 21: AVR confirms all documents received Apr 19th

2010 Apr 23: Email from NVC: case complete - confirmed by NVC - sign in fail

Completed in 24 days

CONSULATE

2010 May 27: Email from NVC - consulate received file - interview Montreal Jul 27th

2010 Jun 16: Medical @ Woking Medical Centre, Vancouver, Canada - APPROVED

2010 Jul 27: Interview @ US Consulate in Montreal, Canada - APPROVED

Your interview took 201 days from your I-130 NOA1 date

2010 Aug 13:POE Washington - APPROVED

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

2012 May 14 - mailed I-751

2012 May 16 - delivered @ CSC

2012 Jun 18 - I 551 stamp

2012 Jun 28 - biometrics appointment NOA notice date Jun 7

2012 Dec 20 - approved

The other thing you should take a look at - if the purchase is made less than 12 months prior to immigrating then you may be charged duty on the car even though it is personal property. That can add up to a pretty expensive addition.

I thought this was waived for spousal visas...

If not, then I'm now VERY concerned about this...

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

------------------------------------------

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You might consider renting a car for the duration of the visits and meetings.

That way you got wheels and can just return them when your done.

Save the hassle of buying, importing, registering, smogging a Canadian car in the US.

And if you wait and buy one down there it will have less RUST!

12-14-2009 I-129F Petition sent

12-21-2009 Petition received CSC

12-24-2009 NOA1

12-28-2009 "touched"

12-30-2009 Check cashed

04-20-2010 NOA2 approved!

04-24-2010 NOA2 received hard copy

04-26-2010 NVC received petition

04-28-2010 NVC sent case to Montreal consulate?

05-07-2010 Montreal transferred case to Vancouver consulate!

05-18-2010 Vancouver received case and sent out Packet 3

05-21-2010 Received Packet 3 letter from Vancouver consulate

05-25-2010 Faxed Packet 3 to Vancouver consulate

05-31-2010 Received Packet 4 Vancouver consulate interview letter

06-09-2010 Medical exam appointment

06-23-2010 Vancouver consulate interview

08-24-2010 Filed for AOS, EAD and AP

08-31-2010 NOA for AOS, EAD and AP

09-30-2010 Appointment for Biometrics

12-06-2010 AOS Appointment in Sacramento

12-10-2010 AOS Approved!

12-20-2010 Recieved Green Card

Timeline
I thought this was waived for spousal visas...

If not, then I'm now VERY concerned about this...

You are supposed to have owned your 'personal possessions' for a year or more to not attract duty.

However! I think, once again, it's up to the border personnel on the day.

There was someone here who had a new vehicle and she was worried about it...hmm what was her name - the person had a child that immigrated with her - and had a stripper story and has a picture of her and her husband on the beach for her VJ pic. Those are the clues lol

You are supposed to have owned your 'personal possessions' for a year or more to not attract duty.

There was someone here who had a new vehicle and she was worried about it...hmm what was her name - the person had a child that immigrated with her - and had a stripper story and has a picture of her and her husband on the beach for her VJ pic. Those are the clues lol

Meh...hopefully I get a good border guard then. I bought a car (a 2007 model) in July. Book value is still definitely in the five digits, so 2.5% is a rather large chunk of change. Probably more than $300.

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

If this is so, then it's probably not worth it for him to import the car if he does get one. :/

3 October 2009 - Met IRL

VJsig.png

You might consider renting a car for the duration of the visits and meetings.

That way you got wheels and can just return them when your done.

This was something I had suggested, and we'd decided against because it has some problems for us... but I guess we can still consider it since it may be the best available option...

It seems like weekend midpoint meetings are out, then... and us being able to visit again before he moves here is looking less and less possible. :(

3 October 2009 - Met IRL

VJsig.png

Timeline

Ok I remember who it was now - Poprocks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

:rofl: Omg trailmix!! That made me laugh so hard.

Yes, Poprocks. I wonder what happened to her! She disappeared.

But, I do remember that after arguing with the CBP they let her bring the car through without paying duty on it.

Please disregard my pessimism earlier today, I didn't know he already knew he'd have to pay duty on it. x)

LOOOOOOOOOL nice sleuthing! Here's the post, thanks! :} http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=199675

3 October 2009 - Met IRL

VJsig.png

(If the vehicle has stickers on the engine (EPA) and inside the drivers-side door (DOT) stating that the car was manufactured to U.S. standards, you will not need a manufacturers letter. Some vehicles are listed by make, model, and year on the DOT and EPA web sites as conforming. If your vehicle is one of those, that would also negate the need for a manufacturers letter

Wow. I've seen this document before, but somehow missed these important points. Thank you, zenaxe! This is something the dealer can look into easily! =D

3 October 2009 - Met IRL

VJsig.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.